sydney

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

DOES SYDNEY HAVE THE WORST WAVES IN AUSTRALIA?

YES
35%
NO DARWIN IS SLIGHTLY WORSE
65%

Total votes: 17

Mrs Kreepy
Local

Post by Mrs Kreepy » Thu May 10, 2007 12:11 pm

Sydney sounds like a compromise i wouldn't like to make.

Kunji
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Kunji » Thu May 10, 2007 12:20 pm

Mrs Kreepy wrote:Sydney sounds like a compromise i wouldn't like to make.
Show us your tits!

Carpark King
regular

Post by Carpark King » Thu May 10, 2007 1:17 pm

Yeh I dont think other capital cities compare with Sydney in terms of your ability to get a wave, and beaches facing different direction etc.

In saying so i dont think i could live in Sydney outside of the northern beaches. I also dont think i could live in Sydney if i had to commute each day from the peninsula to the city.

Mrs Kreepy
Local

Post by Mrs Kreepy » Thu May 10, 2007 1:51 pm

dinosaur wrote:
Mrs Kreepy wrote:Sydney sounds like a compromise i wouldn't like to make.
so does hetrosexuality, you f u c k i n g maggot

better go buy another pack of prawns :roll:

special_k
regular

Post by special_k » Thu May 10, 2007 5:02 pm

Hey guys.... go easy on Mrs Kreepy.... Not many girls like to take it hard and fast right up the a^$e!!!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu May 10, 2007 10:43 pm

bonusbeats wrote:hawaii might be the spiritual home of surfing, but sydney is the surf capital of the world.
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
God help surfing if this is the capital :roll: :roll:

brendo
barnacle

Post by brendo » Fri May 11, 2007 6:20 am

Coops@DY wrote:Sydney has an awesome mix of thumping beach breaks, reefs, points and beginners waves. It has waves most days than not and can handle large swells. The fact of the matter is they decided to make Sydney here. Its just too crowded and thats the only problem.

Sydney is the second best stretch in NSW for surf behind the South Coast. Be proud of where you live. Long live Sydeny!!! :lol:
second best stretch?? :shock: are you delussional or just live a sheltered life in dy :lol: :wink:

sydney is to surfing what smiggins is to sking/snowboarding. ie full of kooks, average at best, but is better than nothing.

iggy you make a point about the goldie being swellless, what about sydney from nov-march?? and one hr drive outa the goldie puts you bang in the middle of one of the most consistent stretches of coast on the east coast.

i think if we break it down, the southside, ie, bondi to the bra is the worst hands down. crowded, closing out beachies full of kooks with no idea or respect.

its all about the stoke fellas, and ill be farked if i ever felt that surfing a sydney beach

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri May 11, 2007 7:44 am

Sydney does go sic, no doubt about it, bower and deadmans, dee why point, little av, av beach, whaley, narra, and the hundreds of other spots that crack in the right swell, (i havent mentioned south of the harbour)

I think the real poll should be who can still afford to live in Sydney to get a share or the great waves on offer.

of course a flat spell like this pisses everyone off, but the waves are sic, and we generally get to surf all year round.
Crowds are another issue though, they suck balls, but I still count myself lucky as I reckon the crowds in Qld seem far worse even

Jimi
Local

Post by Jimi » Fri May 11, 2007 7:49 am

seems your the delusional one Brendo,
though i agree that Sydney is not the second most consistent stretch in NSW, central coast, newy are better, mid north coast maybe better too,
but i still cant think of anywhere with so many waves in close proximity to eachother.
I surf south a lot, and sometimes u gotta drive 50kms to find a wave, not that im complaining about south now

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri May 11, 2007 9:10 am

You wont hear from crack. He cracked when he saw Ulu's was 10 foot and perfect the other day. Booked himself on a plane and f-cked off to meet his bro in Bali.

Well it was either that or ....."the crack"

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri May 11, 2007 10:07 am

I got some nice little waves this morning. :wink:

Still in boardies too!

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri May 11, 2007 12:28 pm

Victoria - The Place To Be.

oldman
Snowy McAllister

Post by oldman » Fri May 11, 2007 1:57 pm

Sydney ain't great because of the crowds, but,

The surf that hits the NSW coast sure beats;

The entire east coast of Qld north of about Fraser Island, as they get no swell at all due to the Reef, or further around the gulf of carpentaria. Well if you think the surf there is worth the trouble of getting to it, you can go for it.

Keep going all the way around to soemwhere far west of Darwin, to find somewhere that has more than a couple of hundred kilometres of ocean to generate swell in (south east asia tends to block any wave formation to the north.)

From there around to Perth you will do alright, but there is a long stretch of islands off the coast around Perth which prevent the goods coming through, so you really have to go around to the South West before it gets good, and then it is seriously good.

Then there is a thousand k's of barren coastline that would have booming waves, but you might have to drive hundreds of kilometres between breaks.

Then there's Adelaide. Come on guys, only very specifically directed swells get in there.

Then the vicco stretch which is no doubt excellent in parts, with bloody cold water.

Makes Sydney look pretty good compared with much of it.

Stop your fussin' boy.

kreepykrawly
Owl status

Post by kreepykrawly » Fri May 11, 2007 2:55 pm

Its funny how there are better waves at Newport peak today than there are at Chopes :lol: I reckon our resident "golden shower" man must have killed a china man.

I surfed Joey today. Good waves. 4 people out !

cs
regular

Post by cs » Fri May 11, 2007 3:26 pm

Sydneys not so bad, surfed before work at curly and then for an hour at lunch. PLenty of fun waves about, and the crowds were down.

Tomorrow mornings gonna be a different story though, its gonna be mayhem everywhere after this flat spell.

surfin39
charger

Post by surfin39 » Fri May 11, 2007 3:45 pm

BA wrote:I got some nice little waves this morning. :wink:

Still in boardies too!
I just surfed DY in boardies and a short arm 1/2 mm vest and it was a bit too warm still, the water temp is great at the moment

Sausage
regular

Post by Sausage » Fri May 11, 2007 4:14 pm

The waves were sweet for the gentlemans hour session, clean barrels hardly anyone out. Im loving Sydney. :)

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri May 11, 2007 4:26 pm

WA rules. A massive beach from up past Onslow to past Esperance heading into SA. Only bummer is Perth beaches (and arvo onshores) take the ferry to Rotto as it and Garden Is block the swell.