Are Mini mals a curse to surfing?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

mini mals

Post by Beerfan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:24 pm

Thanks ron, i have 3 kegs in a fridge out the back with a tap sticking out!, its horrible mate, truly horrible haha. Yeah my mini mal is a "sola performance" board. It does have a lot of rocker that extexnds quite a bit down the board, and by eye, seems to have a small amount of tail rocker. In fact, the bottom of the board doesnt seem to have an area which is dead flat, just seems to gently curve all the way. I will double check with something straight.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: mini mals

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:41 pm

Beerfan wrote:I will double check with something straight.
After 3 kegs you’ll never find anything straight :D and don’t even think of shaping half pissed, that’s my job :P
shaunm wrote:Cause a 9' + is gonna take of quicker than 7'6.
Don’t agree for once colonel. I believe the 7'9"ish I’ve reliquished from a client is faster than any 9'+ I’ve ever tried to do justice to... unless your talking dribble, that’d be the surf kind not the spit :wink:
RockyRon (Rx2) wrote:To my mind you have two options; guts it out with the current board and learn to generate speed through turns, or, go down the nine footer plus track. Option one will take longer, is cheaper, and could lead to frustration.
Welcome back sunshine, hope you had fun swanning around down the coast!
Beerbaron, I’m with RockyRon, well not physically, stick with the smaller more manageable models... :D

Poorboy
regular

Post by Poorboy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:03 pm

once again its the big issues round the traps isn't it but some waves are just better when surfed with a mal and any old bloke that uses his age to justify his board length needs a good ear bashing just come to snapper there's plenty of mals, mini mals and old blokes in the line up not that its a classic mal wave but they all seem to fair the same and probably go home complaining to the local news journo they know about how some irate bloke told them to piss off (could've been me i'm not admitting anything) But then up at Noosa the wave is definately more suited to a mal and I used to take one up there with me when i went up there. Lately I must admit the mal hasn't made it back into the quiver cause i've got a mean twinnie and a bonzer in the bag nowadays that do the trick so maybe the old guys on the mals just need to think outside the square when they choose their boards. :twisted:
My eyes bleed when the sun shines....

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:21 pm

Poorboy wrote:Lately I must admit the mal hasn't made it back into the quiver cause i've got a mean twinnie and a bonzer in the bag nowadays that do the trick so maybe the old guys on the mals just need to think outside the square when they choose their boards. :twisted:
It’s like looking in a mirror! :D Shouldn’t you be organising a BBQ with glamorous Poorball hostesses or something? :wink:

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:43 pm

The demographics of surfing have changed enormously. I said to a bloke out at Manly a month or two ago;

"When I started surfing at 14 I was one of the young blokes, and now I'm 40 I'm still one of the young blokes".

And at Manly that's a fair observation nowadays. It's all old blokes on mini mals.

I surf Bondi a lot, and a mate of mine makes me surf Manly more than I'd like (for old time's sake). Absolutely the majority have no idea of etiquette or rules. And unlike the old days where a local enforcer would just thump you if you did the wrong thing, nowadays the bevvy of lawyers in the water will sue your, or seek an AVO. So, the end result is we have less fisticuffs, but more surf related injuries as backpackers straight out of surf school or middle age crisis guys or middle age women in full lippy and makeup careen over the falls after dropping in you armed with an 8 kg lump of foam and fibreglass speared at you by a 100kg lump of lard at 25 kph.

Me bitter? Twisted? You bloody bet. I reckon it's incredibly disrespectful for these newcomers to come to our lifestyle/sport without bothering to learn even its most basic rules, and it drives me batty that I can do nothing about it.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:50 pm

It isn't a matter of "always". I tend to surf Bondi, Tama or Bronte most because they are the closest beaches to fit in a before/after work or early morning surf before doing something with the wife. Manly would be once overy month or two with a mate who loves to go there for old times sake.

