sponsored?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

joshalohasurf

sponsored?

Post by joshalohasurf » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:11 pm

How many of you guys are sponsored?

Do U have 2 surf comps?

Is this the ultimate?

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:33 pm

To get sponnoed for longboarding, you will have to go in comps...

you're best shot at a sponno is a local shaper/surf shop.... i guess the basic idea is that they want to have some (preferably kid) surfing really well wearing a surfection rashee for example, just so the others in the lineup think to themselves that it surfection might be worth a quick look after the session.....

its the same with shapers.... if you are surfing an o'donnell board for example, really well, then people will probably think that half the success is from the board and want that board...

these sponsorships, however, wont get you all that much, cept for a free leggie and rashie and a set of stickers, or a board or two if it is a shaper.

if you want to get the big name longboardin companies (mctavish, golden breed etc.etc.) then you have to be GOOD, thats the kinda stuff where you would go in mags and stuff and have to represent the company really well in comps.

personally, i used to be sponsored by pretty small, yet an up and coming longboarding company (now big)..... i would like to say that i quit because it all got too commercial and i wanted to reconnect with the true spirit bla bla bla.....but really, i just wasnt good enough anymore! haha..... when you stop going in comps, the company stops getting exposure which leads to wasted money on their part.

from previous posts, it seems that longygrom is sponnoed by a couple of companies, so i would be interested to see how his sponnos are treating him and other groms these days.

the bottomline though, i reckon, is that you should never really 'strive' for sponsorship.... if you are good enough it'll come and you can choose to accept it.... half the people who have to try really hard for it, end up wasting it anyway cause they just don;t have the raw talent.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:34 am

Yer im treated pretty well, and i guess that if they want to keep a teamrider on the team, they have to treat them well. But to keep them happy, they want u to travel to comps everywhere as well as surf as often as possible