mctavish boards

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:57 pm

Do you think you are a kook?

Just for interest sake what was the price difference between your Atoll and the MacT? (if you bought them new at relatively the same time).

Over the last seven years the price of supposedly top end models has increased, is this because the boards have got better or because of the resurrgence of popularity of mal riding with the mature age fat wallet brigade?

as I said previously MacT's are probably good boards, but just like Volvos and Toranas and Caffe latte have product associations, so do mactavish's, and as i also said before you have to take the good associations with the bad.

I recently bought a custom off a well respected shaper in my area,
it is: 9'10" with 10oz glass job and fixed fin (my dream old-school board)
It is the most expensive board I have ever ordered at $1050, thats a lot of money, but I hate to think what a Mactavish of similar style and length would cost, $1300-1400 I would guess to be not far off. Before that the most i had paid for a board constructed in a traditional style at 9'6" was $830 which were excellent boards, not just in my own eyes but in the eyes of my peers also.

No-one can justify bobs price tags, can they?

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:23 pm

Wanderer, you bought a board you wanted, and even though it cost you quite a bit, you're happy you got it.

Some people want a MacTavish, they're prepared to pay a bit more for it and they're happy they did.

What's the problem?

Don't paddle around seething with resentment because some people make different decisions that you diasagree with.

Enjoy your board - it sounds beautiful - and be happy for others that enjoy their own boards.

It's not your money, so let it go.

(And for God's sake, buy yourself a luxury car and a decent coffee and shut up about them already!)

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:59 pm

wayback, the coffee sounds good, but definitely no luxury cars even tho they are tempting... I have pledged my services to mother earth, recently selling my big old surf mobile for an environmentally sound Daihatsu Charade, less emissions means my kids inherit a better earth.

On that note I find it a bit silly that mums drive big 4WD's to protect there children...fair enough, no problem with that...but at the same time 4WDS are incredibly inefficient on fuel so the mums are filling their kids world full of harmful poisons...BRING BACK THE STATION WAGONS AND TAX 4WD's OWNED BY CITY DWELLERS AND 9-5 OFFICE TOWER WORKERS!

Phew! that was a bit of a tangent!

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:13 pm

Couldn't agree with you more about the Mums and 4 wheel drives. I drive a 14 year old Commodore wagon, the perfect longboard wheels for me. I often go offroad with mates, so I've thought of getting my own offroader, but it's not often enough to justify the fuel I'd guzzle driving one of them around the rest of time.

Besides, the wagon and I have been on some memorable trips over the years, including dragging my son, his mates and their boards around from when they were 10 year old groms until they got their own cars - so selling it would be like dumping an old mate - just because he got old.

Reckon I'll keep it even though I'm waiting for the Commodore with the new engine to be released. Wouldn't be worth losing it for the trade-in pittance.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:03 pm

bought my mctavish in 2000 in byron for 900

buy my atolls for approx 500 with a trade in

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:21 am

Very happy to say that I only saw 3 or maybe 4 MacT's at the Snowy comp on the weekend, seems there are plenty of shapers out there that can make competitive boards at competitive prices!

Word up to SOD who was probably responsible for a fifth of the boards there on the weekend.

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:43 pm

Wanderer, you obviously haven't grasped that MacT's are mostly bought by true soul surfers, who wouldn't been caught dead selling out and taking part in the competition circus.

I would have thought the simple sprays and muted branding of MacT's would be a giveaway, but you're obviously blinded by the glittering prize of competition.

Well done on your result, anyway. (Imagine how much better you could have done on a MacT!)

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Jun 15, 2004 3:42 pm

wayback wrote:Wanderer, you obviously haven't grasped that MacT's are mostly bought by true soul surfers, who wouldn't been caught dead selling out and taking part in the competition circus.

I would have thought the simple sprays and muted branding of MacT's would be a giveaway, but you're obviously blinded by the glittering prize of competition.

Well done on your result, anyway. (Imagine how much better you could have done on a MacT!)
Ya gotta be in it to win it mate.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:19 pm

My boards are built for free-surfing (or if ya wannit to sound cheezy, "soul surfing") I enter contests for fun and to maintain the balance between the tail-surfers and the nose-riders. You don't do many mal comps do you? if you did you'd understand the comraderie which is shared at such events, as for this "circus" are you one of the clowns which used to perform there, maybe you've got the Snowy mixed up with the"Quiksilver Air Show", no lack of glitzy wankyness from the shortboard side of the camp is there!