I hear ya though Ron...the difficulty is if I want to fit a surf in with the rest of my life a long drive to a less crowded spot is problematic.

jocklongboarder

Post by jocklongboarder » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:30 pm

Understandable that everyone gets annoyed with these old mini-mal riders but I reckon they are the perfect learning vehicle. I learnt in Sydney at the age of 25 on a mini-mal riding close-outs on my own at Mona Vale then tentatively entering the line-up at Freshie and eventually ploughing on in there at Manly and the likes......I might have tombstoned the odd time and made an arse of myself on numerous occasions but..hey!....we all gotta learn. Moved on up to a 9'1 now and enjoying the quiet reefs of WA but I still recall my mini-mal with some fondness.

Doesn't matter what age or size people are.....'s all about respect. Respect the experienced guys and watch what they do but give beginners a break and the odd wave and then they will improve.

Peace in the water 8)
Braw surf = pleasure

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:29 pm

Nice idea Rockin. I try to do that when I have the time......but :roll:
I reckon you have to spend more time working out the behavioural patterns of the newbe surfer and make a point of being there when they are not.

As for middle aged women with full makeup and lippy, Buzzy, now thats being a bit specific isn't it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its funny in uncrowded surf conditions a new surfer who asks a few questions can get a good response especially if they look like they might take some advice.
It really bugs me though when some learner is really friendly in the water and then swings around and totally fucks up your wave by dropping in without a moments thought.

craig
regular

Post by craig » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:20 am

Greensurf wrote:
...grew up at the bra b4 the bra boys were even in nappies...

cheers

Is that you Wighty?

Hawkeye
barnacle

Post by Hawkeye » Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:33 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:Buzzy, you always say that you surf either Manly stretch or Bondi. Why don't you try other beaches and avoid the demographic and/or surf school "graduates" that cause you so much angst.
Nah, leave him there I reckon. The newspapers need something controversial to write about.

Did anyone see that splashy beatup in last Sunday's Telegraph? "Surf rage on the rise!" :roll: What a load of malarky.

Bandit

Post by Bandit » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:41 pm

jocklongboarder wrote: Doesn't matter what age or size people are.....'s all about respect. Respect the experienced guys and watch what they do but give beginners a break and the odd wave and then they will improve.

Peace in the water 8)
Tend to agree with ya jock. Here in the west there doesn't seem to be as much blatant aggro aimed at longboarders/minimalriders as there is on the east coast. Probably because every man and his dog has one in their quiver.

My main board is a 9'1" and regrettably I sold my 8 footer to finance another 9'1" but it's back on the agenda. You can do things on a mini mal you cant on a 9 footer and vice versa. Personally if I could ride a 5' 10" fish I would because the same applies. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

www.mullaloolongboarders.com check it out

scot
regular

Post by scot » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:24 pm

[quote="Bandit] Personally if I could ride a 5' 10" fish I would because the same applies. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
[/quote]

Bandit,
instead of an 8 footer why not try a 6'5 (or close) twin keel fish. probably float you just as well but be much easier to throw around. a fish dont have to be under 6 foot long.
my friend has a 6'4 diverse twinny and he loves it. he isnt really big either (just wanted some more volume). he went for that instead of a mal.

Bandit

Post by Bandit » Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:51 pm

Never been a real fan of twin fins, probably coz the ones I rode were in the late 70's and not that well designed. The MR models seem to go off though and I have been tempted by sub 7'boards now I'm fitter and the old techniques are returning. My dilemma is I'm 6'2" and at best fluctuate in weight between 100 - 105kg.

The risk factor of spending big dollars on a board that I know I used to be able to ride (and trying to face the reality of fucked knees - 2 patella repairs, dodgy ankles, and the back of a 70 year old - all courtesy of the Army) sub 7' is something I'm a little sketchy on doing. Also finding a board to try before I buy is nigh on impossible.

One of the the best boards I've owned was a 6' 6" West Coast fish. Was 3" at the chest with an 8" fish and a 10"fin box. Would turn on a dime and go in anything up to double overhead but that was it's full limit. These day I'm more than a little sus about getting my abilities confused with the reality that my body just cant do what it used to.

Actually I get a good belly laugh reading posts on the Tracks forum where these hard core shortboarders talk about commiting suicide before they'd get on a mal and I think back to me and remember saying exactly the same thing. These days I get the same stoke and sik joy doing what I do as I did then I'd just like to be able to throw up as much spray as I did when dinosaurs walked the earth. Ya never know........maybe......

scooter83
Grommet

fish?

