Bloody drop in Mal Riders

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Parkside

Bloody drop in Mal Riders

Post by Parkside » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:56 pm

Now I got your attention, let me start by saying I upgraded to a mal 6 years ago and haven't looked back, love the glide!

My beef is with the crew of old blokes who have long ago taken over any bank north of Wanda Surf Club. Always the same blokes and they are dead set dangerous. A list of misdemeanours witnessed

Massive left fades on righthanders taking out guys already up and riding on the inside on the righthander.

Take off and drop in, ride straighthanders into the beach so they run over the rightful surfer actually trimming across a wave.

Blatant drop ins on anyone and everyone, mates, shortboards, goat boats, other guys on longboards they don't know. These are sharing guys, they'll share anyone elses wave anytime. I snapped yesterday when the same bloke dropped in on me 4 waves in a row. Paddled back out and sat just outside him, shadowed him until he paddled for another wave, did the most blatant drop in I could muster, faded him as much as I could before heading down the line once he'd bailed. felt good but I know it's not the go.

Morons surfing 4' plus with no leggie, causing absolute carnage when they lose their board.

The worst thing is they sit out the back and joke about who is the worst drop in, just oblivious to the bad vibes they are creating for all longboarders.

The second worst thing is the old pricks seem to all be retiring so they are out there at all times of the day.

That's my little rant, show some respect for other surfers no matter what they ride, share and have fun. My advice is to walk up past the 3km bank as the old codgers don't like walking far, if you want half a chance at getting a wave to yourself.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:05 pm

Fair point parkside - there is a similar problem in Hawaii these days with old cruisers riding 10' waimea guns when its 6 ft at sunset.

Still, with todays date in mind , I'm not gunna take this all too seriously....
Maybe you should paddle out on a windsurfer to make a point?

Parkside

Post by Parkside » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:28 pm

The Kid,

no foolin'. These guys are a menace. What could be a great spot for Mal riders to hang out and share waves together turns into a nightmare with aggro from most of the guys in the water who are sick of getting burned.

baldric
barnacle

Post by baldric » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:48 am

I take it you're talkin' about the Southside and/or Last Man Standing mal riders?

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:50 pm

ive been down the 'nulla a few times and the thing that annoys me are the "part-time" surfers who've got the look down ie Blond hair solarium tan but can't surf to save themselves, and they are dropping in on us at the Southside Spring Classic in our own competition area.
I hate that when you've marked and area, and the club went to the trouble to clear it with the council, and then these "pretty boy" surfers who've got no idea come and start abusing us for taking all the waves.
ONce we tell em where to go they drive off in their expensive coupes or softtops, it makes me feel bad at the way surfing is going these days....

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:27 am

I've gotta confess I'm ambivelent at best about exclusive areas for club contests. I recognise that the guys in the contest think it's really important, and I was that person in the past, but nowadays I find it difficult to rationalise (a) why someone else is more entitled to a wave when I'm on the inside just because they are wearing a colured t-shirt, and (b) why any (small) group is entitled to exclusive access to a public beach by payment of a token sum to the local council. At, say, Bondi exclusve access to one peak will take up half to one third of the surfable area on any decent day.

As it is I stay out of the area, or give up MY wave, just to keep the peace, but I don't so it happily.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:43 pm

i agree with buzzy, and disagree with freshie boy.....

nobody should really have the right to clear some spot on the beach for a comp...... i mean if you rocked down to freshie (obvioulsy your local) and some guys had roped off the south peak, leaving you with nothing but crappy kiddies close-outs, so that they could have a private session which they confirmed with the council.... then you would be pissed and tell them to f### off right? well whats the difference between that and some comp? you are both trying to surf... the only difference is that those in the comps are taking shorter sessions in an attempt to rank yourself amongst the other crew... you say that you are worried about how other people are portraying surfing..... but mate.... 90% of longboarders couldnt give a shit about competitions or heats, and would be very worried when looking at you wondering....'how surfing is going these days'

you should not get priority simply because you are trying to make surfing competitive....

as with buzzy though, i will give you in your coloured shirts your waves, and go looking for the clean, fun little inside one, looking for that feeling of the glide.... not giving a shit about what i would get out of ten.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:14 pm

I dont care if a club does flag off an area the ocean doesnt belong to any one group or club or council, so whingers buggar off.

