Just general surfing stuff

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

marauding mullet
Duke Status

Re: Just general surfing stuff

Post by marauding mullet » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:34 pm

Oh yeah for sure, so good luck to the boys for milking them, it isn’t our money. That’s my take anyway, I’ll shut up now. :lol:
petulance wrote: 01100100 01101001 01100111 01101001 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01110111 01101111 01110010 01101011
Lucky Al wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:07 pm
You're a spazz Mighty Sunbird.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:45 pm

Yeah, but there’s making a quid and there’s spruiking. I don’t begrudge the tradies who work on these housing developments. Lending your name and promoting the area is way different in my books.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:12 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:45 pm
Yeah, but there’s making a quid and there’s spruiking. I don’t begrudge the tradies who work on these housing developments. Lending your name and promoting the area is way different in my books.
It's business. Someone approaches a high profile celebrity, in this case a surfer to help spruik real estate in a well known surf town ... there's nothing nefarious or underhanded about it. As for NC writing about the joint, why the fuck not ?
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.

PeepeelaPew
Huey's Right Hand

Post by PeepeelaPew » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:17 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 2:10 pm
It's more about detailing the big tech players (former execs of Amazon and Apple) and American venture capital behind Surfline and Caroll, and the ethics of writing puff pieces while siblings are involved in local real estate deals.

Whole different kettle of fish compared to an Australian owned and run small business.
Is this Tall Poppy Syndrome?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:25 pm

Yuke Hunt wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:12 pm
Beanpole wrote:
It's business. Someone approaches a high profile celebrity, in this case a surfer to help spruik real estate in a well known surf town ... there's nothing nefarious or underhanded about it. As for NC writing about the joint, why the fuck not ?
Nick’s been talking down crescent for years and then his bro starts spruiking an estate and all of a sudden he decides it’s a great welcoming for everybody surf town with more than enough waves for everyone. Including talking up the back roads to find waves.

And Surfline has been deleting comments on the insta post that people have said maybe not everyone in the article wanted to be in the article and they published it anyway.

I don’t think it’s odd that surfers, and this place kind of resembles a surf forum, would not like people writing puffy articles about places like that.

Could have at least linked the estate at the bottom of the article.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:27 pm

Anyway, I highly doubt Ben at Swellnet would want to go in a tit for tat with Surfline so I think the extent of it will be us talking shit in here and gossip amongst the locals.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:32 pm

The Chernin group taking over Surfline has been discussed more than once before on realsurf. Only last year Thud went all attack job on Nick about it.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:45 pm

The real estate stuff is rank, that video on Tom's Instagram made me want to vomit a little bit.

But I don't get why people are upset or surprised about the ownership of Surfline. It's a tech based company and expansion plan- why wouldn't tech people be involved?
I'd rather they have good financing and good programmers.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:47 pm

alakaboo wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:45 pm
The real estate stuff is rank, that video on Tom's Instagram made me want to vomit a little bit.

But I don't get why people are upset or surprised about the ownership of Surfline. It's a tech based company and expansion plan- why wouldn't tech people be involved?
I'd rather they have good financing and good programmers.
Yeh, I’ve only been talking about the real estate stuff.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:49 pm

But in terms of Surfline and coastalwatch.
They’ve both always been shit products imo.
For Australians at least.

Some good cams overseas though.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:55 pm

buddy wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:25 pm
Yuke Hunt wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:12 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Nick’s been talking down crescent for years and then his bro starts spruiking an estate and all of a sudden he decides it’s a great welcoming for everybody surf town with more than enough waves for everyone. Including talking up the back roads to find waves.

And Surfline has been deleting comments on the insta post that people have said maybe not everyone in the article wanted to be in the article and they published it anyway.

I don’t think it’s odd that surfers, and this place kind of resembles a surf forum, would not like people writing puffy articles about places like that.

Could have at least linked the estate at the bottom of the article.
This
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:35 pm

It’s a conflict of interest at the least to be publishing puff pieces about an area while a sibling is benefiting from a real estate development there.

And just a highly shady enterprise all around to be passing off advertorial as some kind of genuine content from a writer in Nicks position- as our “most respected surf journalist”.

As for big tech and venture capital- sure why not . But when they are passing themselves off as some kind of guardians of surf culture (as they do) that has a very bad odour about it too.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:53 pm

The Chernin Group has a pretty sweet portfolio. Lacrosse, surfing, anime, cycling, gardening, cooking, Reece Witherspoon’s production company devoted to telling women’s stories, etc
I wish I had a job there.

Slobadan Madicubich
Harry the Hat

Post by Slobadan Madicubich » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:10 pm

steve shearer wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:35 pm
It’s a conflict of interest at the least to be publishing puff pieces about an area while a sibling is benefiting from a real estate development there.
There’s no conflict of interest. He’s a writer for a corporate entity writing stuff. The money has moved from t-shirts to real estate

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:14 pm

If Tom doesn’t have a financial interest in the development itself it’s just like MR doing a kfc ad.
(Except kfc happens to be nectar of the gods, not McMansions ready chunks on a flood plain).
Does nick have a conflict of interest is unknown, could be a coincidence. I don’t read swellnet because it’s shit, but if he’s blowing up spots he’s a gronk.
I guess all this was inevitable in many ways, starting with Steve Buffet advising all and sundry to buy coastal real estate. And the paving of the back road, haven’t gone back since.
Erase.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:30 pm

If Nick offers you $100k not to expose him do you take the money Steve?
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:07 pm

foamy wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:53 pm
The Chernin Group has a pretty sweet portfolio. Lacrosse, surfing, anime, cycling, gardening, cooking, Reece Witherspoon’s production company devoted to telling women’s stories, etc
I wish I had a job there.
Interesting that they haven't updated their Surfline Company page- with Kyle Laughlin still listed as CEO.
Kyle was ex Amazon where he worked for Alexa and ex Disney, where he was most noted for work on the Muppets.

I shit you not.

Anyhow, Kyle is no longer with Surfline.

New CEO is Ross Garret, who is classic Orange County Stepford Wives money.

Big long list of people working for TCG - you'd think they could keep their website current.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Yuke Hunt
Duke Status

Post by Yuke Hunt » Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:09 pm

Its far from a conflict of interest ... and seriously, getting ones knickers in a knot over the situation is rather comical.
The moving finger writes and having writ moves on ... now all thy piety nor wit shall lure it back to cancel even half a line ... nor all thy tears wash out a single word of it.