Post by scooter83 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:32 pm

People,
just trying to clarify something in my own mind. When you talk about a 'fish', is that a board normally in the thruster dimensions of length eg 6-6'8ish, but with a swallow tail, and are they thicker and wider than your normal thruster?

Because out at bondi, i've seen in smaller conditions quite a few of those around, and guys riding them very competently...but is that the description of a fish? and are they a good all round board to addd to a quiver?

Also, i'm having a bit of a tecknique issue. I've been riding my 7'2 mini quite a lot lately, and i seem to keep diging a rail when i try and go for some quicker turns...and i think that this might be due to not putting enough weight through my back foot, and being too far forward on the board, trying to find the right balance between good trim , but maintaining turning ability...driving me through the roof :( any tips?

cheers

ps: another thing to consider about people riding mini mals, often as has already been noted, for alot of people, it is there first board...and while i'd love to have a board for every day of the week, they are pretty pricey...so go easy on the us poor minimal owners...totally agree that it's all about attitude and respect for the road rules...sometimes though, you get these people on thrusters ( don't get me wrong there good surfers too), but they fully snake all over the place, very focussed etc...but that's poor form too...live and let live

Bandit

Post by Bandit » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:28 pm

Scooter this pic is what I've always considered a classic fish tail and is pretty close to the type of tail PT (Pete Townsend used to ride back in the late 70's and early eighties.

But more and more these days a slightly wider swallow is being called a fish.

As regards bogging your rail, it could be speed related ie. not enough speed or as you describe perhaps not enough weight on your back foot. Best way to remedy the situation is try some big turns and note what works when you pull 'em off in relation to position on the board, weight distribution. With a longer board you are going to always have to shuffle/walk it to get into optimal position to turn. Just goes with the territory.

vb
Local

Post by vb » Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:32 pm

Bit of a similar story Bandit me old ... bought a nine footer off the rack to register minimum requirement for a mal club but the thing is absolutely useless re nose riding etc (but great in other departments). Garage was getting clogged up so returned the old faithful 7'9'' to the mate I'd borrowed it off about two decades before and hell, do I miss it. As a matter of fact, can anyone recommend a shaper who could do a retro of that board? It's a '68 Ron Wade ... I actually talked to him about it but it appears he only does pop-outs these days. Oh yeah, I would like it two or three kilos lighter ...

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:57 pm

Aren't wide screen laptops great :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Butts

Post by Butts » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:30 pm

Bandit wrote:Never been a real fan of twin fins, probably coz the ones I rode were in the late 70's and not that well designed. The MR models seem to go off though and I have been tempted by sub 7'boards now I'm fitter and the old techniques are returning. My dilemma is I'm 6'2" and at best fluctuate in weight between 100 - 105kg.

The risk factor of spending big dollars on a board that I know I used to be able to ride (and trying to face the reality of **** knees - 2 patella repairs, dodgy ankles, and the back of a 70 year old - all courtesy of the Army) sub 7' is something I'm a little sketchy on doing. Also finding a board to try before I buy is nigh on impossible.

One of the the best boards I've owned was a 6' 6" West Coast fish. Was 3" at the chest with an 8" fish and a 10"fin box. Would turn on a dime and go in anything up to double overhead but that was it's full limit. These day I'm more than a little sus about getting my abilities confused with the reality that my body just cant do what it used to.

Actually I get a good belly laugh reading posts on the Tracks forum where these hard core shortboarders talk about commiting suicide before they'd get on a mal and I think back to me and remember saying exactly the same thing. These days I get the same stoke and sik joy doing what I do as I did then I'd just like to be able to throw up as much spray as I did when dinosaurs walked the earth. Ya never know........maybe......

Bandit,
Try a Tuflite soul fish 6'10", you will never look back.

My surfing buddy is 6'7", 110kg + (fluctuates like you) and
I have never seen him catch so many waves, and surf them like he is possesed. :x

Expense is an issue though :)