Where did you surf today ?

Can't find the right forum, then post your general surf-related remarks here!

Moderators: jimmy, collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, beach_defender, Shari, Forum Moderators

channels
Snowy McAllister

Re: Where did you surf today ?

Post by channels » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:55 am

It’s bigger, it’s just not very good though.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:35 am

Yeah, just checked it out. Tama as usual looking better from a bit of height rather than with a bit of height. Bronte looking fairly closed out and crunchy. Probably take the foamy down to Bondi later after yesterday's surf at Tama.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:28 pm

Avoca point not bad. No Copa mal riders sitting in a group 3-4 on the only peak on the beach, as they do.
Beanpole wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 pm
I grew up with Sikhs, Thudster.
Quoted from the book “A serendipitous life. Bean there, done that”

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:53 pm

Took my 6'10 Wombat out today. There was 30+ guys out, not a single short board, mainly mals (a lot 10'+) and a handful of SUPs.

The best wave breaks often as a double-up. The mal riders sit about 20m out from where it breaks and try to roll in well before the double-up. I sat right on the double-up section and got about 15 waves, a few airborne take offs, no probs.

I used the same strategy at a different break a week ago and caught more waves than I usually do. I think I'm onto something here. My board is small enough to take on the more difficult take offs and big and flat enough to perform well on the gutless walls.

I used the Wombat with my Bonzer fins (patent pending!). They have transformed the Wombat, more speed, more bite from the fins. I reckon I've got around 50% (maybe more) of the Bonzer feel and performance.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

The Mighty Sunbird
Huey's Right Hand

Post by The Mighty Sunbird » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:58 pm

Beau Young board?
Erase.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:04 pm

Cranked wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:53 pm
Took my 6'10 Wombat out today. There was 30+ guys out, not a single short board, mainly mals (a lot 10'+) and a handful of SUPs.

The best wave breaks often as a double-up. The mal riders sit about 20m out from where it breaks and try to roll in well before the double-up. I sat right on the double-up section and got about 15 waves, a few airborne take offs, no probs.

I used the same strategy at a different break a week ago and caught more waves than I usually do. I think I'm onto something here. My board is small enough to take on the more difficult take offs and big and flat enough to perform well on the gutless walls.

I used the Wombat with my Bonzer fins (patent pending!). They have transformed the Wombat, more speed, more bite from the fins. I reckon I've got around 50% (maybe more) of the Bonzer feel and performance.
Nice work Cranky.
Beanpole wrote:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:39 pm

His new Sirfboard Warehouse ones seem to be an extension of the Wombat....which seems to be an extension of the Michael Cundith Stubbie.....which seems to go back to Greenough.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:51 pm

Nah. This the 7'6, its a bit more gunny in the flesh. Deepish concave from nose to the front fins, then a V

Next year in Bali I might try a full drop and major bottom turn in double overhead plus and see how much I can project down-the-line.

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:58 pm

8 inch DVS Whip on the back might suit that IMHO
Beanpole wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:07 pm

Thanks Thud, I might give it a try, but I'm sold on the "Bonzer" setup I just tried in the Wombat. That set-up will turn mid-face and hold a high line with great speed. I'm keen to try it in double overhead plus.

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Beanpole wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:39 pm
His new Sirfboard Warehouse ones seem to be an extension of the Wombat....which seems to be an extension of the Michael Cundith Stubbie.....which seems to go back to Greenough.
I thought the Wombat was a Paul Hutchinson shaped Bear surfboards model that Beau rode?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:16 pm

Cranked wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:07 pm
Thanks Thud, I might give it a try, but I'm sold on the "Bonzer" setup I just tried in the Wombat. That set-up will turn mid-face and hold a high line with great speed. I'm keen to try it in double overhead plus.
Too true cranked. You’re going Bonzer...ALL THE WAY
Beanpole wrote:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:31 pm

buddy wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:08 pm
Beanpole wrote:
I thought the Wombat was a Paul Hutchinson shaped Bear surfboards model that Beau rode?
Yes it is. The Surf Warehouse board is called the "Carbon Jet" but it's just the Wombat with a few tweaks

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:20 pm

Quite heavy by some accounts...unlike the tuflite model. Actually read an article about Michael Cundith resurrecting the Stubbie Model in an old surf mag while I was on holidays. Realised it was around when the Wombat popped up. His original shape was what he and Ritchie West were riding in the sixties.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:51 am

Cranked wrote:
Years ago read an interview with Malcolm Campbell about bonzers and he said that putting bonzer runners in any 2+1 set up will improve it. After that I started using them in my boards. Talking about Michael Cundith, it was the 7T model of his I first tried the bonzer side runners in. Worked really well.
I used to hoof it down to Byron every time there was a decent South swell in winter and stay at Michael's place.
Kept on bugging him to re-make the Stubbie since the retro movement was starting to gain momentum back then. Must have been others doing the same thing because eventually he shaped some as well as as a prone edition. The tri plane hull bottom of the Stubbie is what gives it the goods.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:29 am

Cuttlefish wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:51 am
Cranked wrote:
Years ago read an interview with Malcolm Campbell about bonzers and he said that putting bonzer runners in any 2+1 set up will improve it. After that I started using them in my boards. Talking about Michael Cundith, it was the 7T model of his I first tried the bonzer side runners in. Worked really well.
I used to hoof it down to Byron every time there was a decent South swell in winter and stay at Michael's place.
Kept on bugging him to re-make the Stubbie since the retro movement was starting to gain momentum back then. Must have been others doing the same thing because eventually he shaped some as well as as a prone edition. The tri plane hull bottom of the Stubbie is what gives it the goods.
That's what I read in this old article. It was in an old Australian Longboarding Mag. Went into a bit of depth about him surfing them at Rincon in the mid sixties when he was hanging out with Greenough.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Thud
Duke Status

Post by Thud » Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:37 am

Mick Mackie started doing Stubbies about 10 years ago when the alternative craft thing took off
Beanpole wrote:

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:14 am

Cranked wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:31 pm
buddy wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:08 pm
Beanpole wrote:
Yes it is. The Surf Warehouse board is called the "Carbon Jet" but it's just the Wombat with a few tweaks
The Hutchinson 9'1 by bear surfboards was epic, think it was the one Beau won a world title on.