The need to belong

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:35 pm

Of course buzzy since its Bondi your talking about I guess dressing like that would make you stand out amongst the trendoids and others who parade up and down in their finest designer wear/goth wear/drag wear/middle eastern car enthusiast wear/tourist wear/business suits/gangster rapper wear and bikinis.
On most other beaches youd just look like the rest of the slobs :D

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:24 am

Who's to say he surfed........................ :idea:

Lots of people dress like that and don't surf, maybe thought it made him look young and cool................ :lol:

And we are talking about Bondi....................... :roll:

Even seen Jamie Packer in boardies and surf shirt, but that don't mean the guy is a surfer...................... :arrow:

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:22 am

I think pubic wig has a point here as avatars are like t-shirts and can be used to express what/where you belong (and phantom you belong in the bin - the long boarder forums are for people trying to act cool and laid back, whether they are or not is another topic! and comments like yours will just turn it into a flame session - like the gayboarder forums). A lot of people in these forums use em to show which group they belong to and I don't see anything wrong with that, it makes it easier to get an idea of who they are. You, buzzy the avatarless are effected by it whether you like it or not and should be more open to society and allow yourself to be branded or at least not let your essence be stirred by others who have allowed themselves to be branded.

On a more constructive point - I reckon the old showers that were made from big cement blocks were great, the sun would warm em up and you'd get a good stream of warmish water
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

shish
regular

Post by shish » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:52 am

People love to make sweeping generalisations on these forums about what people are like because of where they live, what they wear or what they drive. This poor bloke with longboarder on his jacket may not have given a second thought about what he's wearing, nor may he give a shit. By compartmentalising people, you have formed your own 'tribe'. You think you are cooler, because you dont wear branded clothing ie your own form of fashion statement. I was wearing a tracks t shirt the other day, but only because I got if for free, and I didnt give a second thought to wearing it. Maybe someone walking past thought I was trying to adverstise my 'tribe'
yeehaa!

munch
Harry the Hat

Post by munch » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:46 am

Rockin' Ron wrote:
munch wrote:I think pubic wig has a point here as avatars are like t-shirts and can be used to express what/where you belong
And that Munchkins, is why I don't feel the need to express god-knows-what with an avatar. Then again it is being anti-tribal to the point of being self-fulfilling and therefore tribal. Given the recent rantings against the avatarless I am now never going to have an avatar, or a signature quote or any reference to where I am based or what I do. Nuthin'....

Man I must be cool...I feel like I belong. What to? I'm not sure but no doubt someone will tell me...
You belong to the avatarless, there, your've been branded, though it's a boring bland one :!:

p.s the lack of emoticons in your posts bores me :wink:
If it's well engineered it's beautiful .

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:31 pm

I don't have an avator because I'm too dumb to get one :D
One of the great paradoxes - sets can only exist if there is something outside of sets but everything outside of sets can be put into the set of things outside of all sets. Therefore, no sets exist.

greygrom
regular

Post by greygrom » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:28 pm

mmmmmm a T shirt Logo on a smooth dude in Bondi .... who wooda thunk

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Spoon » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:47 pm

I read once that 90% of people don't actually look at the logos on t-shirts or couldn't remember them when asked what the person they spoke to five mins ago was advertising.
I suppose it is also increasing harder to get a shirt with some sort of style which isn't plain or have a brand name.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:10 pm

Speaking of the need to belong. I was getting out of the surf at the above mentioned secret spot in the Eastern Suburbs a couple of weeks ago and the shore break was pretty surgey and crunchy. You had to time your exit to avoid getting pitched up the beach.
I noticed a guy floundering around and thought he had got skittled.
When I got out of the water I saw this guy get back up, turn his board around facing the surf and stand on it :shock:
He looked kind of meditteranian or something. He also looked like he had a rental board. He is standing in the sand on his board when another shorebreak flattens him :D He gets washed out and washed backin.
He gets up and does it again. It was like he expected the waves to pick him up and take him out to sea standing up.

He was still at it as I drove away. Obviously a local :D

Johnno
Harry the Hat

Post by Johnno » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:26 pm

Beanpole wrote:Speaking of the need to belong. I was getting out of the surf at the above mentioned secret spot in the Eastern Suburbs a couple of weeks ago and the shore break was pretty surgey and crunchy. You had to time your exit to avoid getting pitched up the beach.
When I got out of the water I saw this guy get back up, turn his board around facing the surf and stand on it :shock:
He looked kind of meditteranian or something. He also looked like he had a rental board. He is standing in the sand on his board when another shorebreak flattens him :D He gets washed out and washed backin.
He gets up and does it again. It was like he expected the waves to pick him up and take him out to sea standing up.

Could be the latest surf craze from Europe..................shore bashing.

:wink: :lol:

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:49 pm

"K Mart sucks".

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Thu Oct 20, 2005 10:49 pm

Beanpole wrote:Speaking of the need to belong. I was getting out of the surf at the above mentioned secret spot in the Eastern Suburbs a couple of weeks ago and the shore break was pretty surgey and crunchy. You had to time your exit to avoid getting pitched up the beach.

haha thats hilarious. Wouldnt surprise me though. The other day i was having a rather long chat with a self proclaimed all seasons surfer while checking the surf, which i thought..."he must be a kook to say such a thing straight up, but must also know what hes talkin about" (relating to board design).. i kept on conversation and he willingly showed me his twin fin fish he was raving about.

I was stunned to see he had it with the two fins back the front. I asked him how long he has had it for and how many times he has ridden it. He replied "ive had it for a few months, and ridden it over 30 times from the Superbank to Ulludulla"

:shock:

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:28 pm

Just picked up on this thread. So what if the guy had "longboarder" on his shirt. Good on him. I've never gone looking for a logo on something to wear, but if it's there, I'm hardly going to lose sleep over it. At least "longboarder" isn't promoting the brand name of a company (unless it's one I've never heard of (in which case the advertising isn't working).
When it comes to what's written on clothing, how about what was on the Queenscliff Boardriders Club (the name might not be verbatim - but certainly Queenscliff) competition shirts a few years ago. They said "F**k Off". Really did wonders for the club's reputation.