Hello all ( novice surfer )

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Hello all ( novice surfer )

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:29 pm

Hello all, my name is mark, and after years of stuffing around, i am finally this year giving this surfing thing a real go!. I have a dinged up 7,6" mini mal, which at the moment is made of more araldyte than fibreglass haha!. I like the longer boards, and am hoping to get an 8,6"ish board when the minister for war and finance approves :D . I dig the old style longboarding stuff, like nose riding and stuff. My other hobby is home brewing ( i have 3 kegs!! ).

I am at the stage where ( in smooth small stuff :D ), i can most of the time get up and wobble across the face for a bit before falling off!!. On a good day, i can do it easier than other days. Its funny, i can be paddling around totally stuffed for one and a half to two hours ( im not the fittest bloke in town ) and may only catch a handfull of waves ( and probably one 1 real good ride ), but that 5-10 seconds is totally all worth it!! Anyway.....

Cheers and hello!

Beerfan

My question

Post by Beerfan » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:41 pm

Sorry, i forgot to ask my question!. I snapped one of the side fins on my board a few weeks ago, so, being tricky, i snapped the other side fin off, filled the holes with araldyte, and away i went!.

1.) How will this affect my boards performance ??

2.) Will the araldyte affect the board ??, i've used it before with no problems other than visual, and a bit of a bump.

Any advice would be much appreciated, tah

vb
Local

Post by vb » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:08 pm

Should go well ... but snap that centre fin off as well and re-glue it about two thirds back. It'll be a beast on a broken wave but will go like a dream the rest of the time. Bloke broke the nose off my trusty old 7.9 and re-did it with auto putty. No problems

fong

Post by fong » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:04 pm

hey beerman :lol:

fun surfing hey :lol:

i use b a shortboader who snarled at mals :x but i got a old one too...and they are heaps fun :o

my board was missing a outside fin when i got it....surfed it heaps 4 i fixed it .....kinda went better without it :shock:

thats long boardin 4 u ......always full of surprises :wink:

p.s where u surf most.....point or beach or reef :?:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:55 pm

vb wrote:Should go well ... but snap that centre fin off as well and re-glue it about two thirds back. It'll be a beast on a broken wave but will go like a dream the rest of the time. Bloke broke the nose off my trusty old 7.9 and re-did it with auto putty. No problems
I'd stay away from the araldyte myself. I think superglue is more compatible or you can be reckless and use fibreglass :D

Beerfan

Hello all

Post by Beerfan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:54 am

Thanks guys. I usually surf open beaches ( not good enough for points, definately not reefs! ). I did have a fibreglass kit, but it was a bit of mucking around, also, how much can i take off the deck before it gets leaking problems??, i mean, how thick is the layer on the deck?.

Tah

Red
Grommet

Post by Red » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:16 am

Gday Beerfan ... the snapped fin you had reminded me of a problem
we had a few years back....me and a couple of mates were surfing
Crescent Hd when one of us decided to try to come in over the rocks
......bad move. :( ..he got out with one side fin missing and one flapping
...he went to the Post Office/Surf shop to try to get it fixed...the guy there just snapped the loose fin off....told him to stand further back and ride it like a single fin :lol: ...we all had a go and it went pretty good... :shock:
...that reminds me I gotta go and fix my own board :(
anyhow ...enjoy your surfing no matter what level you are :wink:

all the best ..Red