WiNzA
charger

Post by WiNzA » Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:45 pm

so if u lived on the goldcoast and the ct was on there and u wanted to surf snapper rocks u would?

get a fuking life!

u obviously rnt good enuf to be surfing in ne coms without embarassing urslef so u bag out ppl who r for taking ur waves for 1 day.

they r still gonna be there the next day and the day after that, it doesnt matter whether the waves r good or bad coz u ride a mal and u take, and waste all the waves neway.

so pull ur finger out and ur head in, in one day ur sudenly not goin to become a better surfer, u have the rest of ur retired life to do that.
it isnt always the fastest or the biggest, rather the most determined

"Stay happy and everything will be perfectly all right"... Jack Norris

lrsa_04
Local

Post by lrsa_04 » Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:29 pm

i think i only dislike 1 mal rider.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:54 am

WiNzA wrote:so if u lived on the goldcoast and the ct was on there and u wanted to surf snapper rocks u would?

get a fuking life!

u obviously rnt good enuf to be surfing in ne coms without embarassing urslef so u bag out ppl who r for taking ur waves for 1 day.

they r still gonna be there the next day and the day after that, it doesnt
Yeha i would but i would have to suffer the consequences, i dunno how good i am but i reckon im better then you lol

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:01 am

I'm not sure of WINza is serious, or he simply has a reading and comprehension problem.

For myself, I have no problem with major events. They pay bucketloads of money to the local council for access and they feature the best surfers in the world.

I do, however, have a problem when a local boardriers claim exclusive access to part of the beach after payment of maybe $100 or a couple $100 to the local council. And I also have a problem in cases where there is no exclusive access when a guy in a contest t-shirt thinks he has better claim to a wave, and I'm on the inside. I don't mind giving up a wave, but I DO mind it if the other bloke thinks he's entitled to it. And, some people in pissy little local competitions DO think the fact they are in some Z grade competition makes them important.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:39 pm

couldnt agree more buzzy.

give the pro's an area if you have to, they are making a living.... but nobody on this forum is a pro, so don't pretend that your comp really needs an area that badly! i might aswell make up some fake comp with all my mates, toss the council a few bucks and tell everyone else to bugger off....

have your comps, go surfing whenever possible, but you are not, in any way shape or form, better than the others out there just because you are wearing a colourful t-shirt.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:15 pm

I know that there are pros who are on this forum and have written comments on this forum!!!!!

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:12 pm

Who in this forum is a member of a boardriders club?

I'll admit that I am.

I enjoy meeting people from the local area with a similar interest, and it gives me an opportunity to watch and learn from people who have better skills than myself.

Just cos I wear a coloured jersey once a month doesn't mean I think I'm better than those who choose not to, and yeah, I do feel guilty that the club will take up a whole bank.

But the way I look at it, board riders clubs are part of the culture - in both shortboarding and longboarding (look at the Kirra Boardriders club from MP's days). And though I don't take it seriously (I ride a Mal for the fun of it, cos it feels good to glide) it does spur me on to try and ride better - can't be a bad thing can it?? :idea:
"Stay happy and everything will be just fine....." Jack Norris

Maladjusted
Grommet

Post by Maladjusted » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:24 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote:Who in this forum is a member of a boardriders club?
Me too, MTM. I agree that it is good to challenge yourself, as well as have an oportunity to get to know the other blokes who are usually out there surfing with you when not competing.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:16 pm

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for clubs. I also used to be in a (shortboarders) club. One of the reasons I bought a longer board was to join a club with people closer to my age (38 ) than is probable in a shortboarders club, although haven't surfed a longboard enough to justify it yet and my 8'1" board is too short for most clubs anyway.

It's my experience though that in virtually every heat there will be at least one and more likely two or more participants who feel that the fact they are in a contest gives them more claim to waves (this is when there is no exclusive access). It annoys me. And, as indicated above, claiming exclusive access to a bank seems wrong for a club level contest.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:55 pm

what clubs are you guys in? mmbc?