What's a pivot turn???

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Morgan The Moon
Local

What's a pivot turn???

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:03 pm

I've heard talk of "tight pivot turns" on traditional Mals.

What are they and how do you pull it off??

:?: :?: :?:

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:19 pm

A pivot step in basketball etc. is where you keep one foot fixed and move the other one around.

A similar principle is applied to pivot turns in surfing.

A pivot turn involves the tail staying practically still and the rest of the board moves (swings) around.

To pull this off, you have to be on the shoulder and really dig the tail into the face with your fott over the fins. The rest of the board should then pop-up a bit from the force so you use your front foot to guide the rest back around.

Its a tough move.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:37 pm

This is a photo of Ray Gleave. He would be one of the masters of pivot turning.Image Platty.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:20 am

Alex Knost is by far the best pivot turner i have ever seen, he walks back real quickley right on the tail, and pivits his board like a little snappy turn, and then that allows him to hang ten, hang heels etc in the pocket.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:26 am

Interesting photo platty. His body looks like hes doing a roundhouse cutback but his board is almost stopped.Stalled. Hmmm

Morgan The Moon
Local

kooky question time....

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:42 am

Thanks Gents, excuse the kooky questions

Platty, I'm showing my ignorance, but is the photo of Mr Gleave doing a drop Knee turn, and if it is, is a drop knee one example of a pivot?? :? :?

I can see, that from the boats defn, the board is stalled from weight being placed right on the back and the board has come up and he's using his body weight to move that board around :idea:

And Longygrom,

When Knost pulls out, I've seem him walk quickly back and the board flicks up really sharply (I reckon if he didn't grab the board it would whack him on the head) and he just pushes off the back and paddles away - is that a similar example??

platty
regular

Post by platty » Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:45 pm

MTM, you are right, Ray Gleave is doing a drop knee turn. And yes a dkt is a good example of a pivot turn. The only way to do a cutback on an old school board at speed, is a dkt. If you just lean into a cutback on an old mal you will end up having a swim. Unless you are going slowly and want to change direction. Some people do a different form of dkt. They bring their front foot back behind their back foot to do the turn. You have the right board to start doing them on in the Wegener. It is not an easy process to try and explain. Basically you start the turn in the same spot on the wave as you would a regular cutback. Your back foot needs to be over the fin and parallel to the stringer and slightly to the side of the board in which intend to turn. (Natural footer left of stringer. goofy to the right) As you start to turn, drop your back knee and shift your weight backward. Now, throw your arms into the air above your head. This makes you look cool. It also helps you to balance through the turn. At this stage the tail should be buried and the board pivoting. When you think you are ready to start to turn back toward the shoulder, shift your weight forward, your back leg will straighten and turn the board toward the section ahead. Try and have the white water breaking over the back of the board as you are doing this, as it will counter balance your weight as you head for the nose. Hope this all makes sence.platty.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:42 pm

"this makes you look cool"

haha, sounds lame, but so true!

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Mon Apr 05, 2004 1:23 pm

MTM

Yer knost's pull outs are like real pivoty but sometimes when there is like a wall ahead or if the waves got no wall, he'll just zip his board out of trim at around about 70 degrees and then flick it back to a triming status which then allows unlimited manouverous that can be done in trim 8)

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:50 am

:D I'm getting it now!

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:23 pm

hey MtM.... just wondering how your progress is going on the ole' pivot turn, cranked any out at the local over these last few days of waves?

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:35 am

Boat

Found the perfect spot to practice them on Sunday, some lovely peeling righthanders - pulled one off (with the arms in the air - I swear it helped) - but spent a lot of time swimming :oops:
"Stay happy and everything will be just fine....." Jack Norris

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:43 am

haha arms in the air... stylin'... nice!