If cost didn't matter - what shaper???

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

fong

Post by fong » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:16 pm

platty wrote:steer clear of the high output manufactures. Problem is some of the best shapers are high output.

I'll be keeping it local, .
u not whisstling dixie there sister :wink:

some of the VERY BEST BOARDS...in shape and manufactor :arrow: are made right under your noses......often 4 the same if not less a thailand popout being built by people who don't surf :x

p.s bob mctavish :arrow: a old guy called dave from nth haven :idea:

he only builds them 4 himself........classic oz backyarder :lol:

tube5
Grommet

Post by tube5 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:38 pm

without a doubt...Gene Cooper.....if I had to go with a shaper in Oz...Jim Parkinson.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:23 am

Already have one off Ian Chisholm thats very good. Others here would be Wegener, Tolhurst and I reckon Gary Burden would do a good board as they seem to go well for him and Frank Latta makes a nice board.
Overseas I reckon Frye, Takayama,, Gene Cooper and Dick Brewer.
The Cooperfish website boards look flawless especially the glassing.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:06 pm

I have had my best ever surf session on a mal riding a tuflite takayama :lol:
So I'm a bit biased towards his shapes.
If you were going to get one of his which one would you get?
Used to ride an old Farrelly when I first started tooling around on mals. It was someones brothers who didn't use it much. Used to go okay. I'd like to try riding it these days when I've got a better idea about what not to do on a mal :D
A Billy Tolhurst would be good as would a Darryl Dell model or a Paul Hutchinson shape.
Rabbidge makes a mean board but a heavier glassjob would be good for me.
A Wegener would be great to own just as a thing to look at as well as try to master.
I love the look of Van Strallens fish but 5'6" is a bit challenging.
Speaking of boards that are good to look at. You know when tuflite boards started out they had quite a few wood veneer boards in shops?
I only rarely see anyone anywhere riding one and I can't really think of anyone I've seen who has one on display in their home, shop or anywhere.
Where did they all go?

DeeWhyguy
Grommet

Post by DeeWhyguy » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:34 am

Overseas - Brewer, Cooperfish, Takayama and the Campbell Brothers 8)

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:32 am

Overseas-

Logs from: Bing, Tyler, Anderson, Creme, Cooperfish
Fish from: Pavel, Skip, Lis
Shortys: Al Merrick Black Beauty

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:04 pm

Beanpole wrote:I have had my best ever surf session on a mal riding a tuflite takayama :lol:
So I'm a bit biased towards his shapes.
If you were going to get one of his which one would you get?
Used to ride an old Farrelly when I first started tooling around on mals. It was someones brothers who didn't use it much. Used to go okay. I'd like to try riding it these days when I've got a better idea about what not to do on a mal :D
A Billy Tolhurst would be good as would a Darryl Dell model or a Paul Hutchinson shape.
Rabbidge makes a mean board but a heavier glassjob would be good for me.
A Wegener would be great to own just as a thing to look at as well as try to master.
I love the look of Van Strallens fish but 5'6" is a bit challenging.
Speaking of boards that are good to look at. You know when tuflite boards started out they had quite a few wood veneer boards in shops?
I only rarely see anyone anywhere riding one and I can't really think of anyone I've seen who has one on display in their home, shop or anywhere.
Where did they all go?
Beanie I've ridden most of the Takayama tufflites and found the best performance board the Steven Slater model and the Model T the best traditional style. The Model T would be an unreal board glassed heavy but thats the major drawback with the tufflites because a traditional style board needs to have a bit of weight

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:40 pm

principal skinner wrote:the major drawback with the tufflites because a traditional style board needs to have a bit of weight
Do as they do with the tow boards, drill some holes and chuck in some weights! Now that’s going to leave a mark on ya $1200 investment in fun! :wink:

Seriously though, there must be a fair amount of feedback now on the Surftechs so you would have thought they would’ve come to terms with that aspect at Cobra...

