What's the longest wave you've ever ridden?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Butts

Post by Butts » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:44 pm

kreepykrawly wrote:Collaroy point(1987). ...from the tip of the pool all the way to the beach
bullshit :evil:

NEVER BEEN DONE :P :lol:

SAsurfa
barnacle

Post by SAsurfa » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:11 pm

Not really great quality wave compared to the other waves around but probably a good 250-300m out at Goolwa, if you get a good one you can carve all day on the big open walls but the paddle back is stupid. Haven't actually surfed out there for nearly half a year now. Had some other pretty long ones at a suposed secret spot from out the back behind the jump off rocks all the way past the old jetty and nearly into the beachie.

Over hear though if your on the south coast your lucky to get a good 50m ride on the beachies.
Last edited by SAsurfa on Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barstardos
charger

Post by barstardos » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:11 pm

Merimbula bar at 4'-6'
Me and a mate going for record number of backhand reo's per wave.
i won with the last wave of a 6 hour session - 14 proper off the tops.
had to go in after that!

Chop
Grommet

Post by Chop » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:21 pm

T-Land in Timor, 2006, 400m, you get pretty tired arms after a few of these.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:58 pm

three sections at G-land, not sure how long that was but I rememnber the swell and tide had to be particulary right to get through three ...

longest in Aus was Crescent, many years back, just happened to be in the right place at the right time when a giant north cyclone swell came through, only three guys out, we were taking off as far out as you could get and finishing on the beach about 100m past the walking bridge, I was young and very fit but remember getting seven waves only and just couldn't surf anymore ... it was 15' and I had the pleasure of surfing with and watching Glenn Winton who was tearing the place apart ... quite a spectacular site that hardly anyone would have seen ....

Slowman
regular

Post by Slowman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:58 pm

sean-- wrote:The bay at Port Hacking
Yeah surfed it from nearly Bundeena Point through to Ship Rock at Lilli Pilli when it was like about 5-6' 25 years ago when the old wall got washed away. No walking back out for that one :(
Righthanders:
1. Rainbow through Greenmount into Cooli 600m?
2. Lennox from the point a loooong way down the beach 500m?
3. Andrew Molera State Park Beach (Big Sur California) from an island all the way into sandy point and down along the beach 500m?
4. Crescent from the point to the creek 400m?
5. Bundeena/Maianbar 400m?
6. Fengchuisha South Taiwan reef onto sand bank 300m
7. Seminyak some nice rights on the right day 200m?

For the lefts
1. Era Point out the back to the beach (pretty rare) 400m?
2. Green Island 400M?
3. North End Garie when the banks are right 300m?
4. North end Stanwell 250m?
5. North end Scarborough 250m?
6. Narawally ledge off island through to beach 250m?
7. the left off the right at Huntington at 7-8' it was screaming down the beach maybe 300m+ but you'd only make it about 150 before it overtook you, on it's day??

I should add these were rare occasions that cover nearly 40 years of surfing. And then of course as I get older there is the exaggeration of time.

There are a few long rights around Santa Cruz including Steamers Lane, I've seen them but never surfed them. Steamers looks like it has the potential to break from the point all the way through to the Boardwalk, with the right swell and banks that would be a good 600m or more.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:08 pm

surfin39 wrote:
longest in Aus was Crescent, many years back, just happened to be in the right place at the right time when a giant north cyclone swell came through, only three guys out, we were taking off as far out as you could get and finishing on the beach about 100m past the walking bridge, I was young and very fit but remember getting seven waves only and just couldn't surf anymore ... it was 15'....
Crescent at 15' :shock: :shock: I always thought 6' was about as big as it can handle. As far as length goes though its a bit longer than 400m if you get one right through past the creek and the flags which isn't really that rare.

Snapper through to greenmount used to be miraculous before the superbank got going but now it has to be the longest right by a long shot if it gets to kirra.
How often does that happen though?

Currumbin can stretch it as can the pass on its day.

Ah the north coast. 8) 8)

spotty
Local

800 meters

Post by spotty » Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:20 am

Raglan...from Indicators all the way through Whale bay...about 800 meters i reckon. :D Did it twice on my way in from two 4hr sessions January 2005...absolutely crazy big perfect waves...one of the best days surfing of my life :D
"Surfing is 90% mental, the other half is physical."

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly alright"... Jack Norris.

still here
charger

Post by still here » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:51 am

Spotty pipped me .... RAGLAN .... from Indicators all the way through ,

Also had Nusa Dua really really long , but I reckon Raglan's ahead for me .

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:09 pm

Beanpole wrote:
surfin39 wrote:
longest in Aus was Crescent, many years back, just happened to be in the right place at the right time when a giant north cyclone swell came through, only three guys out, we were taking off as far out as you could get and finishing on the beach about 100m past the walking bridge, I was young and very fit but remember getting seven waves only and just couldn't surf anymore ... it was 15'....
Crescent at 15' :shock: :shock: I always thought 6' was about as big as it can handle. As far as length goes though its a bit longer than 400m if you get one right through past the creek and the flags which isn't really that rare.

)
beans ... 6' crescent is still fat and lazy ... I've surfed it quite a few times well (well) over 6', a good spot for cyclone swells that used to frequent in march each year (before global warming).... that day it was still really easy to surf despite the size, that's about as big as I've ever surfed but it was just rollin' in like regular crescest just a lot bigger .... and I'm pretty surprised to hear that's only 400m because we were taking off way out past the point ... anyway's it's an arvo I could never forget and thought I'd share it ...

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:04 pm

surfin39 wrote:
Beanpole wrote:
surfin39 wrote:

)
beans ... 6' crescent is still fat and lazy ... I've surfed it quite a few times well (well) over 6', a good spot for cyclone swells that used to frequent in march each year (before global warming).... that day it was still really easy to surf despite the size, that's about as big as I've ever surfed but it was just rollin' in like regular crescest just a lot bigger .... and I'm pretty surprised to hear that's only 400m because we were taking off way out past the point ... anyway's it's an arvo I could never forget and thought I'd share it ...
I surfed Crescent like this in January 1967. It, too was during a cyclone which had found its way well south. I would have put it at 10' - 12' that day and, yes, they were pretty easy waves to ride ( though I was fit 19 years old. Within the next week I surfed Norah Head, Collaroy and Port Hacking (none of which met the criteria for longest waves), but the Crescent thing sure brought back some memories.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:28 pm

TrevG wrote:I surfed Crescent like this in January 1967.
wow '67, it must've been a sleepy town then , I first went in the early '80's and it was pretty quiet .... just the sound of the waves and the rustling of tally-ho's from the tents in the van park ...

emerald snake

Post by emerald snake » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:19 pm

8-10 feet Pacasmayo....200m past the point to the bay. bout a km...minute and half...perhaps more. ps longer than chicama when it gets massive.

Reo Nexpa 400m

Lobitos - the 3 sections from el hueco to the end of lobitos. not sure how long but if youve been it take a good 20 minutes - 30 minutes to walk back up the point.

pass Jan 06 - past the rock to the restaurant.

taringbang right - 500m

rabbity7
regular

Post by rabbity7 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:43 pm

I got pitted on the M5 for ten minutes

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:14 pm

Gee forgot about this thread. The best I've surfed crescent was about 5 years ago. An unseasonal east swell at about 5 to 6 feet. The take off was a peak refracting off the headland about where that odd close out bit usually kicks in when it gets bigger. Then it dropped into the usual first section and opened up across the bay. It had been crowded that morning but the crowd had dropped right off for the afternoon session on low tide. I got about eight in a row down past the flags from the take off. Just walk out and catch the next set. Later someone said there'd been a tiger shark out there earlier which is why it wasn't crowded.

I've surfed there pretty consistently since 1974 and seen it a lot bigger but never quite that good. Usually theres something wrong with the take off or a funny section down the line when its not small.

smackthatlip
regular

Post by smackthatlip » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:53 am

Longest wave I've surfed would be a few screamers at Impossibles from the peak down through the corner, kicking out right on the reef down in front of the Bingin warungs. About 6ft, low tide. Also got a nice one at Raglan in 94/95 from Outsides thru to Whale. 5-6ft lined-up and going off it's tits.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:59 pm

surfin39 wrote:
TrevG wrote:I surfed Crescent like this in January 1967.
wow '67, it must've been a sleepy town then , I first went in the early '80's and it was pretty quiet .... just the sound of the waves and the rustling of tally-ho's from the tents in the van park ...
Just found this thread again. You're right. It was very sleepy. We had to negotiate floods to get there. Couldn't drive into Kempsey from the north, had to do a big dirt road detour to the west and come back across the bridge through town. Then up to a foot of water in many places on the road in to Crescent. But boy, it was worth it.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:14 pm

Central Coast 3-400m slow, long, small and murky.