Bloody drop in Mal Riders

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:32 pm

im in steelcity boardriders but havent competed for ages never can get up at 7 lol

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sat Apr 17, 2004 6:38 pm

Im in PBL club and RRMC

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Apr 20, 2004 1:22 pm

buzzy wrote:......claiming exclusive access to a bank seems wrong for a club level contest.
I've got mixed feelings on this one.....it does feel wrong to take a whole bank, but I've been thinking about it.

In the following scenarios, which is better, assuming that there's more than one bank working on the beach

(a) A crowd of 30-40 longboarders come down and free surf for about 4 hours, probably dominating the whole beach; and

(b) A crowd of 30-40 longboarders come down, flag off a bank where they won't bother anyone else, and head out 4-6 at a time, leaving the other banks for everyone else to enjoy.

This argument, falls in a heap if there is only one bank working. But after considering the options, I didn't feel so guilty.....

Buzzy, this is just what keeps my conscience clear - I'd be keen to hear anybody else's view - for or against......

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:18 pm

Morgan The Moon wrote: (a) A crowd of 30-40 longboarders come down and free surf for about 4 hours, probably dominating the whole beach; and

(b) A crowd of 30-40 longboarders come down, flag off a bank where they won't bother anyone else, and head out 4-6 at a time, leaving the other banks for everyone else to enjoy.

- I'd be keen to hear anybody else's view - for or against......
mTm, in principle, the arguement seems logical... but it is highly unlikley that 30-40 longboarders who surf in a comp would all go to the same bank at the same time for a free surf anyway.... not every beach has a longboarding club, so people come from all over to surf in one.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:31 pm

theboat wrote:... not every beach has a longboarding club, so people come from all over to surf in one.
True....
Last edited by Morgan The Moon on Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:32 pm

My comments are made pretty much based on my experiences at Bondi (vis a vis flagged off areas for club contests). The shortboarders club (haven't seen them active for a while btw) used to flag off a section of the beach. As anyone with experience of Bondi will know there are generally 2 or 3 at best banks working. And this is Sydney's busiest beach. So, claiming exclusive access to one of the 2, or at best 3 banks just exacerbates an already bad situation of overcrowding. And bear in mind the council is charging you to park, so we are all paying to surf there. You can imagine why I think flagging off areas for a club contest is selfish and inconsiderate.

If it was a bigger beach with multiple banks then I'd have less of a problem with it. Curly for instance.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:34 pm

buzzy wrote:.....claiming exclusive access to one of the 2, or at best 3 banks just exacerbates an already bad situation of overcrowding. And bear in mind the council is charging you to park, so we are all paying to surf there. You can imagine why I think flagging off areas for a club contest is selfish and inconsiderate.

If it was a bigger beach with multiple banks then I'd have less of a problem with it. Curly for instance.
True again....

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:39 pm

I wouldnt bet on having no problems at curly. They often just hol there comps on the main bank.