mal surf culture

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

sharky
Grommet

mal surf culture

Post by sharky » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:30 am

Well, first off I'd just like to say hello and introduce myself, since I am new to this forum, and this is my first post.
I'm originally from California (Santa Barabara), moved to New York (Manhattan), and am now living in North Carolina (Wrightsville Beach).
Surfing is my life--and I am sure most of you can relate.
I have been dreaming about moving to NSW for as long as I can remember, and that dream may become a reality in the near future.
Don't worry! I am a totally good vibe wahine, who loves the true essence of longboarding, and it is never my intention to be disrespectful in any way (in or out of the water).
Over the years I have accumulated as much information as possible about surfing in Australia.
From what I have gathered, yes there is a mal culture there (how can there not be with so much beautiful coastline?--especially further north with all the point breaks) but from what I've been reading on this forum, it seems that mal riding is definitley in the minority?
And especially around the city (Sydney)?
Is this true?
Are mal riders looked upon poorly?
Is it difficult to find a good vibe mal wave close to the city?
My gut says that (as with everything, really) if you put out a good vibe, that's what you'll get back--so no worries.
But I was hoping to hear from some of you....
Thanks in advance, and if there's any info I can offer about surfing in Cali, NYC, or NC, please shoot your questions my way. I'll do my best to help you out.
Thanks,
Sharky.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:30 am

hi, sharky,
why do all the good girls leave n.c.? is it the nascar racing?
i'm also from wrightsville area (can't afford to live on the beach anymore) :cry:

we have to stop meeting like this :roll:

i think you'll find a lovin, peaceful, pastoral group-hug kind of vibe amongst all the aussie wave-riding tribes: lidders, shortboarders, mal riders, goat boaters, clubbies;

all one big happy family, really, anxious to share the love with one another and the rest of the world.
do you drink beer :?: that would help.

but for the true mal inside down low, tho, ask for freshieboy :shock: .

have a great time :!: i'm comin down w/ fam to visit rellies for a few weeks dec/jan.

ps, you'll need an avatar. fong informed me (rightly) it was a visa requirement.
marauding mullet wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 6:03 pm
Jesus I’m surrounded by schnitzel tards.

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Thu Oct 20, 2005 7:09 am

offshore1 wrote:i think you'll find a lovin, peaceful, pastoral group-hug kind of vibe amongst all the aussie wave-riding tribes: lidders, shortboarders, mal riders, goat boaters, clubbies;
I didn't think yanks understood our humour,
I have been shown wrong :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

philw
Local

Post by philw » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:33 am

There's plenty of mal riders everywhere. You'll find a wave that suits you but I'd say that mostly the waves around Sydney are better for shortboards. Short shouldered peaky beach break is the usual sort of thing.

I got a question: I've been thinking about working in NYC and was wondering if it's possible to get waves mid week - ie: before or after work? And if so, how frequently? I've been to NYC once but I didn't go out of Manhattan so I've no idea where you'd want to live, go etc for reasonable access to waves.

I'm guessing the answer is not but it'd be nice to think it was possible.

greygrom
regular

Post by greygrom » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:39 am

You are sadly misinformed (like most of the inhabitants of your beautiful but well pillaged land).

Long boarders are a plague on our great Nation. They are the well groomed obese rats of the nation. They are the flotsam and jettison of the line up, sadly lacking in either vibe or intelligence. I am not where they come from but when the surf is small and the waves clean and the wind offshore they arrive like a march of swollen lemmings; surf, surf, mate, look at that, we are into it, wow, they chant as they descend on the tiny waves already over run by discarded chilly bin luds coveted by the tribes of prepubescent blinged up poor unfortunates who through a degenerative gene never learnt to stand up and be counted.

This sad and pathetic sight is what awaits you if you venture from your patriotic god fearing country (just like George Bush says).

May I suggest you over fly our dry desolate wave less country and settle on a little place called Pitcairn Island where the women are free (and very young) and men rule and the waves endless and uncrowded. There you will find the land of free vibing lineups you sadly and endlessly seek. Alternatively Bondi is also said to be a place where group hug old man surfboard riding Wahinis hang out.

Australia can offer you nothing, for Australia is but another state of the land of fear you wish to escape.

robbieg
regular

Post by robbieg » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:40 pm

greygrom wrote:You are sadly misinformed (like most of the inhabitants of your beautiful but well pillaged land).

Long boarders are a plague on our great Nation. They are the well groomed obese rats of the nation. They are the flotsam and jettison of the line up, sadly lacking in either vibe or intelligence. I am not where they come from but when the surf is small and the waves clean and the wind offshore they arrive like a march of swollen lemmings; surf, surf, mate, look at that, we are into it, wow, they chant as they descend on the tiny waves already over run by discarded chilly bin luds coveted by the tribes of prepubescent blinged up poor unfortunates who through a degenerative gene never learnt to stand up and be counted.

This sad and pathetic sight is what awaits you if you venture from your patriotic god fearing country (just like George Bush says).

May I suggest you over fly our dry desolate wave less country and settle on a little place called Pitcairn Island where the women are free (and very young) and men rule and the waves endless and uncrowded. There you will find the land of free vibing lineups you sadly and endlessly seek. Alternatively Bondi is also said to be a place where group hug old man surfboard riding Wahinis hang out.

Australia can offer you nothing, for Australia is but another state of the land of fear you wish to escape.
Give the guy a chance,

mate truth be told, "mal riders" dont have the best reputation around her. They come out on weekends, fall off or bale in front of you, drive and surf like they own the road, and ocean... and there are millions of em like this...

On the other side though i only ride a longboard, either a 8'6 or a 9'1, the crowds aside there is little problems in the water. As soon as people around you see your not kookin up your waves, maybe let one or two go through to the shortboarder further in, and just generally respect people you have no issues.

I am a big fan of freshwater, (no not a plug for you freshieboy) and before anyone complains bout inviting someone to freshie its not like it is a secret spot :roll:

yeah mate, i love it all except the crowds, if you can deal with them you will have an awesome time here. 8)
Meataxe wrote:Vortex you're carrying on like the worst kind of moron. So stop being such a bitch.
vortex wrote: Eat sh1t and die.

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:24 am

sharky's a girl, mates.
look, we scared her away :oops:

she's probably at this moment trading her sydney ticket for aukland, after taking the full measure of these forums :roll:

sharky, come back.
you haven't met ompers yet :!: :shock:
marauding mullet wrote:

sharky
Grommet

Post by sharky » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:52 am

No one's been scared off. You guys are being quite friendly actually. Thanks!
I've had an old friend visiting me, and haven't had a chance to log on to the forum...

But, thanks for all the feedback!

So, offshore1, you're really from Wrightsville? And your living in NSW now? That's nuts! And I'm all about the lovin, peaceful, pastoral group-hug kind of vibe...so, that's great to hear!

And philw, I have never experienced anything quite like city surfing in Manhattan. I went as often as there was surf (no less than once every 10 days--so not so great really, and actually I think there was one stretch there, where I didn't get wet for a couple of weeks!--but I digress...)
Rockaway is the closest wave that I found. It's about a 45 minute drive (at best--as I recall) to get there. The waves are fine and at times quite epic (for East Coast US standards) VERY cold in the winter. Surfed in a couple of blizzrds in a 6/5/4. Getting a surf in before or after work?? Well, if you don't start work until 11:00 am then yes it's possible. It's pretty rough really. BUT if you do move there it is a great city, lots to offer and if you're really keen you will find a wave to ride. It takes quite a bit of effort though. Let me know if you're really going--I'll give you my friend's contact info. He lives in Brooklyn and is a die hard surfer. Actually rents a little shack at Rockaway to keep all his gear.

greygrom, it sounds like you need a long group hug and some Reiki.

robbieg, I totally understand and I agree--respect goes a long way...thanks for the insight.

And, no, I haven't traded in my ticket!!

The truth is...I haven't even bought it yet.

But I will.....

:D

I am a little scared of ompers....who's he? His name sounds like he's out to crush people.

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Re: mal surf culture

Post by Johnno » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:13 am

sharky wrote: I have been dreaming about moving to NSW for as long as I can remember, and that dream may become a reality in the near future.
Don't worry! I am a totally good vibe wahine, who loves the true essence of longboarding, and it is never my intention to be disrespectful in any way (in or out of the water).
Good chance that dream may become a nightmare when you get here...................... :shock: :lol:

Sydney and the Gold Coast best places for a mal with not much in between............................. :arrow:

Bondi is the best mal beach in Oz......................hay guys............... :wink: :lol:

philw
Local

Post by philw » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:26 am

cheers sharky.

as i thought. despite some US websites posting shots of enticing looking waves supposedly near NYC it's ain't gonna happen if you got a job to go to.

and many thanks for offer of surf contact - very generous of you. see that everyone? americans ARE nice people! but nothing's definite yet, i'm just considering a year working somewhere else. NYC or Tokyo would be my preference but maybe San Francisco also (yeah maybe easier wave access - but from what I've seen the options are either Fort Point or Ocean beach, both of which have a few drawbacks when considering a quick pre work session!).

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:04 am

sharky wrote: So, offshore1, you're really from Wrightsville? And your living in NSW now? That's nuts! And I'm all about the lovin, peaceful, pastoral group-hug kind of vibe...so, that's great to hear!

greygrom, it sounds like you need a long group hug and some Reiki.

I am a little scared of ompers....who's he? His name sounds like he's out to crush people.

Hi, sharks,

my typing may be a little sketchy right now cause i'm laughing so hard.

actually, incredibly, while oz sleeps, except ompers, (and, yes, you probably should be very afraid of him. he's never met a girl in real life before) you and i are half a world away in the same town.

i think it's fate :shock:

my wife (oh, yeah, my wife :oops: )has family in katoomba, penrith, terrey hills; we're going over for a visit w/ our two boys.

as i said before, n.c.'s loss will be oz's gain.

best of luck to ya.
marauding mullet wrote:

captain caveman
Grommet

Post by captain caveman » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:14 pm

Hey Sharky,
How about giving us a photo of you at your favorate surf break, after all that's how we give out holiday visa's....
you can get 2 weeks, 6 months, 12 months or even permenant residency, depending on how you rate on the scale out of ten.
By the way when you do come over can you bring me a box of sex wax,(warm water), one of Tyler's nose riders,
also if you fit the permenant residency end of the immigration scale you can :) have 2 nights free accomodation in my cave, under the condition you know how to make a bacon and egg roll with cheese and bbq sauce, for me both mornings..
And if you can open a Stubbie of VB or Coopers under the table without raising an eyebrow, I'll even show you some of the East Coasts best Longboard spots,( I have heaps of photo's but not many maps).
Looking forward to your facials,(when you see our wonderful country that is),
Signing out for now,

Captain CCCavvveeeeemmannnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sharky
Grommet

Post by sharky » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:20 am

those two pics from todays surf report at nth ave. look pretty sweet...

offshore1, glad I was able to make you laugh. That's always a good thing. I still can't get over the fact that you're from Wrightsville...Were you born and raised here? I've only been here for 4 years, and although i like it, i really have never felt like it was "home"...
Anyway...I hope I never meet ompers. I do know that.

How do I post an avatar?

And for you Captain Cccaaavmaaaaaan...
Do you guys not have sex wax in Australia?
And unfortunatley I don't even know what a Stubbie of VB or Coopers is! I guess I should find out, huh?

Pics of favorite break??......

Well my favorite break has always been Rincon (Santa Barbara, CA.) Such a great wave...but I don't have any pics of that on hand right now.

In terms of where I live now....
Check out this website:

http://www.dpsurfer.com/

This guy is an AMAZING photographer/surfer here at Wrightsville.

Click on the South East NC "Gallery" to get an idea of the conditions here when it's good.

And the "Winter 05 NC Slideshow" is from here too--totally great stuff.

