High Density Foam Stringers v Wood

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

So do you keep it real with a Single fin longboard or carve with a multi fin?

Poll ended at Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:11 pm

Single fin
67%
Two fins
No votes
Three fins
33%
More??
No votes

Total votes: 6

Anomac

High Density Foam Stringers v Wood

Post by Anomac » Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:11 pm

So I have just WON (love that term) a Sean Wilde 9'8" on ebay and it has this compressed foam stringer and of course last week I ring up a surf shop and I get this sales spiel that these are so much better than timber ones.

Can someone shed some light on them please?

Also what about Sean Wilde. I googled him and boy he's been and done a lot. Anyone out there riding one of his boards? What's the verdict?

You will have to give me a month or so to give you some feedback on mine.

peace.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:36 pm

He is one of Australias most most respected, yet still underground shapers around.

Amazing creations from Sydney Australia.

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: High Density Foam Stringers v Wood

Post by WANDERER » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:56 am

Anomac wrote:So I have just WON (love that term) a Sean Wilde 9'8" on ebay and it has this compressed foam stringer and of course last week I ring up a surf shop and I get this sales spiel that these are so much better than timber ones.

Can someone shed some light on them please?

Also what about Sean Wilde. I googled him and boy he's been and done a lot. Anyone out there riding one of his boards? What's the verdict?

You will have to give me a month or so to give you some feedback on mine.

peace.
was that the sky blue noserider?? how much did ya get it for??

If its the one I saw, then: "bugger you!!" i wanted that thing...

Post a piccie.

PS I surf his boards and prolly will for as long as I surf, I've tried other shapers but found their boards dont work nearly as well and when a rubbish board will lose you at least $350 then I cant see myself goin anywhere else for boards. His customs take forever but I'd rather wait ages for a good board than get a crap one in 6 weeks.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:18 am

WANDERER wrote:If its the one I saw, then: "bugger you!!" i wanted that thing...
Haha.
Wands or Longy-G, either you seen or heard of the high density foam stringers? Been thunking :wink: of using some high density foam in sandwich construction but not as a normal stringer. Would have thought it wasn’t strong enough, well not alone. Bloody expensive too if it is what I think it is and I doubt it has the strength of ply.

Surfblanks (Midget) were offering it but more as a spacer for widening blanks and last time I enquired they weren’t doing it anymore as there was no call.

Nick Carroll
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Nick Carroll » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:34 am

Anomac wrote:it has this compressed foam stringer and of course last week I ring up a surf shop and I get this sales spiel that these are so much better than timber ones.
Another reason to be wary of some surf shops :roll:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:02 am

ric_vidal wrote:Been thunking :wink: of using some high density foam in sandwich construction
think youse are barking up the wrong tree or lack there of ;)
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:43 am

ric_vidal wrote:
WANDERER wrote:If its the one I saw, then: "bugger you!!" i wanted that thing...
Haha.
Wands or Longy-G, either you seen or heard of the high density foam stringers? Been thunking :wink: of using some high density foam in sandwich construction but not as a normal stringer. Would have thought it wasn’t strong enough, well not alone. Bloody expensive too if it is what I think it is and I doubt it has the strength of ply.

Surfblanks (Midget) were offering it but more as a spacer for widening blanks and last time I enquired they weren’t doing it anymore as there was no call.
Yes ive heard of them- have an odd 67 keyo with two foam stringers?one yellow one blue

p-a
Grommet

Post by p-a » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:47 pm

sean wilde must be one of the top shapers for logs on the east coast and as for foam stringers they look great and it does not matter all that much for logs as you would not be taking them out over head hight all that much

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:37 pm

munch wrote:
ric_vidal wrote:Been thunking :wink: of using some high density foam in sandwich construction
think youse are barking up the wrong tree or lack there of ;)
and that’s excatly why I haven’t done anything yet. Thinking a combo could work but in a horizontal plane sort of along the lines of the Firewire but not. Don’t want to give too much away :wink: next big thing ya know :roll: youse up for a role as factory test idiot :?:

On another note, but related topic. I was talking to friend yesterday, bit of science brain :?, and he was telling me about GBH (gammahydroxybutyrate), yep same as the drug, and it’s use in resins as a plasticiser. Well didn’t that get the grey matter thinking about alternatives to/for stringers. Shhhhh, keep it yaself :D

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:12 pm

ric_vidal wrote:youse up for a role as factory test idiot :?:
If youse haven't noticed I fit the description perfectly ... ;)

Why youse want me to break something :D

p.s those plasticised stringers are gonna get youse strung out man ... :roll:
p.p.s I was trying to get it to alliterate but no go :(
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:19 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SURF-SURFING-SUR ... dZViewItem

not a bad price, but a little risky without actually seeing the board, still I reckon if it is in as good nick as described yav done pretty well = enjoy.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:11 pm

munch wrote:Why youse want me to break something :D
maybe :D

platty
regular

Post by platty » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:32 pm

Is it regular PU foam blown at a higher volume to produce a denser foam? Or is it high density PVC foam? High density PVC foam comes in a number of densities. It is what Tuflite use in there boards. It is used widely in the composite boatbuilding industry as a core material in hulls and decks. Is it better than timber as a stringer? I dont know. The very high density foam is harder than plywood and lighter. The lower density foams would alow more flex. When I say lower density, it is still way harder than regular PU foam. Some say a little flex is good. I dont think I would want my logs to flex to much. I made a complete board out of PVC foam last year. It still has not been in the water. It is heavy but hard. Ill find some photos and post them. platty.

http://www.davidplattsurfboardrestorations.com.au

Anomac

Post by Anomac » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:54 pm

WANDERER wrote:was that the sky blue noserider?? how much did ya get it for??

If its the one I saw, then: "bugger you!!" i wanted that thing....
It was the the blue 9'8" and you will have to wait a week til I can post a pic. The price ran to $811, so I think I scored a bargain. Wont know until I collect it on Thur.

It's in Forster so i have convinced myself that i will have to personally pick it up, go for a paddle about 11am, hopeing the wind doesn't come in, stay over night up there, take it for another paddle and then home at lunchtime. Mini Surf trip. Would stay longer but I have a ski trip booked on the weekend with a few mates. Life is trully hard.

peace.

Anomac

Post by Anomac » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:08 pm

platty wrote:Is it regular PU foam blown at a higher volume to produce a denser foam? Or is it high density PVC foam?
Have a look at the link
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/SURF-SURFING-SUR ... dZViewItem

You can see the 1.5" High density Foam stringer in one of the close ups.

I will ask some questions regarding the make up of it, got me intrigued too, when I'm pickin it up and will post any new info.

Would love to see your PVC board.

peace.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:29 am

platty wrote:I made a complete board out of PVC foam last year. It still has not been in the water. It is heavy but hard. Ill find some photos and post them. platty.

Platty, that the board you did with the Klegecell blocks?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:52 am

ric_vidal wrote:
platty wrote:I made a complete board out of PVC foam last year. It still has not been in the water. It is heavy but hard. Ill find some photos and post them. platty.

Platty, that the board you did with the Klegecell blocks?
ooh ooh!! the hot roc is famous!!!

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:18 am

tHE Hot Roc is famous cause of its highly skilled owner/ surfer :wink: