Logging is not h/p longboarding

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

coastie
Grommet

Post by coastie » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:13 am

I agree Beanpole ... the latest PLB had a couple of great articles (Fish article is a case in point). The current ALB is pretty good too, especially the historical stuff ...

:idea: Now, if you could just combine the two and chuck out a few of the pics (not all mind you, but you get so visually assualted with the amount) then you'd have an interesting summer read a bit of eye candy too!

C.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:10 pm

Out of the last two editions of ALB and PLB I read only three articles. I subscribe to both mags. I always look foward to them arriving, then I am dissapointed with the content every time. Each time you hope there is going to be more than the usual contest dribble and waves scored by the same beautiful people in exotic locations. I know you cannot please everybody all of the time. But there are plenty of good longboard riders at any beach on any given day, but you never see them featured.

I may be a bit cynical here, the Josh Constable article looks like an add for Laguna Bay Longboards. Is it an add disguised as an interview or am I just being a bit paranoid? I also know the mags need to turn a profit. But if you do not have a sponsors logo for the photographer to aim at then you have little chance of being noticed. Don't get me wrong. It has never been my ambition to appear in one of these mags. But it would be nice to see some of the every day longboarders. There are plenty around my area who would do the pages of the mags justice. platty.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:50 pm

Something along the lines of the Underground surf mag that was around a few years back where the focus was on particular areas and underground talent that you dont see all the time instead of the usual suspects.The ads are a necessary evil but they are pretty annoying when they take up more space than the articles.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:14 pm

Yeah, I really think buying a decent DVD ends up being heaps better value.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:24 pm

coastie wrote:
Wanderer, great to see you back ... hopefully up on the coast with your new Wilde in Feb?

C.
abso-faarkin-lutely, will post pics after i pick her up tomorrow, although the type of board she is i doubt to many posters from this thread will be interested!!

I see the problem as this:
1) too many judges are clueless as to the level of difficulty involved with this new wave of what i call; "tech noseriding" and logging in general.
2) Logging is so much funner to do than to watch, whereas (as sad as it sounds) high performance surfing can be appreciated easier by the man on the street (ie: the guy with the money that the advertisers and surf companies love so much).

I think the way forward is for like minded loggers to start their own clubs or to factionalise the clubs they belong to, this doesnt have to involve breaking away from clubs, but more likely running "log" heats or days and eventually comps.

BUT... to start with a charter must be written up outlining what is logging and what is and isnt a log, as well as this the charter must also include judging criteria and possibly the level of skill or knowledge desirable for judges. Sounds easier than it may well be, but I'll start another thread and we can all decide what it is that should decipher the true form and future of log riding.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:03 am

I think an overlooked element is how you carry your board to the water. Also how high up you wear your boardies.
Progressive-half hanging off your backside and long.
Trad-pulled right up near your arm pits to cover the gut and short in the leg.
Sluggoes are also an option for the real traditionalist but this may not be popular with judges.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:59 pm

And the colours. 'Remember those great red and yellow boardies Mickey Dora used to wear.

bondi
regular

Photos

Post by bondi » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:29 am

I am all for supporting more traditional photos.

In fact i have a new telephoto lens for my digi SLR and if you guys want to see more pics of "logging" then let me know where you'll be (particularly surf trips).

I am ONLY interested in log photography and agree that seeing all the Laguna prog crap sprogged all over the place made me cringe too!

if your interested in seeing more logs pics, let me know when you'd like me to rock up with my log and lens and i'll be happy to shoot!

heres to a fantastic 2006!

;)

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:27 pm

This link features Alex Knost surfing 'progressive' but in the classic longboard style on classic style equipment. He is doing all the moves an average h/p surfer could do out there but actually making it innovative by adding his twist to it.

http://surfermag.com/av/potpourri/alknst_bu/

scot
regular

Post by scot » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:11 am

longy, thats sum pretty good footage but i think the guy on the moroon board in the other clip was styling way more. not sure who he is tho.

http://surfermag.com/av/pros/convrs_lb/

Thats how i want to be able to noseride.

I think i need more practice

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:42 pm

I dont reckon he has anything on Alex in the style department at all! Hes just noseriding...no techy stalls or footwork. Jimmy is still sick though.

freefilms
regular

Post by freefilms » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:35 pm

Longygrom wrote:This link features Alex Knost surfing 'progressive' but in the classic longboard style on classic style equipment. He is doing all the moves an average h/p surfer could do out there but actually making it innovative by adding his twist to it.

http://surfermag.com/av/potpourri/alknst_bu/
yep, very technical & brilliant & lots of flair. pure inspiration. very few people on the planet can ride a log like this.

personally, though, i'd like to see him surf a little slower, less frenetic, more flow. i've seen alex surf cleaner, and it's awesome to behold.

freefilms
regular

Post by freefilms » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:43 pm

scot wrote:i think the guy on the moroon board in the other clip was styling way more. not sure who he is tho.
have to agree in this instance. i really like jimmy gamboa's surfing: unselfconscious, excellent sense of trim & positioning, very smooth & pure & uncluttered, beautifully functional & understated. i like devon howard's surfing for exactly the same reasons.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:12 pm

Good points there Nathan. But he was in a comp run by one of his sponsors so i guess he would have wanted to perform at a high level.

here is another link with some more smoother classic longboarding via Alex Knost and others.

http://www.surfermag.com/av/potpourri/m ... index.html

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:06 pm

I havent seen much of Alex Knost's surfing but he is impressive. That reo he did on such a flat board was good and I've never seen footwork so fast.

freefilms
regular

Post by freefilms » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:01 am

Longygrom wrote:Good points there Nathan. But he was in a comp run by one of his sponsors so i guess he would have wanted to perform at a high level.
yep i figured that too matt. shame a surfer of alex's standard has to adjust his approach for the judges. says something about contests i guess.
Longygrom wrote:here is another link with some more smoother classic longboarding via Alex Knost and others.

http://www.surfermag.com/av/potpourri/m ... index.html
he's pulling out a few 'lance carsons' here, eh, & a whole bunch of techy tip stuff. beautiful marriage of classic & funky styling. great to see. thanks for the link matt.

freefilms
regular

Post by freefilms » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:04 pm

principal skinner wrote:I've never seen footwork so fast.
mate, that's for sure. doesn't get any quicker. he makes it look so, so easy.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:30 pm

While I was sitting and waiting for the clips to download last night. I was scrolling through footage as it was being downloaded frame by frame.
Everything happens at such a fast rate in real time you do not get to see some of the critical sections he was riding through. And where he was positioned on the board. You have got to hand it to him he is one talented log rider.
It is going to be interesting to see him progress. As he matures with age, I think he will become a much smoother surfer than he is now. Don't get me wrong he is pretty smooth now. But as he gets older, he will slow down a bit and some of the jerkyness in his style will smooth out a little. platty.

ps Coastie has a pink fish.