(All of his slideshows are epic. Very talented guy.)

Hope you guys enjoy it.

I'll see what else I can conjur up that might be of some interest...

Thanks again you guys for all the feedback and good vibes. I really do appreciate it.

Later.

sharky
Grommet

Post by sharky » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:28 am

philw:

on that URL that I just posted above, click on the the "unsound pro 2005" under the NEWS section to see some great shot of Long Beach NY.

Long Beach is about an hour from the city. Pretty close to Rockaway. 8)

offshore1
Duke Status

Post by offshore1 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:36 am

sharky wrote: offshore1, glad I was able to make you laugh. That's always a good thing. I still can't get over the fact that you're from Wrightsville...Were you born and raised here? I've only been here for 4 years, and although i like it, i really have never felt like it was "home"...
despite your moniker, you seem like such a sweet girl, sharky. clueless, but sweet :wink: . you remind me of cameron diaz in, 'there's something about mary.'

that being said, what brought you to north carolina? are you in the movie business, yourself?
sorry you don't feel at home here but, with the god-forsaken rampant development that's been going on, even though i grew up here, i don't feel at home anymore either. sad, really, once lovely place paved over.

my family had a place @ wrightsville back pre-1980's, (pre-I 40, pre-condos, pre- shell island development, etc.,...) but had to sell to yuppie latte drinkers (no offense, 'cause if yur livin in wrightsville now, that's probably what you are).
couldn't afford the taxes.

i live and work in town now, seven miles from wrightsville.

i did manage to buy a small getaway cottage up at topsail beach some years ago (between hurricanes) to avoid the crowds, but the whole stinkin' devlopment/tax thing is rolling inexorably up that way now, too.

:idea: my plan is to move in with fong :idea:

so, mal rider, you like surfing shell? fig 8? crystal?
mase was firing weekend before last.

small world, ain't it?
marauding mullet wrote:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:56 am

offshore1 wrote: :idea: my plan is to move in with fong :idea:
I don't think miss fonger would agree to that as she's already living with one child and is expecting another and add you and your kids it might overwhelm her and apparently she is rather strict too :!:

Sharky,
I think you will find what youse are looking for and you'll be able to leave that suit of armour behind (6/5/4 - the 3/2 I had earlier this year felt like armour no idea what that'd feel like)

Just a few words of advice before you come:
- sit down and watch a whole game of cricket and consume at least 1/2 a case of beer while doing so - you'll get a better understanding of why we are like we are
- understand that we have four different types of football, one with the round ball, 3 with the oval and if you can learn to differentiate which is which, it'll also help :!:
- avoid the big stinks there full of all the crap that's previously been mentioned

dodah

p.s John's missus seems to be away a lot and he lives on a nice stretch of the coast maybe youse two could hook up :?:
p.p.s he does seem a bit old, grumpy and set in his ways though
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

sharky
Grommet

Post by sharky » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:28 am

offshore1 you are tripping me OUT!
you actually live here??!! And/but you are going on holiday to Sydney in December? WTF??!! :D
AND to top it off I found your screen name on WbLive.com (did you go to the movie in the park the other night?)
AND I think I may even know you.....just maybe...

I surf the inlet a lot, in front of Bloackade Runner, or Stone St. Sometimes the south end.
How about you?
And, Cameron Diaz huh?

Whos' Fong?

munch, thanks for the words of advice..beer and football eh?
I may have a tough time with that...
I think I'd rather stick to yoga and dreamy surf sessions.
I hope that's OK.

And , not sure why you're trying to hook me up with John when his missus is away?? Seems pretty random. (Especially being that he is grumpy?? huh?) I guess I'm missing something, being the cluless, but sweet girl that I am :wink:

sharky
Grommet

Post by sharky » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:54 am

offshore1
ok, ok, ok...
It's all coming together for me now...
i just re-read all of your post for like the 5th time, and I GET IT!!!
The whole half world away in the same town....I get it!

I'm really not as clueless as it seems. I promise. :oops: