Eggs

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:28 am

Yeh I remember looking at some signature models when I had my old Takayama tuflite. You could see the difference. Something about the rocker I think. As for coolite insides I can voutch for that :?

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:17 am

Beanpole wrote:As for coolite insides I can vouch for that :?
If you broke your Tuflite, you would’ve broken a poly variety anyway...

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:45 pm

Yes, I've found that most surfboards don't handle being hit by out of control learners. Especially if theyre on mals launching themselves from 5' up in the lip on a dredging closeout onto the deck :x
Funny I never did get to thank that guy :?

Beerfan

egg

Post by Beerfan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:00 am

Excuse my ignorance, but, what is the difference between a mini mal, and an egg in relation to dimensions??. I did a search, but could not find a side by side comparison in terms of length, width, rocker, tail, thickness etc. It seems that an egg is more manouverable ?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:58 pm

Its kind of like an extended egg shape :D
A classic minimal has a big round nose and a big square tail this guarentees you have to turn from the bottom of the wave setting yourself up to not turn off the top :D

Beerfan

egg

Post by Beerfan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:05 pm

Beanpole, does that mean that the widepoint would be more towards the back of the board, and also, what shape would the tail be??.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Re: egg

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:01 pm

Beerfan wrote:Beanpole, does that mean that the widepoint would be more towards the back of the board, and also, what shape would the tail be??.
I’ll jump in for BP... the photo Wanderer posted is a board I did and if that is the sort of board you are considering the dimensions are:
L: 7' 8 3/4"
W: 21 1/2" (3" towards the nose from the centre)
Th: 2 1/2"
12" from the nose: 16 1/2"
12" from the tail: 13 5/8"

Slight concave under nose to flat to slight convex under back foot through the tail - round tail.

Round tails are for smoother turns, square tails for sharper (squarer) turns.

This is a guide only Burpfan, I did a similar board but the widest point was 6 3/4" from the centre.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:29 pm

And if he did me another one, the only thing i might consider is ditching the concave under the nose, even though its only slight, it may well be the cause for the board being a bit slow on take-off, it feels like its pushing back until finally gravity and speed take over and ya launch down the face, still, the jury is still out on that, might be nice for some late and low duck and cover take offs, still waiting for a solid sesh to put the board fully through its paces.

Beerfan

egg

Post by Beerfan » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:26 pm

Thanks for the dimension's ric, there may be one similar going around the south coast in a few months!!. Maybe not as pretty hahah!. So, by the dimensions, the wide point on that board is forward of the centre. Wanderer, its our first board, so, the bottom will not be fancy at all!, no concaves, unless they are necessary.

ric_vidal
Snowy McAllister

Post by ric_vidal » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:40 pm

WANDERER wrote:And if he did me another one...
Beerfan, don’t take any notice of the wayward Wanderer, he knows NOTHING I tell you! :D It’s just his lack of ability coming to the fore :oops:

Paddle harder Wanderer and stop holding back ya big baby! :twisted: