old school freaks

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

the kalakau kid

old school freaks

Post by the kalakau kid » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:20 pm

well hello all you singlefin & volane afficianados,

you may well already know this site but i just found it and its a beauty for anyone who admires JT & what he rides.

enjoy

http://www.joeltudor.com
Last edited by the kalakau kid on Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:25 pm

I like the look of the Rabbit shape. Nice functional late 70's single fin design. Wouldn't mind picking myself one like that from the late 70's with a big fin box single fin. Not necessarily functional, but nostalgic and fun to have.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:46 pm

Function is an interesting concept when considering boards like this i reckon. If we wanted pure hi-performance, theres not much to deny that contemporaty boards are the pinnacle of design but.... if you are after a different riding style, then other stuff from the past comes into its own. Just reading an interview with Jimmy Gamboa in the new Longboard Magazine and he talks about riding older designs and the time it takes to appreciate their strengths. Plus the importance of riding them in the waves they were intended for.

all that said, the boards would just be a lot of fun i reckon. Wonder if they are gonna come out here?

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:51 pm

Yeah looking at the dealership lists, they are only selling in the states, hawaii and japan for now, but i would love to get my hands on some of those logs in there.

Notice the team riders? All about 15 or 16 years old... lucky buggars... i reckon this company has got a lot of future as more and more people look to experience that old school california feel.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:59 pm

I vaguely remember reading an article by Nick or Tom Carroll in the very early eighties, not long after the introduction of the thruster, in which it was suggested surfers should continue to learn on single fins to develop good technique. I wonder if the Carroll brothers stand by that advice? You certainly do need to understand the wave better as you can't generate speed out of a turn on a single fin like you can on a thruster. Waddaya think?

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:12 pm

There's no doubt to me that thrusters can conver a multitude of sins which singles will never let you get away with. Is this good for technique or does should we take advantage of technology? No real right answer to this one.
I reckon that you should learn on a board that allows for mistakes and doesn't cover them up myself. The basics of surfing are so important, and on their own make for a great, stylish surfer, that they cannot be ignored.
Saw an older guy out at Copa point last week ( on a shortboard) and he was such a good, smooth surfer, always balanced, the board straight up on a trimming plane from take-off/ Not flashy but great to watch.

on another note = maybe we should approach JT for the Australian agency?!?!
Can't decide which boards I like more, the eggs, guns or logs?

whitey
regular

To easy

Post by whitey » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:31 pm

Just get one shaped out here it would be a sh!t lot cheaper. http://www.freedomlongboarding.com could make one or just your local shaper should be able to fix you with one if you take a pic in.

_cant_touch_this
Supporter
Supporter

Post by _cant_touch_this » Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:42 pm

iv tried surfing a shortboard with only the back fin....pretty hard when the fin is a TC whiteline FCS...theyr heaps small

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:05 am

CTT,

you might be able to get an FCS longboard fin the back plugs & that would hold a little better.I can't remember if they still have 3 tabs or not....

Be interesting to hear if it works.

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:03 am

I once snapped the middle fin out of one of my shortboards on a surftrip and had to either ride it or my eight foot gun. The twin fin felt like no fins at all since they were so small to start with. The board would just slide out, good fun for a little while but I ended riding the eight footer most of the time anyway as the swell was pretty much 6-8ft for the rest of the trip.

I definetely think it is important for a surfer to ride all kinds of boards, short, mals, singles, twin fins, thrusters, flyers when progressing. It just makes you a much better surfer when you begin to understand how a particular design works and riding longer boards can definetely smooth out your style. You can't help but be smooth when riding some 9ft waterlogged, dinged of airplane wing from the sixties.

One thing about longboards though is that when you get them out in waves over two feet or with a bit of suck they do have a tendancy to try and undergo mitosis. You can't disagree with that one kk, Jewey just doesn't like them.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:00 pm

THE BEST OLD SKOOL SURFER LIVING NOW IS ALEX KNOST

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:04 pm

I've heard of him and see him in a few mags...why is he the best? What does he do thats so special?

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Wed Mar 10, 2004 6:03 pm

Alex Knost has a beautiful style about his riding, looks like he's in total control in the small wave stuff I've seen him in. Does that side slip thing from the nose too ala Miklos Dora.

How was Tudor up the coast Longygrom??
"Stay happy and everything will be just fine....." Jack Norris

platty
regular

old school longboards

Post by platty » Wed Mar 10, 2004 8:30 pm

I'm with Whitey ,go and get one shaped. I have two old school 50/50 railers shaped by John Sojoski (Wave Signature Surfboards). A 9'6" and a 9'0" both glassed heavy with vinylester resin to get that old look. I don't own a HP longboard. I ride these boards 90% of the time. Platty.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:22 am

Nice one Platty, theres definitely plenty to be said for getting boards made locally, if your shaper/glasser is up to it.
Still, i think its good to look at what others are doing and broaden horizons. Not many of us would be riding traditional boards if all we did was ask a shaper to keep making the same thing. The influence from people who are out on the fringe is what drives change and that was what I was getting at with my original post.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:51 pm

Image[/img]

platty
regular

Post by platty » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:56 pm

Thought i'd try loading a picture. Worked first time. For those who are interested this is a "Bing" I am restoring No 445 late 50's early 60's made in the USA. Platty.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:17 pm

VERY nice platty!