Peace 8)

wayback
regular

Post by wayback » Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:09 pm

My sorry attempt at self-deprecatory humour clearly failed.
It's tough when you can't even get a laugh at your own expense!
I would have thought the line about subtle sprays and muted branding of MacT's would have been a dead giveaway.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:48 pm

Yeh... I wasn't quite sure about that, sometimes its hard to tell without facial expressions or tone of voice (the pitfalls of chatting on line) anyway sorry i flew off the handle a bit...

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:26 am

Longboarder - what are you doing riding Atolls?!?! They are the biggest " lets jump on the bandwagon" longboards I've seen for quite a while. Get a grip mate.

At least bob has been around for a while. I'd still love to get my hands on a board from him one day.
Although I must say that I hate what Warren Cornish & Ripcurl ( the owners i believe) do with the boards logos/graphics/advertising but they're in it for the $$ so thats what the're gunna do !

as for your commodore wagon wayback, I reckon you are only getting half the story there mate. I can understand that you love the thing but it probably uses as much fuel as most large 4wds and runs a lot more dirty as well. I too have a problem with the suburban 4wd monsters but a commodore is not the answer. AWD is a great way to make a car safer to drive ( Subaru, Audi, Volvo...) but there are too many people who think AWD = Landcruiser. Those things are soo big! Great in the country, shithouse in the city.
The new Holden motors ( you mean the V6 right?)sound good but they will still have a high level of output.

Go diesel or hybrid. When the government finally cleans up the local supplies of diesel fuel we should start seeing a lot more of the newer generation of diesel motors here. Clean & efficient.

bigfat1

Post by bigfat1 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:31 pm

if anyone has sold their soul to MacT and wants a Mercedes as well

I have a 1971, 250ce coupe for sale ........................I'll chuck in the soft racks.

Longboarder
regular

Post by Longboarder » Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:35 pm

i don't think there all about jumping on the band wagon, i have been riding them ever since josh ferris dropped stewart longboards and had atolls produced in newcastle. The logo doesn't mean much to me i just enjoy the boards produced at pacific dreams in newie.

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:51 pm

and then there are the MacT's that the "pro-AM" guys ride (I'm sure Dave Simons doesn't pay for any of his boards) and then there are the $900+ MacT boards you can buy off the rack from Barry Bennetts...no way thanks...

Longygrom wrote:Yer but the majoruty of surfers who have mcatavishes are kooks.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:54 pm

Troy_Cisco_Kid wrote: and then there are the $900+ MacT boards you can buy off the rack from Barry Bennetts...no way thanks...
mate if you could find a 900 buck mact from bb you would be a very lucky man, they would probably be closer to 1500 than 900 these days.... saw a beautiful model t 10' takayame in there once, thought to myself how nice it'd be to ride before seeing the price tag of 1500 and crushing the dream!

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:02 pm

theboat wrote:
Troy_Cisco_Kid wrote: and then there are the $900+ MacT boards you can buy off the rack from Barry Bennetts...no way thanks...
mate if you could find a 900 buck mact from bb you would be a very lucky man, they would probably be closer to 1500 than 900 these days.... saw a beautiful model t 10' takayame in there once, thought to myself how nice it'd be to ride before seeing the price tag of 1500 and crushing the dream!
there you go further to my point! That's F'en ridiculous . I 'd get 2 boards from a local shaper for that (i'd like to think)

qantas

Re: mctavish boards

Post by qantas » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:16 pm

Ive been surfing 40 years,30 on longboards Ive had custom,surftec,and now I had a mctavish slxF4 9,1,it surfed great all round and great as a quad but I only surfed it 3 times in 3 feet surf ,the deck compressed in the centre both sides of the stringer after only the first 45 minutes with bad heel and toe marks after 3 surfs.On the way out I eskied under 3ft of whitewater the board snapped in 2.Ive had 3 shapers look at it all agree the blank is far too soft or a dud , at $1250 its an expensive 4 hours surfing and comparded to a tuflite a tuflite is much stronger.The rep for the distributer looked at the board and told me its realiy a team rider board,thats why its so light so how about telling you that when you buy it,Mctavish boards are great but keep away from Asian made ones.thanks Paul