Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

Cranked
Duke Status

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by Cranked » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:35 pm

mario wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:41 pm
Cranked wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:47 pm
Thud wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:02 am
Cranked wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:56 am
I've been riding them for decades (and PUs) and I thought their stiffer and faster flex was an advantage.

The Surfboard Agency does epoxy with a stringer for those who want a foot in each camp.
Cranked, I never knew you were an eps guy. How longs this been going on?
Since about 1993 for windsurfers (Windsurfers changed 100% to epoxy in about 2 years) then surfboards when Surftech first introduced them in the late 90's, 2000?

Even before then I was asking the epoxy windsurf board builders who also shaped surfboards to do me one but they wanted $1000+ when a surfboard was about $350.
So Cranked , do you have a preference of what to ride in certain conditions and why ?
Nearly all of my surfing since I started riding epoxy boards has been in Indonesia so nearly all my surfing was in good quality waves in offshore conditions.

Over the last few years I've been surfing bigger waves a bit more, overhead up to double, and have found the momentum of a heavy PU helped get me into waves, especially in strong off shores.

Also I've been surfing a Bali break that often has a bit of chop on the face and again PU is better in chop. Combine that with getting older (70), and I have changed to mainly PU in just the last year.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:43 pm

Thud wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:51 pm
Mind your own business you nosey git. You’re a nosey Parker. The Mrs Kravitzs of real surf.
:D Settle down, Thudster. You are happy to butt in where ever you like. You are just part of the ongoing epoxy debate whether you know it or not.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:03 pm

Ride one and or comment about the actual topic rather than distracting. Enough said.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Also Mario you should know it's a Realsurf article of faith that my board choice - McCoys - is the worst possible choice of all boards currently manufactured anywhere in the known world.

I've ridden hundreds of other boards before and since discovering them though and I always come back to them.
Last edited by Cranked on Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:07 pm

Yes, but this isn’t about anyone. At least we can keep this to surfing without Beanpole turning this thread into his playground.

Shits me.
Beanpole wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:35 pm

Yeah, rightio, Thudster. I've got a number of boards in that construction and have had a couple of other ones in the past. Current boards range in size from 6'6" to 7'11". I had a Taka Mal I used to ride for ages until some kook landed on top of it on a close out from a great height. I'm usually happy to discuss surfboards but you seem to just get a chip on your shoulder regularly.
As I said there's a thread for epoxy.

Speaking of which......what do you think of Thinderbolt Construction, Cranky?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:11 am

Pest
Beanpole wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 am

Beanpole wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:35 pm
Yeah, rightio, Thudster. I've got a number of boards in that construction and have had a couple of other ones in the past. Current boards range in size from 6'6" to 7'11". I had a Taka Mal I used to ride for ages until some kook landed on top of it on a close out from a great height. I'm usually happy to discuss surfboards but you seem to just get a chip on your shoulder regularly.
As I said there's a thread for epoxy.

Speaking of which......what do you think of Thinderbolt Construction, Cranky?
I've seen one of those nice sectional diagrams with pointers to the various layers and what they are. It seems much the same as some of the Surf Warehouse epoxy constructions but three times the price. I assume there's better quality control.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:22 pm

Yes, more tweeked and presumably more refined shape wise but you would hope so for nigh on two grand. That actually got me thinking about the evolution of all these Moulded shapes. Objectively your lesser but not budget brands would be using a fair bit of the older design innovations in their process. A lot of the actual shapes are looking pretty good these days.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:16 pm

With machine shaping there's no reason that a board should not be a near perfect replica of the best board in any category. Ya gotta load the shaping file to get it cut so endless opportunities to get them illegally.

mario
Grommet

Post by mario » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:07 pm

Cranked wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 pm
Also Mario you should know it's a Realsurf article of faith that my board choice - McCoys - is the worst possible choice of all boards currently manufactured anywhere in the known world.

I've ridden hundreds of other boards before and since discovering them though and I always come back to them.
Well , if you`ve got a few old ones including lazor zaps then hang on to them cause they`re going for good coin now . And who cares what you ride as long as you`re out there having fun ! I had an old brown beauty Stu Paterson force 9 that I`d pull out sometimes , much to peoples horror .

mario
Grommet

Post by mario » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:13 pm

More on topic , I got up for the early but felt like shit . Drove around a couple of places and with the swell backed down and getting some east into it opted to go home drink coffee and log on for work . North easter started up so decided with an almost low to hit home for an hour lunch break . Long lull between set waves but with no one out did not mind the wait . Got quite a few to the sand , happy . Should be a little spike in the swell overnight so hopefully I`ll wake up ok for the early .

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:16 am

mario wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:07 pm
Cranked wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:04 pm

Well , if you`ve got a few old ones including lazor zaps then hang on to them cause they`re going for good coin now . And who cares what you ride as long as you`re out there having fun ! I had an old brown beauty Stu Paterson force 9 that I`d pull out sometimes , much to peoples horror .
Back off topic.

I have a mate, well past his surfing prime but, still thinks he’s “got it” who hates when people ride old browned up boards. Not sure why it bothers him.
Beanpole wrote:

Wyre
Owl status

Post by Wyre » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:44 am

pumping! man, that long period has some serious power. 3-4 ft with the odd 6 ft bomb set coming through down here
Sniff wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:46 am
I remember some wheelchair xylophonist getting all macho about how he liked to smash absolutely heaps of Weetbix before a hard day's roofing

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:13 am

great energy!

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:45 am

Yes brothers.... solid energy
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:48 pm

Had the best surf I've had in ages today......which isn't really saying much...... but it was good. Was going to go out at the Nth end of the beach I went to but just when I was about to get changed I noticed a huge bait ball out the back. Seagulls and other seabirds going crazy. Either a small whale or a very large dolphin was plowing into it and it looked like there were a few sharks from the way the seagulls were acting. Then a set came through and closed out the beach.
Decided on the south end after that. Never saw another set anywhere near that big.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

mario
Grommet

Post by mario » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:22 pm

Wow , real long period . Had an hour for lunch and home was sending bombs every 10-15 minutes . Only managed 5 waves , but they were quality to the sand waves lefts and rights . Right shame too as if there was more sand on the beach it would have been completely mental given that a lot of three footers went through to shore unbroken . It started to recover when we had those nor easters 2 1/2 weeks so ago but the return of the west has dragged the sand away again .