ankle leash vs. knee leash!!!!!!

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

donfugo

ankle leash vs. knee leash!!!!!!

Post by donfugo » Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:21 pm

got myself a knee leash recently because everybody told its much better, comfortable,.... it definitely is but this particular leash sometimes stretches and then snaps back really hard (which my old ankle leggie didn't do) a couple of times my mal or my fins almost killed me after shooting back at me! and another thing sometimes i still got that f@## thing twisted around my leg but maybe thats my crooked foot :wink: apart of that i love it :D

Longboarder
regular

Leggies

Post by Longboarder » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:52 pm

Yeah i have both i prefer the knee leash as it doesn't tangle when walking the board. Although in bigger surf i use the ankle leash and concentrate on turning

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Mon Jan 19, 2004 9:52 am

Got myself the new leash - the knee type one. I doesn't get tangled as much, but yeah, I've found the board snaps back differently on mine too - chipped my front teeth when I found out :roll:

I find it really rubs against the back of the knee too - which irritates, so I tend to alternate between ankle and knee leash, but I prefer to wear the knee one.
"Stay happy and everything will be just fine....." Jack Norris

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:08 am

i've found that leashes work better the smaller and lighter they are...until you find you aren't wearing one at all.

knee as a last resort in crowds when l-boarding as it tends to stay out of the way as i bust my moves on the nose.

free your board - your mind will follow and you'll learn to swim

peace

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:21 pm

the kalakau kid wrote: as i bust my moves on the nose.
I love it when people talk themselves up...

So tell me what sort of moves do you like to 'bust on the nose'?

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:54 pm

Lb,

mate - its not braggin' if yer doin it.

get on the nose and vogue up I say. Revisit some classics from John Travolta or even MC hammer if you are wearing baggy shorts. Its all good.

if you are still taking me seriously at this point, sit down find the phonebook and look up counselling/self help in the yellowpages.......

if you can't laugh with me, at least laugh at me.

keep it real LB

dicko

nose moves

Post by dicko » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:00 pm

can't beat the "quasimodo" for retro-styling

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:10 pm

or the caveman-by-the-fire !

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:39 pm

the kalakau kid wrote:i've found that leashes work better the smaller and lighter they are...until you find you aren't wearing one at all.
I agree completley with this guy, no legrope is much better you tend to cruise more, walk the board more smoothly, your style flows more so you can bust some classic Soul Arches :)
Yeah but if you are really desperate or it is not so good conditions ie Summer Crowds, Rocks, Bigger Surf i reckon just use the ankle leash. I know people reckon it gets tangeled and everything but it only tangled a few times per session, and that isnt a big sacrifice to make if you dont want to lose your board.

H*A*T*E: Hoot, Appreciate, Taste, Enjoy- the longboarding lifestyle

Morty
regular

Post by Morty » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:17 pm

Who cares where you tie your board, knee...ankle.......why tie it onto you at all. go real retro and don't use a leggie. also take those little side fins off...one world, one god, one love, one fin...

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:19 pm

I ride both single and tri but thats another topic for another day

vidman

Post by vidman » Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:47 pm

No leggie much more fun, you learn more controll and understand more about the board/ocean/yourself.

Morty
regular

Post by Morty » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:00 am

Slow carves are what longboarding is all about. You wanna rip it up, get the 6 footer out.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:14 am

I disagree with the above statement why do you think the tri fin setup was adapted to the longboard...

Morty
regular

Post by Morty » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:22 am

It was never on longboards before the thruster was invented. It's only in the 'modern' longboards that 2 + 1 set up's are evident. If you get an old timer to make you a board, they will always only set a single fin...often read. See Mick Dooley's Signature Models. Beautiful! When I first got into longboarding and Mr Dooley made me a board, his words of advise were, "Slow everything down and you will surf teh longbaord much better. Just slow it all down." :wink:

concrete

Re: ankle leash vs. knee leash!!!!!!

Post by concrete » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:18 pm

donfugo wrote:got myself a knee leash recently because everybody told its much better, comfortable,.... it definitely is but this particular leash sometimes stretches and then snaps back really hard (which my old ankle leggie didn't do) a couple of times my mal or my fins almost killed me after shooting back at me! and another thing sometimes i still got that f@## thing twisted around my leg but maybe thats my crooked foot :wink: apart of that i love it :D
:twisted: :twisted: who cares??? all longboarders are gay anyway :evil: :evil: