Lets Talk Noseriding.

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

joshalohasurf

Lets Talk Noseriding.

Post by joshalohasurf » Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:33 pm

Well its my favorite thing to do on a mal.

what boards do you use to nose ride?
i read in the mctavish thread about a mini mal not nose riding well but my duke 72 nose rides like a 92 but im also smaller and lighter.

what different variasions of nose riding are you trying out theres?

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:08 pm

Mate if you are easily noseriding a minimal, then you will have no problems on a proper mal.

With practice, and a relative level of co-ordination, getting to the nose and staying there for a while is not a hard task. The true telling of a good noserider is the style that they show getting there, and (in my opinion, just as importantly) getting back.

Gracefull cross steping and good interpretation of the wave and it's sections make for a good noseride in my opinion.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:20 pm

Just adding to what "the boat" said. Having the right equipment is a large part of the equation. What is at the back of the board is more inportant than what's up front as far as planshapes are concerned. You don't have to have the widest nose ever shaped. If the tail is right a 16" nose will work. I may be a little biased here but I believe the old school longboard is a far better noserider than the modern HP shape. 50/50 rails, hips, wide point aft of the middle and a gentle rocker through the tale is the way to go. And a big fin as far back as you dare. With this set up the board rides more parallel to the wave, closer to the breaking part of the wave, and with the 50/50 rails water is being sucked over the deck counter balancing the riders weight while they are perched on the nose counting the seconds. And as "the boat" says getting back gracefully is just as important as getting there.platty.