Goldie water temp.

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

FishStick
Local

Goldie water temp.

Post by FishStick » Thu May 31, 2007 7:45 pm

I'm off to the Goldie tomorrow for 5 days and was only taking some boardies and a 1.5mm rashie.

Then I noticed that some guys are wearing steamers in recent photos, and one of my books even says wear a 3/2 in the winter. I've never been up there at this time of year so what's it like? I thought you don't need a steamer up there ever.

I'm not a big guy and get cold quicker than most so do I need to take more rubber? I don't want any answers from guys who wear speedos during a Victorian winter please. :D

muggo
regular

Post by muggo » Thu May 31, 2007 7:48 pm

its still boardies I reckon, I wore a steamer for the first time today and regretted it instantly. I forgot how bloody restrictive these things are and would have been more than comfy in boardies.

g_u_m_b_y
barnacle

Re: Goldie water temp.

Post by g_u_m_b_y » Thu May 31, 2007 10:03 pm

FishStick wrote:I'm off to the Goldie tomorrow for 5 days and was only taking some boardies and a 1.5mm rashie.

Then I noticed that some guys are wearing steamers in recent photos, and one of my books even says wear a 3/2 in the winter. I've never been up there at this time of year so what's it like? I thought you don't need a steamer up there ever.

I'm not a big guy and get cold quicker than most so do I need to take more rubber? I don't want any answers from guys who wear speedos during a Victorian winter please. :D
nah that or a springy'l be fine. i wore boardies near taree in the middle of june last year, youll be fine up there.

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:00 am

mate boardies will be fine,
i still havnt got the wettie out in Sydney yet, water is 20 degrees in Sydney, its bound to be a few degrees warmer on the Goldy.

Im surprised im not seeing more people in boardies and a vest/rashie in Sydney still, bunch of pussies, boardies and a 1.5 mill rashie should be all you need to beat the chill of the wind, cause the water sure as fuck isnt too cold yet

lambert
barnacle

Post by lambert » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:24 pm

i was in boardies yesterday, a bit of water chill, but its the air and wind thatll chill you, but with a 1.5mm neo top youll be peachy, or a springy, but youll be fine

FishStick
Local

Post by FishStick » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:27 am

Well I didn't need a wettie at all, I almost didn't need a board either :D Water was as warm as a Sydney summer I didn't feel the cold once. The swell has been pretty tiny.

Only scored a few little ones at Currumbin but I didn't really come for the surf so I guess that's a bonus.

Off home to the Northern Beaches today which is looking cold but there appears to be some good stuff on the horizon.