outer island

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

vb
Local

outer island

Post by vb » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:41 pm

Interesting reading thru the name brands of the quivers detailed on this forum and I'm just wondering if anyone else has an Outer Island/Mitchell Rae modern mal (9ft plus). I've even looked up the website and can't see anything over 7.6 among the stockies listed. I got it second-hand off the rack and am wondering if maybe it's a one-off ...

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:03 pm

vb,

Mitchell has made quite a few longboards over the years but I don't think its the main part of his business. At my guess, most of the boards I have seen are shortboards or guns.
However, I have seen his longboards floating around and they are pretty nice boards, often with lots of detail like cedar stringers, mother-of-pearl inlay or flex tails. I've never ridden one but people who have them usually rave about them. You would probably be able to to get in touch with him pretty easily and find out where to look at some others. He used to live on the central coast but is now up near Bellingen/Urunga I think.

Is yours single concave with the chimed rails?

vb
Local

Post by vb » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:33 pm

thanks kk, mine's a tri-fin 9 footer. It's about 15 inches longer (and 3 kilos lighter) than my trusty old Ron Wade and I bought to satisfy minimum length requirement for a mal club. As a mal ... or at least the ones I used to ride ... it's pretty hopeless (noseriding etc) but s*** is the thing fast. I think I love it ....

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:01 pm

vb,

nice to hear you're stoked. Fast sounds right for an outer.
Woudn't mind getting one myself one of these days......