The Tulla Tub

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

pinhead
barnacle

Re: The Tulla Tub

Post by pinhead » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 pm

Cranked wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:51 pm
Pinny, it sounds like you're adapting to its quirks and starting to enjoy it, or at least see some potential?
I think so. Will see how I go.
daryl wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 am
We were waiting to get a donkey until it killed someone

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:57 pm

Styling, Pinnie. A few tips on stink eye technique from the Nick and you will dominating the pool.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:05 am

Sounds like it's more like wakesurfing.

BA
Duke Status

Post by BA » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:09 am

pinhead wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:57 pm
Ok had a better session today only a bit of smoke and no asthma.

The facility itself has a contemporary surf retail vibe. It feels like you're on the beach with people getting ready to go out and coming in, boards lying everywhere and so on - but you're not, you're beside a concrete lined swimming pool. Myself and my fellow surfers all seemed to be a little weirded out by the experience - a bit of cognitive dissonance creating an uncertain mood.

The waves come in sets with a wait for the turbulence to settle after each one. Paddling out is a doodle, you zip along on the rip created by water from the previous set draining back into the deep channel. The current also runs toward the breaking wave. If you fall off halfway down the line, Its very difficult to paddle to the shoulder and back to the channel, because of this - you are instructed to get washed into the lagoon after a fall. When the machine starts up, water and anything floating too close to the wave generator gets sucked toward the protective mesh - this is pretty disconcerting at first. It took me a couple of failed attempts to figure out how to catch the wave - you don't really have a sensation of planning - you basically have to paddle hard to stay at the bottom of a lump of water as it stands up and get to your feet quickly - then it feels like a normal wave. Its a little difficult to stay in the pocket to find power in the wave, for turns. Today I got more waves than I could handle - we didn't have a full crew (the left is less popular) but I noticed the staff joined the session and were snagging a few waves that perhaps could have been ridden by paying customers.

I was pretty knackered during and after the session. Your enjoyment level will depend on how fit you are. I prepaid for a bunch of sessions so I'm hoping to lose a fortnight of doing nothing but lazing around guzzling ale and eating rich food and then hit the ocean when the school hols are over.

They have a photo service and the photog is pretty good - although he did manage to make me look like Worm tongue from Lord of the Rings. (see below) However I've decided to cultivate this expression to discourage drop ins when I'm in the ocean.

So is it worth it? Yes if you can afford it, its a good way to keep your hand in.

However as an urban cube monkey I noticed I didn't get the same satisfaction that emersion in nature brings. I'm guessing people who live near the beach and surf crowded line ups, will actually enjoy it more just for the wave count.

Awesome, thanks pinhead.

“I noticed I didn’t get the same satisfaction that emersion in nature brings”.
I think this sums it up for me. Being out in the ocean and a natural environment is a big part of surfing for me. I seek out quieter, natural spots. I’m becoming quite ambivalent about the tub. If I didn’t live 5 minutes walk from the beach, and able to surf everyday, maybe I’d be a bit more excited.

My dad turns 90 in August (if he makes it), so I’ll be down that way then. I’ll have my boards, but surfing the West Coast sounds a lot more interesting than the tub.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:58 am

Pinhead, did anybody hit the pool bottom?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:06 am

Do they give out power bands with holograms on them too?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:28 am

BA wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 7:09 am
pinhead wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:57 pm
Ok had a better session today only a bit of smoke and no asthma.

The facility itself has a contemporary surf retail vibe. It feels like you're on the beach with people getting ready to go out and coming in, boards lying everywhere and so on - but you're not, you're beside a concrete lined swimming pool. Myself and my fellow surfers all seemed to be a little weirded out by the experience - a bit of cognitive dissonance creating an uncertain mood.

The waves come in sets with a wait for the turbulence to settle after each one. Paddling out is a doodle, you zip along on the rip created by water from the previous set draining back into the deep channel. The current also runs toward the breaking wave. If you fall off halfway down the line, Its very difficult to paddle to the shoulder and back to the channel, because of this - you are instructed to get washed into the lagoon after a fall. When the machine starts up, water and anything floating too close to the wave generator gets sucked toward the protective mesh - this is pretty disconcerting at first. It took me a couple of failed attempts to figure out how to catch the wave - you don't really have a sensation of planning - you basically have to paddle hard to stay at the bottom of a lump of water as it stands up and get to your feet quickly - then it feels like a normal wave. Its a little difficult to stay in the pocket to find power in the wave, for turns. Today I got more waves than I could handle - we didn't have a full crew (the left is less popular) but I noticed the staff joined the session and were snagging a few waves that perhaps could have been ridden by paying customers.