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:33 pm

ric_vidal wrote:
principal skinner wrote:the major drawback with the tufflites because a traditional style board needs to have a bit of weight
Do as they do with the tow boards, drill some holes and chuck in some weights! Now that’s going to leave a mark on ya $1200 investment in fun! :wink:

Seriously though, there must be a fair amount of feedback now on the Surftechs so you would have thought they would’ve come to terms with that aspect at Cobra...
You would think so Ric but thats the only thing missing on the popout Model T . I would get one if it

platty
regular

Post by platty » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:52 pm

Kind of defeats the purpose getting a heavy "Tuflite". Why not order a PU/PE Model T. Glass it heavy. Problem solved. They are made under liscence here in Australia. From what I have seen the quality is of a high standard. And your money stays in Australia. Apart from a royality to Mr T. platty.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:19 pm

Who shapes the Takayamas here in Australia :?:

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:51 pm

principal skinner wrote:Who shapes the Takayamas here in Australia :?:
This is on a web site:

North Coast Surfboards - AUSTRALIA
Tony Squirrell, P.O.Box 309, Bangalow, NSW 2479, Australia
1/29 Acacia Street, Byron Bay, NSW, 2481
Phone: 61266856896  Fax: 61266857631
Email: [email protected]
www.bearsurfboards.com.au

I thought Bob Margetts in Byron was appointed (don’t quote me just something in the back of my mind)

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:49 pm

I thought it was Paul Hutchinson. Don't quote me on it though.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:48 pm

i reckon a Bic style plastic model T would work ok.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:19 pm

WANDERER wrote:i reckon a Bic style plastic model T would work ok.
tHE BICs have a bit more weight :?:

Greensurf
Grommet

Post by Greensurf » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:15 pm

If cost didnt matter I would go for a quiver. And if I had to choose 1 shaper I would personally choose Dick Van Straleen. I would try and force him to consider channels as an old short board in the 80's I had of his used to go like a dream. i have a newish 6'7" from him and I am not disappointed (except he wouldnt do channels..prob too much mucking around).

I would however, like to see his longboard shapes and challenge his design and my surfing with a conventional roundtail thruster with middle finbox and removable sidefins. Some channels on the rear going up 1/3 of the board, prob 2 a side, a spoon concave nosejob and a turbotunnel cnetre fin. (also, for extra strength and looks I would love it to be triple stringer)...As for size, I reckon 9'7'...only cos I have 9'1", 9'4' and 9'10" and this would be a little different. Perhaps bring back a texture deck similar to the old Mike Davis boards in the early 80's.

Finally for looks I would try and find a bloke called Jim Davidson who used to do sprays for Emerald in late 70's...I had a magic Star Wars single in 1978/9 which would be worth a mint today if I still had it in good cond. His sprays were fantastic. I would be going for a "paradise lost and found" dichotomy showing say 70's Bali surf scene merging into a gold coast/surfers paradise scene. I have even roughed out a quick sketch for when financially viable. (dont tell SWMBO).

I would estimate cost at $2000+ but gees it would be worth it...trouble would be you would not want to ride it in case it gets dinged.

scot
regular

Post by scot » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:55 pm

scot wrote:tom wegener
joe larson
just realised i got his name wrong
meant Joe Larkin
http://www.legendsurfclassics.com.au/Pages/larkin.htm

and yes these guys boards are already collectables.

i would also add Bob "Kenno" Kennerson.
i have had my kenno now for about 5 years and it still goes great although it is looking a bit worse for wear.
if i was getting a new mal (not likely) i would go down to cresent a get another one from him.

Maladjusted
Grommet

Post by Maladjusted » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:38 pm

I can't believe nobody in this thread has mentioned Billy Tolhurst; He makes great shapes (for performance mals anyway).

I am also a believer in Garry Burden, owner of Astro surfboards, he has shaped two boards for me that ride great.