mctavish boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

pridmore
Owl status

Re: mctavish boards

Post by pridmore » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:51 pm

not you so why are you even bothering taking part ???

RickyG
Snowy McAllister

Post by RickyG » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:05 am

bood wrote:who cares about bood
no one
andy2476 wrote:
Ricky gets my vote. I hate undercover tards.

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:36 pm

Yeh this aint a booogeee boarrdd thread you cant say that.

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:57 am

marcus_h wrote:Chillin mate I get what your saying about Mctavish but your comment say 'go custom' are mostly kidding themselves when it comes to mals however not so much.

This may surprise you but an off the shelf job may not be what works for a certain person and not all mals are the same. Ive had two customs both from Classic Malibu at Noosa. Both times I couldnt find anything off the shelf that fitted what I wanted (old school nose rider) so for the same price I got one made to my specs.
Yeah, there a local ex oz champ (Garry Taylor) who rides a couple of Classic Malibu's, they look like cracking boards. I was really having a dig at the Posrche Latte/reborn/casual surfer crew, few of whom could probably tell the difference, therefore the off the shelf model will work fine as long as the price is right. My thoughts are that the better the surfer, the more custom he will appreciate.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:15 pm

I know you guys are talking mals but my thought is that a better surfer can ( or should be able to ) adapt to a board that isnt perfect for him and that an average or intermediate surfer needs their ideal board more, because the ability isnt there, then by them having their perfect ( or at least much more suitable ) board will allow them to surf better and enjoy themselves alot more...I get alot of satisfaction by shaping average surfers boards and seeing or hearing of the enjoyment ( and improvement compared to their previous and not so suitable board )...and it can be hard to find the ideal board off the rack all the time, it does happen but it is hard for shops to stock a range where they will have a board to suit everyone IMO.... 8)

Chillin
charger

Post by Chillin » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:50 pm

Well this thread is primarily about Mctavish and he's primarily mals and if your average beginner/intermediate surfer can't find one of McT boards to fit his skill/wave level, then he's not trying.
Your opinion is worth as much as it costs.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:16 pm

Last time I went custom I reckon the only difference between what I got and what I was shown in the shop was it had my name in pencil on it :?
Yes it went better than I thought. Yes it has almost lived up to the speal but I still would have prefered the extra length I wanted. Since then I've gone back to a lot of looking and finding the board that fits the bill rather than compromising. If a shaper or salesman sees me surfing then they can make an informed choice for me but if they haven't its just down to haircuts and clothes. They basically think your a kook until proven otherwise so they'll sell you any old thing I reckon. Even if theyre trying to help they still don't know if your realistic about your ability or not. If your talking it up or understating.
They usually pick talking it up :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

pridmore
Owl status

Post by pridmore » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Chillin wrote:Well this thread is primarily about Mctavish and he's primarily mals and if your average beginner/intermediate surfer can't find one of McT boards to fit his skill/wave level, then he's not trying.
i know the thread is about McT but thats why I started my comments as I did....Talking about all craft in general but may be a bit off topic...but what thread on here isnt ??? :roll:

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:09 pm

pridmore wrote:
Chillin wrote:Well this thread is primarily about Mctavish and he's primarily mals and if your average beginner/intermediate surfer can't find one of McT boards to fit his skill/wave level, then he's not trying.
i know the thread is about McT but thats why I started my comments as I did....Talking about all craft in general but may be a bit off topic...but what thread on here isnt ??? :roll:
Definitely happy with my current carver as mentioned before. It was a very well thought out decision on my part over a reasonably long time. The two biggest hurdles being the logos and the stereotypes. Obviously these shouldn't affect any rational decision about a board being any good or not.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

nu boy
regular

Post by nu boy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:05 pm

That G2 looks fckune awsome.I think it might be better as a thruster instead of a 2+1 though :?:

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:33 pm

Last edited by lostman on Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

SDA
Grommet

Post by SDA » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:07 am

I had a Ray Gleave until recently - great fun to ride.. incredible glide! However I wasn't a fan of the 3 stage rocker and the nose was a little flat. You needed to ride it like only Ray Gleave can.

Has anyone ridden a Carver Fish? Not interested in how it went as a 5 finner.. more as a Thruster and maybe a Quad?

Cheers
Don't name spots on the internet!!!

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:05 pm

No but it was rumored to be produced as a tuflite soon in which case I will be selling at least one board to get a down payment :D
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

grapsta
regular

Post by grapsta » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Have these things come down in price in last few years ? ..coz i saw an 8'0 Carver for $750 in Cronulla the other day ...and think it was only reduced from $900

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:24 pm

Got mine for about that a couple of years ago and it got clobbered quite a few times just after I bought it. Still in pretty good shape considering and I have to say that it still occasionally blows me away when the surf is bigger/better with a bit of power and a long wall.
Its a bit too corky for duck diving so it has its limits but its very comfortable on a decent wave.

It has the classic problem of all round nosed boards in that it doesn't pierce the wave. Makes for a different turn off the top but its a problem if you want get through the lip or punch through paddling out.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

grapsta
regular

Post by grapsta » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:32 pm

bought that board..turns out it had a wee repaired ding. hasn't been surfed though. reduced from 1050 so I'm happy as

old grom
Grommet

Post by old grom » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:20 pm

iggy wrote:love the look of the G2
And
nu boy wrote:That G2 looks darn awsome.I think it might be better as a thruster instead of a 2+1 though
IF I was in the market for a GUN - this would be very temping - as quite versitle - at 9ft - for those big cyclone days - get on real early - but may also be some use instead of a Mal as well (minus the nose ride), for learners and unfit friends up from the city for a weekend ?

Looking at Mc T's web site - very versitle - got to be something/ a flavour to make everyone drool!

I like the Scooter... :D http://www.mctavish.com.au/_webapp_731686/Scooter

but would also love a go on a Bobsled - esp in some decent surf.

http://www.mctavish.com.au/_webapp_731166/Bobsled

If you had a Scooter - and a Bobsled - you got a quiver right there. Anyone ridden any of these models? - OG

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Or you can use a Michael Cundith mal gun which has more range in that it is really fun to ride in small point waves or beachies.
This one is 9'3" X 22" X 3 & 1/8" and I've ridden it in everything from 1' to woah!
The G2 has a much narrower focus according to a guy I know who has had one.
This one is currently residing at a mates (who never uses it and he may even sell it for around $650.
It's in immaculate condition with a resin tint on the rails and bottom.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Only a rat can win the rat race.