Big ass fins

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Bretto
regular

Big ass fins

Post by Bretto » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:07 pm

i saw those long boards with the normal 3 fin set up then other boards with a huge single fin . wtf!!! as ive only ever rode short boards and now trying the long boards

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:13 pm

... and your question is :?:

Bretto
regular

Post by Bretto » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:18 pm

sorry ..
what is the go with only ONE huge fin? :lol:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:21 am

Bretto wrote:sorry ..
what is the go with only ONE huge fin? :lol:
Ride one Bretto and feel the difference. Fair to say less resistance, smoother, better glide.

Grab a mal with removable side fins (2+1 set-up) and try with and without.

Bretto
regular

Post by Bretto » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:29 am

yea cheers mate . ill do that . it must be for a nice smooth glide eh

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:27 pm

Also a very good way to get out of riding a mal like a short board.

fong

Post by fong » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:03 am

yeah.....it's foolish surf a mal like a shorty :!:

but who i say wat someone does on a wave :?: :idea:

i got a old...old... mal....when i 1st got it was missing a side fin....i surfed it bit....than repaired it :arrow: i think i like it better without the fin :shock:

i think :!: :arrow: mals are about enjoying the wave and exploring parts the wave u don't get too on a shorty....IT'S CALLED FUN :shock:

and as it's FUN u can open u mind too riding any amount fin's on a board :idea:

ric.....hows the 9' quad shape going :lol: :wink:

Bretto
regular

Post by Bretto » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:01 am

yea thats a good point eh :shock:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:48 am

fong wrote:ric.....hows the 9' quad shape going :lol: :wink:
:lol: bastard :twisted: I was only thinking the other day I could whack a few plugs into my 9'2 single fin and see how it went as a quad... but I do like it the way it is... still may though... damn I wish you hadn’t said that Fong :?

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:52 pm

Come on Ric - you know you want to buy the wife a new blank for Xmas and then offer (as a good hubby would) that you shape her a 9' (ish) quad!! :lol: :roll:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:02 pm

Jorgo wrote:Come on Ric - you know you want to buy the wife a new blank for Xmas and then offer (as a good hubby would) that you shape her a 9' (ish) quad!! :lol: :roll:
:D still trying to live down the fact SHE won a malibu at OUR annual contest! Now since SHE doesn’t ride a board, or pretty much get wet for that matter, I just had to ride it :cry: :wink: :arrow: gone now, the board not the SHE :D

Not a bad idea though Jorgo, ’cept I said I would do a mal for another flunky who lurks about these here forums - one day :twisted:

Jorgo
Local

Post by Jorgo » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:43 pm

With my twisted logic - I still don't see the issue. Sell (or you've already sold) HER mal that SHE won. Use the bucks to buy two blanks - one for the forum flunky and one (thinly disguised) as being for the female of the house to make the quad.
Anyway - whats the matter with her, didn't she like the 2+1 set up of her last model?
I've made boards for my daughter that she's never ridden. In fact she doesn't go in the water - like your better half - so we're working towards similar ends.
My wife buys me "non stick" frying pans etc for birthdays - I think its only fair to return the favour :roll: :roll:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:37 pm

Jorgo wrote:My wife buys me "non stick" frying pans... :roll: :roll:
bewdy, another metrosexual :D

Few good recipes foatin’ around, if you like roast pussy :wink:

Nah, don’t want another mal J-Lo (and yes your arse did look big in that music video :lol: ) I’m thinkin’ 6'6", don’t have one of them :arrow:

Greg Noll

Post by Greg Noll » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:32 pm

Ride a Beautifull Shaped Tom Wegener in the Wood (Paulownia) With one of his Magic Big Chunky D Fins. Then Ride a modern High Performance, light, Heaps of Rocker with Thruster set up Longboard.
You will be Blown away.
Its Like Chalk and Cheese.
You can then make your own mind up.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:40 pm

No doubt Wegeners boards are beautiful to ride and look at but you'll be blown away by the price. My missus would knife me if bought one of them home.

Greg Noll

Post by Greg Noll » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:22 pm

Yes They are not on the cheap side. But I believe worth every cent.
Can you put a price on having a beautifull board that some would consider a piece of true art, would last almost a lifetime and performs more beautifull than it looks.
In general, Surfing is a cheap sport allround when you compare it to many other past times and hobies/sports. Such as Motorcycling, Golf, Cycling, Deep sea fishing ( boat alone atleast $10 000) and many more I couldn't be bothered mentioning. Comparing the peaks in happiness and stoke I believe Surfing leaves Most other sports/pastimes in the dust.
Just a Personal thing i believe, as most things go, Quality does not come cheap. End of Rant.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:00 am

ric_vidal wrote:
Not a bad idea though Jorgo, ’cept I said I would do a mal for another flunky who lurks about these here forums - one day :twisted:
nah dont worry about it Ric, might buy an 8 footer off you later next year, but as for the mal dont worry about it for the meantime.

make yaself a board for xmas :wink:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:37 am

WANDERER wrote:as for the mal dont worry about it for the meantime.
Worry! I have sleepless nights tossing and turning :roll: but that’s nothin’ to do with a board for you... :D still MAY do something over the xmas period.

So 3 layers of 2oz on the deck and 2 x 2oz on the bottom - my sources tell me layering is stronger :twisted: :arrow: