mctavish boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:20 pm

great coffee!
bit of a hike from forries for you, just for a coffee, but next time you're down that way.............
Last edited by matt... on Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:25 pm

Cheers, mate. I'll drop in when i can. Promise not to bring the Mctavish or the cayenne.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Thu Mar 04, 2004 4:52 pm

we'll let you bring that custom mctavish you're after - should you be able to track down Bob for that chat !

yeah & if the swell doesn't pick up, i may have to take the mal out on sunday! (god, how many times is it this summer?)
they are fun in the smaller stuff.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:07 pm

With any luck sunday will be pumping. Have you seen the forecasts? Check out the BOM or swellnet or the goat. Picking up Sat'dy arvo & then pumping through Sunday from the N/east. Might even get some haven action!
Dunno if you've ever seen it totally off its gourd but I have once & was like Honolua Bay. Seriously.

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:08 am

Yeah bra there should be some swell but the Haven can be pretty unpleasant when the swell is from the NE or ENE as I think it will be. It gets too rippy and breaks too wide. Looks like maxing Wambi point will be the go, or a long shot, Birdie Point.

matt...
charger

Post by matt... » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:19 am

cool...
i'll keep an eye on my favourite NE swell spots....

yeah the haven sections too much in the NE, and open to the wind as well.

i'm guessing the wind will be from the NE as well...

Simple Ben

Post by Simple Ben » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:01 am

The wind looks like it is going to be all over the place mate, especially tomorrow. Sunday looks the goods though, supposed to stay offshore all day. It would be nice but I think it may be a little early in Autumn to expect those kind of prime conditions, we can only hope. Check http://buoy.ocens.net/wxnav.jsp?region= ... 10&units=e for more.

platty
regular

McTavish boards

Post by platty » Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:24 pm

Of all the boards that are produced at McTavish, how many does he actually shapes?Platty.

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:41 am

Jeez platty,

theres a question mate. I wouldn't even hazard a guess. I' ll ask my brother who knows Bob. Might take a few days.

hamish
regular

mctavish boards

Post by hamish » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:25 pm

I spoke to the mctavish factory today. They said Bob does a lot of the customs. I was also told by a shop manager he oversees whatever comes out of the factory.

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:10 pm

Personally I think the art is in the design rather than the actual shaping. With computer shaping the shaper is touching up and finishing off nowadays. So long as they are taught and supervised well I see nothing wrong with a more junior person actually shaping. I mean, does anyone seriously think Al Merrick personally shapes all those CI boards out there? They're still good boards.

Having said that there are a number of quality and good shapers operating out of Sydney right now who you can actually go speak to. On the south side you could try Ben Lucas of Bondi Beach Longboards or ??? of Jackson surfboards at Cronulla. On the northside there'd be heaps too. I'm sure the Barry Bennett factory still makes longboards and I'm sure they do a good job. If you look into it you'll find heaps.

Anyways, just suggestions for local shapers, particularly as the personal touch seems important.

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:16 pm

Man if you live on the northern beaches and are sick of all the kooks on barry bennett and McTavish boards, but want a quality shaper who has lived in the area all his life??

GO TO STEVE O'DONNELL Longboards!!!
On harbord road, in the same building as Warner Surfboards.

Whoever says steve o'donnell boards are crap come down to freshie and be prepared to get your @rse kicked severley.
Steve is a deadset legend and if you into longboarding you should of heard of him.

Nino

Feedback

Post by Nino » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:19 pm

Got a 7' 8" MacTavish carver.
Being a shortboarder,usually bring it out during small days (Knee High and below).
The are not your average long board dimensions but,
have found it to be a silky smooth board to ride, though not designed to be ridden on the nose.
Work the board from the back half, trim from the middle to front half.
Bottom turn and begin the trim, shuffle from back to mid board and
feel the acceleration.
Yep, MacTavishes are totally refined boards and sure they may look
more commercial than most (colours and logo's), but boy the X number of
years he's been shaping shows through time and time again.
Worth every cent !

Cal

mc tavish

Post by Cal » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:29 pm

does anyone know much about Mad Dog boards from Byron? I am looking at a new board sometime soon and want something ace. i currently ride a 9'2" Bob Brown triple stringer and love it, but it is getting bit knocked about.

hamish
regular

mctavish boards

Post by hamish » Tue Mar 09, 2004 7:55 pm

Just ordered a 7'8" carver from the McT factory. Hanging out for it. Saw a guy at freshie with one the other day who was shredding on it.

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:41 pm

I got a McTavish custom about 10 years agao - actually spoke to Bob on the phone. Basically, he beefed up a 9'1" Original for me with a T stringer and heavier glass job, as I wanted a board for the bottom end of WA. It handled beautifully in the juice, but, as someone mentioned earlier, it didn't paddle that well. I now ride a 9'6" Ray Gleave model in summer - very smooth. I also ride a Tufflite 8' Carver in the winter juice - very slippery and paddles as well as a glassed 9'. I love the man's work, so where do I collect my Porsche?

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:27 am

Here's one way to collect a porsche.

get a job at macquarie bank
show up everyday for 20 years, even when its pumping.
collect your porsche.
you may also get a large house in the eastern suburbs at some point.

otherwise? Well, we're all working on that one aren't we?

Nice to hear all the good stories about people getting custom mctavishes. If i can just put the mortgage on hold for a couple of weeks i could slip up the coast for a chat with Bob........

hamish
regular

mctavish boards

Post by hamish » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:55 am

or you could save for one