Ding repairs

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Sancho

Ding repairs

Post by Sancho » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:44 pm

Stupid question I guess but :wink: ....do you use the same surf kits you buy from surf shops to fix the dings in fibre glass boards to fix the dings in epoxy resin boards?

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:10 pm

A wise man (Mr Garrison from Sth Park) once said "there are no stupid questions just stupid people" I'm not applying that here :wink:
Don't use glass repair kit on epoxy boards!!!!!!!
You can by them both from your surf shop, they look the same but one has epoxy written on it. The guy @ DY tried to sell me a glass one for my kids NSP, said he uses it. If you live near Manly go to Dripping Wet they had some last month.
Don't listen to bad advise, get the right one
Never confuse ambition with ability

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:32 pm

Good advice....I'll scope out the surf shop and make up mind if I fix it myself...from there.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:39 pm

Great new Av Fong, sound advice too.
Sancho what board do you have?
If its a minor ding DIY or get Dripping Wet to do on the spot. Most aren't too hard to fix, you just need the kit, sticky tape and additional sandpaper.
I had mine dropped on the road and fixed it myself, was my first attempt and worked.

Sancho

Post by Sancho » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:01 pm

It's a Mctavish Carver.....primo board...near cherry condition except for some pressure marks on the bottom;

the board fell off my home made surf rack (made it from the timber of my ex-room mate furniture...heh, heh) onto the tail. The tail has started to have those deep hair thin cracks appear - not worried - but it's there that it fell on. Has caused a ding about the size of a fingernail - definately not water tight and debatebly probably not worth a full professional dinf fix....they charge like a wounded bull.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:31 am

fong wrote: bit like panel beaters u figure out wat it wil cost u...includin labour...than times it b ten :shock:
Only because they have pricks like the guys from the NRMA who are literally making smash repairer's close business each day due to their new care and repair online quoting system, which i might add is ripping the customer off as well as the repairer... :x

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:02 pm

Although I think it's cool for everyone to fix their own dings, I'm not sure you want to be experimenting first time out with a new McTav Carver. Ding fixing is an excellent opportunity to make an absolute mess of a board.

If you do decide to have a crack, like others said, get an epoxy kit. I always finish off an epoxy fill with a thin layer of 4oz glass as well 'cos it helps me to get a nice finish, but I don't know whether you're really supposed to do that.

If it's a bad ding, my advice is take it to a pro. The money you pay getting it properly sorted will probably be saved when you come to trade or re-sell the board.

SMW1

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:54 pm

fong wrote:
my advice is thus....if u plan on keeping the board under 12 months...duck tape up the tail so it's water tight and don't worry about it :)

if u love the board :arrow: then blow money on a pro repair just make sure u there too watch how they do it....so u up next time :lol:
Ah yes, good old duct tape, $2 a roll so it makes the cost of a ding "repair" about 5c. The travelling surfer's saviour.

Maybe duct-tape the ding and wait for the next ding before you get a pro to fix it up.

And the other guys are right about epoxy boards - they don't mix with fibreglass resin.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:33 pm

Shaunm wrote:Great new Av Fong, sound advice too.
Sancho what board do you have?
If its a minor ding DIY or get Dripping Wet to do on the spot. Most aren't too hard to fix, you just need the kit, sticky tape and additional sandpaper.
I had mine dropped on the road and fixed it myself, was my first attempt and worked.
Mona Vale Surfection/Quiksilver sell the epoxy repair kit.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:53 pm

I don't suppose some of you guys have sat down a thought to hard about what is involved in ding repair.

Firstly resin is a petrol chemical, so when petrol prices rise so does the price of resin. Go to a industry supplier and you will pay at least $10.00 per litre. As with anything the price does drop with volume but not a great deal.

Consumables are not cheap, nor is rent. Insurance is a killer in the composite industry because of the fire risk. Workers comp insurance if you employ people is very high because of the nature of the work.

So when you go into your local ding repairers shop and he or she wants to charge you $50.00 to repair a ding the size of your fingernail, particularly if it is the only ding on the board (more dings the price should reduce a little) think about what is involved.

This is a smelly, sometimes itchy and definatly a hazadous industry some of us work in. It's a dirty, dirty job. But someone has to do it. platty.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:28 pm

I think you'll have to forgive them platty, they know not what they say.

Anyone who begrudges a quality ding repairer their fee is living in lal la land. It takes years of learning to be good at this - as opposed to the shop grommet being given a few boards to work things out on!

By all means fix your own boards, its good for your soul and a great practical skill but stop short of bagging guys who do it full time. The few that I know who do this are wizards.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:34 pm

TKK long time no hear. That Woods is covered with cobwebs. platty.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:32 pm

Actually called you today platty but no answer. Nonetheless, you're right...its been a while. I think Will wants to go ahead with some kind of restoration but not complete. I'll try to catch you tomorrow.

apologies.

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:57 pm

Duct tape ain't water tight Fong.
If you don't want to repair it you can get water proof stickers or rolls from some surf shops called surf board repair tape I think will last app 6 months.
But the repair doesn't sound too hard, it's just the colour that you won't be able to fix. Either that or bite the bullet and part with $60.00.

smw1
Local

Post by smw1 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:28 pm

I've used duct tape in emergency situations, but it becomes porous when soaked. You can buy waterproof tape from any decent surf shop, and it's one of the the first things in my bag whenever going on a trip.

But it's temporary only. Get em fixed ASAP I say.

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:17 pm

Not sure about the duct tape option. Epoxy boards soak up water like a sponge through the smallest leak, turning a fingernail ding into an arm amputation. If you don't want to spend money on a proper job, get some epoxy Sloarez and fill it in. You might find the Solarez stays a little tacky even after curing, so try dusting it with talcum powder for a dry finish. By now, the many craftsmen on this forum are reeling in horror - and I agree you should get it fixed properly - but the option above has worked for me "on the road". Also bear in mind that I need an instruction manual to change the batteries in the tv remote.