I was pretty knackered during and after the session. Your enjoyment level will depend on how fit you are. I prepaid for a bunch of sessions so I'm hoping to lose a fortnight of doing nothing but lazing around guzzling ale and eating rich food and then hit the ocean when the school hols are over.

They have a photo service and the photog is pretty good - although he did manage to make me look like Worm tongue from Lord of the Rings. (see below) However I've decided to cultivate this expression to discourage drop ins when I'm in the ocean.

So is it worth it? Yes if you can afford it, its a good way to keep your hand in.

However as an urban cube monkey I noticed I didn't get the same satisfaction that emersion in nature brings. I'm guessing people who live near the beach and surf crowded line ups, will actually enjoy it more just for the wave count.

Awesome, thanks pinhead.

“I noticed I didn’t get the same satisfaction that emersion in nature brings”.
I think this sums it up for me. Being out in the ocean and a natural environment is a big part of surfing for me. I seek out quieter, natural spots. I’m becoming quite ambivalent about the tub. If I didn’t live 5 minutes walk from the beach, and able to surf everyday, maybe I’d be a bit more excited.

My dad turns 90 in August (if he makes it), so I’ll be down that way then. I’ll have my boards, but surfing the West Coast sounds a lot more interesting than the tub.
I feel similar.
Though my mate got a job there and my mum lives 15min away so I’ll try it at least once with the 20% off mates rates.

Grooter
Duke Status

Post by Grooter » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:59 am

Planning on going in Feb

On another, is this the first time the words "cognitive dissonance" have been used on RS? Impressive!
some cnut wrote:There are only two real problems that we face in life, knowing what we want but being unable to know how to get it and/or not knowing what we want
It's possible to hate the filthy world and still love it with an abstract pitying love

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:28 pm

Grooter wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:59 am
Planning on going in Feb

On another, is this the first time the words "cognitive dissonance" have been used on RS? Impressive!
http://forum.realsurf.com/forums/search ... dissonance

channels
Snowy McAllister

Post by channels » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:32 pm

Grooter wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:59 am
Planning on going in Feb

No.

But I'm thinking of using ' make bank' as a regular phrase. Don't think that's been used here before.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:50 pm

Make wank?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:49 am

Beanpole wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:50 pm
Make wank?
BD's pushes that button with every babe of the day post.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

ledtool
regular

Post by ledtool » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:37 pm

https://beachgrit.com/2020/01/longtom-s ... weird-fun/

Shearers review. Surfed the intermediate setting and still sounded fun.

I’ve booked in for an early morning session in a couple of weeks.
There has been lots of talk about it in the water lately. I’m interested to see if it reduces Melbourne crew coming down this way. 1.5hr drive each way and chance of crap surf or 30 min drive and guaranteed waves.

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:17 pm

Had another session on the advanced left today. Last time I was there, I had a look through the rental shop - lots of cool looking sticks calling out to be ridden. At only $15 for 2 hrs, I resolved to rent a Holy Grail but alas today there were none in my preferred volume range. The only thing they had was a 5'8" x 19 1/2" JS Bullseye, not something I had on my radar but the session was going to start so I grabbed it. The board went awesome, paddled great, hooked turns off the top really easily. I'm going to get one!
daryl wrote:

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:34 pm

I guess that’s what they want - you to buy big name boards you normally wouldn’t.
Was it standard pu/pe construction?

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:47 pm

buddy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:34 pm
I guess that’s what they want - you to buy big name boards you normally wouldn’t.
Was it standard pu/pe construction?
No the hy-fi. Very sparky. I think this arrangement will sell a ton of boards, its a low friction way to try stuff out. Also the rental shop guys are going to learn pretty quickly which boards people like.
Last edited by pinhead on Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daryl wrote:

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 pm

The perfect tub board?

pinhead
barnacle

Post by pinhead » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 pm

buddy wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:52 pm
The perfect tub board?
I think sized right, it'll be the perfect east coast beachie board as well.
daryl wrote: