Yater Epoxy Mals

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Yater Epoxy Mals

Post by Shaunm » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:50 pm

Anyone tried or own a Surftech Epoxy Mal "shaped" by Yater? Borrowed one for a potential swap on the weekend. To me had cons and pros - it flew, but also got pushed back further when just making it over a wave in time. Also it seemed to sit higher in/on the water.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:49 pm

That’d be the EPS core Shauneminem. Lighter and corkier and that has been part of the criticism of Surftechs. No I haven’t ridden one but the migration to Surftechs in our longboard club is :shock: no doubt some Yaters in the mix.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:59 pm

ric_vidal wrote:That’d be the EPS core Shauneminem. Lighter and corkier and that has been part of the criticism of Surftechs. No I haven’t ridden one but the migration to Surftechs in our longboard club is :shock: no doubt some Yaters in the mix.
bocco rides a yater, I rode it once, went ok, but seemed too light to ever be considered a noserider of any real ability, good if yar a butt wiggling tail surfer though...

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:34 pm

The surftech mals are too light to be good noseriders but the HP mals go alright if you want to surf it off the tail especially the 9-1 Tolhurst.
After trying a few out I got this one 2nd hand and it goes pretty good. Its the only epoxy board I've got and its held up pretty good.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:20 am

how would an epoxy mal go for someone like me?
im a shortboard learner, as some know allready.
been having fun with my nugget, though tried a mates epoxy mal and was able to do so much more. learning to just ride stand up was so much easier. siad to my mate when swapping back boaards in the surf "i want one of these"
so for a learner standing up kook like me, would it matter if epoxy or not?
am i going to develop a bad style from these?
i do like fibreglass though, and the ability to fix my dings. something about my old brown spotted fibreglass boards feel like they have a history.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:50 pm

I dont think you'll get bad habits, but it sits different in the water to a heavier glass board. There's a bit of a trade off - being boyanter it's easier to catch waves, but paddling out you can get forced back a bit more, especially when just making it over a wave. Epoxy can hold resale value more and damage less easily. If you do get one, then go back to glass you'll notice the difference and may have to paddle that extra bit harder. What ever you get just make sure it's right for you. Having a go on friends boards is a good idea. nb know what you're looking at if going 2nd hand.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:28 pm

Shaunm wrote: Epoxy can hold resale value more and damage less easily. What ever you get just make sure it's right for you. Having a go on friends boards is a good idea. nb know what you're looking at if going 2nd hand.
Until they snap :shock:
Then with a good repair job and a spray of auto paint they look as good as new. Remember theyre all painted. A very descriminating eye is needed to see what lurks below the surface. :?

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:33 pm

True Beanpole forgot to mention about the repair bit. Good light and a keen eye is needed to spot it. Mine has a design which would be hard to match so it would need the full make over. Excluding thick McTavish style Bismarks I thought the tufflite is harder to damage than a standard glass one, but nothing is unbreakable, dont believe the sales pitch.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:30 pm

They are definitely less likely to show general wear and tear than glass boards but if they get really worked they cost a bit to fix. Plus since they are so light they do tend to feel different after a repair.

marcus
Owl status

Post by marcus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 am

cheers guys