Liddle Hulls

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:13 pm

wayback wrote:
My new board board is sitting emiting fresh resin fumesin the corner of my room somewhere in Southeast Asia,
can you post some pix please?

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:35 pm

Morgan, I stuck with the single fin for the Liddle. Don't really understand the role of the little sidebiters on a single fin design. Nothing against them - just don't get the idea.

All my 'short' boards are single fins, glassed fairly heavy:
6' 4" Diamond Tail by Ian Chisholm at Southcoast. Eggy rails and really wide tail for flat spots. Lots of drive and still very loose - but it slides/spins out on hollower waves - still fun though.
7' Warren Thompson - he's based in Denmark, WA, and earned his stripes shaping his way around the world in the sixties and seventies. Slightly more of a downrailer with a flatter bottom. Very quick down the line.
7'6" Slot Machine by Ian Chisholm. Heavy glass with full tints. Great for fatter days or whenever you need to get in early but don't want a mal yet. Yalingup and Avalon in WA would be good examples.

My long boards:
9' Takayama Noah model. Surftech. 2+1 (7" centre fin). Light and loose for crowded, junky summer beachbreaks - turns them into really fun sessions.
10' Warren Thompson. Single fin, square tail, classic noserider and cruising machine for quality small surf and crowded points.

There've been a few typhoons around up here, each one getting a bit further west, so there should be some swell around soon. Let you know about the Liddle.

Meantime, please have a couple for me this weekend ...

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:41 pm

I'll take some pics of the Liddle this weekend and post them.

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:09 pm

I've taken the pics but can't post them (firewalls and stuff).

If someone who can post could pm me their email address, I'd be happy to send them the pics for posting.

They're pretty interesting. Really.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:44 pm

check your pm......I'm keen for a look

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:19 pm

From Wayback:

The board came with a sheet of wet and dry and a note of instructions (orders!) from Greg Liddle taped to the deck, explaining that I had to wet and dry the bottom before surfing or the board wouldn't perform properly.

In the side-on shot showing the s-deck, the board actually looks thicker than it is. Although it does get up to 2 7/8" along the stringer, it slopes pretty steeply to the knifey rails. It's actually quite thin through most of the board - especially the tail.

Last edited by Morgan The Moon on Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:26 pm

Wayback (Continued):

Greg's also adamant about getting the correct fin placing - you'll see in the close-up of the fin box that he's put notches along it so you can keep an accurate track of your test positions.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:05 pm

That board is soo good. What nice curves. How much did it set you back wayback?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:11 pm

Longygrom wrote:That board is soo good. What nice curves. How much did it set you back wayback?
Set him ‘wayback’, obviously :wink:

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:36 pm

wow! that looks interesting. thanks for sharing the pictures, and please let us know how it goes when you get a chance to ride it.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:15 pm

yes i second that col. That thing looks like it would be the goods, but you never know until you go

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:12 am

Thanks to Morgan for posting the pics. I had to email them to him several times before I could get them to him in a format he could post. Security issues on my email and posting from a 'developing' country can be challenging.

The board was not that pricey, considering that Greg is an absolute legend who is clearly meticulous about getting a very difficult shape just right. The custom order, including a spare fin and FedEx delivery from Maui to New York came in at US$700, including much thoughtful advice along the way. (The bloody packaging alone would have cost him a bundle - it took me half an hour just to get the board out of its protective cocoon.)

I'm hoping for some swell 'up north' next weekend - couple of typhoons lurking and we're on the cusp of the southwest monsoon swinging to the northeast - so stand by for a test ride report.

I must admit that I occassionally take the board out of its bag in the evening and just look at its curves and lines from different angles - it's a beautiful, intricate, sexy thing to contemplate. (Yes, I know I need to get out more.)

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:35 am

wayback wrote:
I must admit that I occassionally take the board out of its bag in the evening and just look at its curves and lines from different angles - it's a beautiful, intricate, sexy thing to contemplate...

Haven't we all done that! it's part of the stoke... good on ya, wayback, hope ya get some waves soon.

COL

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:34 am

its about $920 aussie dollars, from maui to NY, thats pretty bloody good!!

collnarra

Post by collnarra » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:48 am

I wonder why Liddle attaches the wet and dry, rather than having it done at the factory - thoughts anyone?

col

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:20 am

Thanks for sharing Wayback - that's a cracking looking board - as for the price, it's a bargain. There's obviously a lot of workmanship and thought gone into that board, even down to the notches in the fin-box !!

Hope you catch some swell - and let us know how she goes.....

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:27 pm

Now thats a custom board.
I reckon thats a bargain price for such an individual shape with so much input from the shaper, plus postage.
Great looking fin.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:17 pm

collnarra wrote:I wonder why Liddle attaches the wet and dry, rather than having it done at the factory - thoughts anyone?

col
Only guessing col but I think it would give owners a real sense of being involved in the whole experience and really feeling the contours. Surfing is nothing but a sensation and boards are the vehicle. Probably not the right words, but I ain’t ni©kna©k so it will have to do!

I must admit from a shaping point-of-view I like to have a lot of contact with a board. Shaping is a very tactile experience, so when I am at it I like to keep in contact with the board. You could say it is just a ‘feel’ thing but I think it is more of an energy (intentions) transfer. Make of that what you will. :wink: