longest wave

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

bombora
Local

longest wave

Post by bombora » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:39 pm

Hiya, did the annual week at crescent with the boys two weeks ago. Fun and hardly anyone around as usual cause of the winter cold (ha, everything's relative, up there was 19-20C during the day!!). ANyway before the swell came up and the point started to get f'd up with 8-ten foot whitewater wash throughs there were a couple of classic 2-3 foot days for the mals with rides from tip of point to lake mouth entrance. Point of this post is that _ timed on a video taken _ one mate clocked the longest ride of the week at 1 minute and six seconds. That's half the reason we go each year; a dose of what mal riding is all about _ l-o-n-g peeling zippers unlike the usual Sydney beachies on which I reckon the average ride is about 10-20 seconds!! Have had longer, timed, rides in past trips but was a blast. So whose got a story of their longest _ confirmed? _ ride?? Where? when? how? on what?
PS: When swell came up and the lake mouth sandback started to work didn't the fish come out. Jeeeez on a couple of sessions standard shortboards were a very small minority: Instead there were fishes modern and old skool, singles, 80s thrusters; midlengths and more. All ridden pretty damn well too from little groms to old fellas. And good mood in the water too. I love winter 'tween school hols.
PPS In Sydney I reckon a mini-mal or midlength can be a good indicator of kookdom (not always) but damn there are some guys up there who ride em brilliantly.
cheers

Carbon
regular

Post by Carbon » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:45 pm

not I but watched a doco on Discovery channel

river mouth in Africa, guy rode it for get this 45 minutes!!!! timed, filmed from helicopter, boat etc

guy was pretty tired by the time it was over
smnmntl wrote:Matty.... surfers don't talk to each other in the water because many of them are secretly gay and just want to bum each other off.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:00 pm

i was up there a few weeks ago - surfed a quad fish in 2-3 foot stuff and had a pretty fat time....possibly the perfect wave for a fish IMO

The Family Guy

Post by The Family Guy » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:12 pm

Bombara,

What do you define as a Midlengh?

I'm looking to get a 6'10" hybrid and I wouldn't want it to turn me into a kook. :wink:

bonusbeats
Local

Post by bonusbeats » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:16 pm

any possibility of posting the video on youtube?

i'm still enjoying my redundancy payout - and not working. before it runs out i should head up to c.h. midweek

how's the temp? do you think i can do long sessions with a good quality spring suit?

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:51 pm

hey bonus i wore a springy during the sunny day sessions - but a steamer for the early/late did the trick

localbogan
regular

Post by localbogan » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:52 pm

Know a guy who has surfed a relatively well known spot between Sydney and Central Coast a lot of times. On one occasion when it was big with only a few out was starting his stopwatch after he jumped to his feet.
Longest timed wave was about 1min 40 sec

phil osofer
regular

longest wave

Post by phil osofer » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:09 pm

Superb bank, the length of ride from Snapper to Kirra groyne is 1.2 kilometers, timed a swell today, just over 2 minutes.None of the rides were that long today,longest ride half that at best.
In the movie Fantasea they say Terry Fitzgerald rides a wave for 3 mins 19 secs at Jeffries bay,which means the wave peeled for 2 kilometers?i
So if the timing is the truth then J-bay is 800 meters longer than Superb bank.

max
Grommet

Post by max » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:22 pm

Superb bank?

Scotts 1974 .. What a wave when it all comes together.

Anyone had a good day at that relatively well know bar just north of the Vic border ?

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:31 pm

I once watched a fella named hayden swan surf all the way from boiling pot into the little bay before he dissappeared out of view, 20 minutes later he came running up to me at nashos beaming from cheek to cheek, he tells me he stepped off onto the sand, then he scabbed a durrie off me and had a breather before continuing back out to boiling pot for another crack.

I'm pretty sure that plenty would have done that, but it still pretty spesh.

and Ive had some super long waves at scotts head.

Digger
Grommet

Post by Digger » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:44 pm

Surfed Box Head on a 9"4 in perfect 4 footers. The rides went forever (shoulda timed em but must have been well over a minute). This particular day, they went left for half the distance and then reformed and went back right again at about 2/3rds the wave height till the sand bank at the river mouth. Was rooted after each ride but sought of euphoric as well. Thank god for the boat otherwise I would never have made it back out for the other 20 rides. What a day. Everyone has surfed Box but rarely does it offer up a day like this.

bombora
Local

Post by bombora » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:41 pm

Hiya Family Guy; maybe a rounded nose board tween 7 and 8 foot is a midlength/funboard. So your'e OK on your 6'10 :lol: :lol: . Four Guys on a Tahitian Atolls trip I did in December were members of the 100 (kg) club and rode roundish nosed boards between 7 and 8 foot and these fellas were very very fine riders of waves. It's just that in Sydney at least they are often (not always as I wrote) used as a crutch.
Thought Box Head might feature in longest rides.
Yep its a really fun fish wave _ mate had a 5'6" Hyndfish and rode it when swell cleaned up but was still 6 foot on our last days and it went unbeleivably well _ I thought it would be sketchy but the parallel keel fins and true split tail really did handle size, as all the gurus say they do. (My MR superfish went killer too!!)
Will try to get mate to put the vid on net.
Water up there was lovely just that while we were there SW wind was bloody freezing and blowing a true 30kts plus. Some people were in LS springs but I'm a skinny geek and love me rubber.
cheers

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:03 pm

I've had some long waves into Port Hacking. Chincama ( I think thats how its spelt) in Peru would be a cracker.

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:46 pm

Carbon wrote:not I but watched a doco on Discovery channel

river mouth in Africa, guy rode it for get this 45 minutes!!!! timed, filmed from helicopter, boat etc

guy was pretty tired by the time it was over
Are you sure it wasn't a standing wave (the Zambesi has them) or a tidal bore ?

The once-annual (?) Severn Bore in Wales gives rides of a few miles and no doubt many minutes. As does a tidal bore on the Amazon.

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:37 am

My longest wave (and stoke was in the early 90's) before Super Bank, before the sand pipe was pumping. It was on the old Malfunction Noosa, comp road trip and my little car mate (Pimmie and I) were either pre comp or after comp at Snapper / Rainbow Bay. well this day it was only 3-4 foot but they were linking up on the real good ones.
So take off was between the points at Snapper and then all the way thru Rainbow bay and then you could pick up some speed and some good lunck and make it around the point at Greenmount through to the beachies at Greenmount and off in front of Maccas at Greenmount. We used to stay at that little motel that was once in a Aussie Film next door to Maccas... aahhhh those were the days

Local

Post by 2260 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:30 am

Took the fibreglass out for a run last time i was down at the bar, Dont think i clocked a minute, i would say comfortably the average was about 45 seconds, longer and shorter on the odd occasion. Great wave.

phil osofer
regular

longest wave

Post by phil osofer » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:16 pm

A map of Crescent Head shows that the ride is about .6 of a kilometre.
This is dependant on whether the sand links the point to the track and if the track has good banks. Locals say the track often gets good after flooding rains come out of the rivermouth.
Bombora mentioned a ride timed at just over a minute, this agrees with my calculation at Superb bank =1.2k's=2minutes
Crescent=.6k=1minute.
So next time some one bullshits about ride length, time it ,then multiply s
econds by 10 and this will tell you the distance in metres.
Max mentioned Scotts Head 1974, the map shows distance of ride about .4 of a kilometre.
There was a classic Easter around that time either 74'75' or 76 when it pumped for the 4 days, 3-4 friday,4-5 sat,5-6 sun then3-4 monday.
I remember in that decade it also worked on low and high tide[lots of sand] whereas now it's more a low tide break.

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:13 pm

interesting - i was up there that week it poured down, and an excavator was opening up the creek - the banks must be good now eh?