Fat arse wombat

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Fat arse wombat

Post by Beerfan » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:44 pm

Anyone have one of these???. They seem like wave hogs, and would be fun in a wide range of conditions. Any info, good or bad would be good.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:55 pm

Our cat is getting a little podgy, but so am I :oops: :D

More info BF? Or a link to something...

COACH

Post by COACH » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:10 pm

Been looking at one of these myself for those small days, but have put it on the backburner with winter on the way.
http://bearsurfboards.com.au/fatass.htm

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:56 pm

yeah real fun boards to ride in all types of surf. really versatile and id get one small, like 5'8" so i could surf it really high performance too!

Beerfan

Fat arse wombat

Post by Beerfan » Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:48 pm

Haha rick, im actually losing weight from surfing, and im not brewin a lot. I love my fish, but it likes steepish waves. Im looking for a board for everyday conditions. A bloke who has a 6'4'' FAW reckons its 18''n x 22wide x16" tail. I just got a 6'6'' KB blank, and im thinking about it. Thats what i wanted to hear longy. You dont find the wide nose causes problems on steeper waves??

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:59 pm

Beerfan, regarding the nose on steep waves...I dont think it causes much detriement to your overall performance because you get into the wave alot earlier and are not forced to take as critical drops -as on a board with more rocker and less flotation.

spook
Grommet

Post by spook » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:13 pm

My old man’s got one and I steal it every opportunity I get. It’s the 6’4” model. We took the side fins out and ride it as a single fin.
You can ride teeny tiny, barely breaking shin high waves and have an absolute blast. And I’ve ridden it in fun, semi-solid 4 foot waves and it absolutely flies and really comes into it’s element. In decent sized waves, the speed on takeoff is just incredible, and the single fin holds super sweet through big cutties. I’ve done some of my best ever cutties on it, and I still get flashbacks of great it felt putting it on rail at speed and feeling the big fin bite. The board’s got so much float too, you can scream through sections and hang nice floaters.
The only drawbacks are it’s a difficult board to surf vert, which can get a bit frustrating if you want to bash out a nice turn. It’s best for trimming, down the line speed, and long drawn out turns. For 60% of the waves I surf, it’s the perfect board.
Steep, late takeoffs are fine, but it’s not the best board for negotiating ledgey waves and with boils and steps on the takeoff.
Overall I freakin love it. Unless the waves are absolutely smoking and you know you want your standard shortboard, you can chuck the wombat in the car and know you’ll have a board for most conditions.
It’s super light, hard to ding and the board is fun fun fun. Everyone who rides it has the biggest smile on their face.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:23 pm

Totally agree with the cutback oppurtunites is gives...just a reallye asy board to surf.in most conditions

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: Fat arse wombat

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:26 pm

Beerfan wrote:I just got a 6'6'' KB blank, and im thinking about it. Thats what i wanted to hear longy. You dont find the wide nose causes problems on steeper waves??
Just watch the kneeboard blank, some have quite a kick in the nose which you may not want in your shape.

Longy’s right on the flat rocker side, should make for an easy glide. Shortness is up to you, but with all due respect to Longy who I’m sure wouldn’t mind me saying he isn’t that tall, 5'8" for him is OK.

I’ve got another quad sub 6' fish/thing I’m working on at the moment with a mal type nose 18", tail 16, fish 10.5. It seems like you can get away with murder rocker-wise so thought I’d give it a belt, but as the flatest board I’ve ever done it could also be a piece of poo. :D [/i]

Longygrom
barnacle

Re: Fat arse wombat

Post by Longygrom » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:12 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
Longy’s right on the flat rocker side, should make for an easy glide. Shortness is up to you, but with all due respect to Longy who I’m sure wouldn’t mind me saying he isn’t that tall, 5'8" for him is OK.
[/i]
yeah its true, i stand about 5'7" at the moment (will still grow an inch or two maybe) so around my hieght it is appropriate...after all it is still a funboard.

Beerfan

Fat arse wombat

Post by Beerfan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:57 pm

Yeah this is sounding like a good board. Ric, i got the "egg" rocker, as i reckon the fish rocker, which i have on my 6'2'' fish is more than it needs to be. Although the blank i got still doesnt look "flat". Performance wise, im not a vert style surfer ( im not a great surfer haha ), so im not worried about getting vert, and my fish is loose enough for me if im feeling energetic. So, can anyone please give me a rough description of the rails??.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:24 pm

Rails hmm pretty much boxy to sum it up...little bit eggish toward the nose and the mid section but rolled to quite sharp near the tail.

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:41 pm

i saw one down at dripping wet this past summer, always been interested in it from the ads i saw in mags. But holy crap... see how much they want for the suckers even in the poo brown colour it comes in too ....

its been such a long time..jeez it feels good to post again.

check em out here
http://bearsurfboards.com.au/fatass.htm

cya...me