Is this a majority log riders forum?

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Are you a traditional longboard rider/ surfer

Yes- Vintage/ Retro equipment is mostly my chosen craft
57%
No- I mostly ride the common progressive boards
43%

Total votes: 14

Longygrom
barnacle

Is this a majority log riders forum?

Post by Longygrom » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:07 pm

Its one of the first times that traditional longboarders (from what has been posted in the last few months) seem to be the majority.

Who (out of viewers and posters of this forum) actually rides traditional equipment and logs in particular as their preffered board?

Should the 'mal riders' section be changed to log riders? That way the progressive or 'peformance' longboarders dont have to post stuff that the majority of the regular posters disagree with, such with the McTavish fireball debate.

Thoughts?

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:29 pm

So your saying do most posters/forum viewers ride 60's made 9foot 6 logs as their every day board ?
Really .....

the McT Fireball debate is for the off the rack surfer/shopper ..... yep that will stir things up

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:17 pm

I mean do poeple also ride replicas as well. Retro style...

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:37 pm

now now longy, i think you're going a bit far. "modern" or "high performance" mals are still the best tool for the average Joe through to the shortboard wanna-bes, just because you and me and others like us prefer to dangle our piggies over the nose doesnt mean that there's a right or wrong way to ride a longboard, the best you can do is lead by example, not all surfers have such a conviction for skill improvement and refinement. I myself have decided in recent times to completely divide my surfing, on the one half I've decided to resume shortboarding when the waves are really on and on the other I've decided that my next Mal will be a straight out noserider for when the waves are small, a sole purpose board, to get them piggies out there for as long and as often as possible, now I've just gotta figure out how to finance my new log???? When the surf is pumpin I aint gonna bother trying to surf my mal, I'll take the shorty, and likewise when the surf is small and it would be silly to take the shorty out, I'll take the Log= job done the best of both worlds!!

chrisb
Owl status

Post by chrisb » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:42 pm

I have surfed most types of craft and I read and regularly comment in most of the Forum subdivisions.

Other than the bodyboarders section which, as one would expect, appears to be dominated by puerile, sometimes semi-literate schoolkids, the other sections really do not in my opinion need subdivision. This is because they are of interest to all surfers, particularly if the topic's title is accurately described.

Besides, I tend to read the recently updated subjects that appear on the front page of the website.

Subdivision may be useful in order to perform a search but subdividing to the nth degree is not practical because of the overlapping nature of the topics.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:51 pm

Gee, I don't know guys. How many posts are happening in the mal section right now?
How many posts on nose riding can you make :D ?
How can you argue a case for traditional style logging if you only talk to yourselves?
I started fooling around with longboards myself about thirteen or fourteen years ago when I started a family. I thought I probably wouldn't be chasing as many waves as before and that I would probably enjoy the day to day crud more on a mal.
I used to borrow an old Farrelly model from a friend around the corner. It was his elder brothers who never used it. I still surfed my regular board most of the time. About this time another friend located an old pig board in a salvation army store for $20. I kept it at my place and used to surf it regularly. It was so waterlogged it had to stand outside the flat for an hour or two before it could be brought inside. Not suitable for car top travel when wet :shock: .
I bought a high performance board after this which was fun but when the surf had some size and length to it I found I was surfing from the tail and pumping the board since it had no finbox to adjust.
Since then I have moved progressively away from progressive styles but who knows whats next?
The last two boards I have bought specifically from watching other people surfing. Particularly average surfers who appear to be getting something abit extra out of their equipment.
I just wish the old pig board wasn't stuffed :cry:

plan b
regular

Post by plan b » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:34 am

variety is the spice of life

ive got a mal, fish and a thruster

ive riden skateboards for 12 years and snowboard whenever i can.

appreciating the diversity of surfing is part of the fun.

i bet each of us, whether we prefer logs or knee boards would get a buzz from pulling a barrel, so whats the big fuss ?

i busted a hand stand the other month, i thought that was pretty cool.

couldnt do that on my shortboard,

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:03 pm

maybe there should be a division called, 'open minded people who surf all sorts of equipment such as logs, fish, thrusters, eggs etc, to suit different conditions and moods'

tootr
Duke Status

Post by tootr » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:17 pm

oops.........forgot bonzers, stub vectors and discs.

p-a
Grommet

Post by p-a » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:40 pm

u guys should change the forum name from mal riders only to longboarders only mal is such a bad name the only person who calls a longboard a mal is shorty kooks and people who dont know what their talkng about

buzzy
barnacle

Post by buzzy » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:24 pm

I don't even ride a longboard, but have always felt this is the part of the forum where I most "fit". I think the kalakau kid also is more of a shortboard rider, albeit vintage inspired boardsm, and there are others.

I ride fishes and eggs and shortboards, and all are 6'8" or shorter.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:45 pm

whats wrong with calling them mals?
its a lot easier to say mal than longboard

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:27 pm

ill tell u wats wrong- its a bloody surf spot! Not a long surfboard

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:11 pm

I guess that explains why there aren't heaps of competitions and surfshops who refer to looooooooongboards as mals :?

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:11 pm

Longygrom wrote:ill tell u wats wrong- its a bloody surf spot! Not a long surfboard
What surf spot is "mals" ?
Or am I going to get that "secret" don't gothere type of response from the precious amongst ....

BTW , anyone see Channel 513 (Fuek TV) last night (Tuesday) with a bunch of semi Pro chicks surfing the Ments .... or those sectret spots were being showed with their surf break names on all their sections.
One pro hawaiian chick getting into a few and some toes on the nose at Burgers and Lances Right

did i mention i'll be there Oct 1 -12 ...woohooo

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:26 pm

Troy_Cisco_Kid wrote:
Longygrom wrote:ill tell u wats wrong- its a bloody surf spot! Not a long surfboard
Or am I going to get that "secret" don't gothere type of response from the precious amongst ....
mailbu?

but that doesn't mean you can't call a longboard a mal.
why are people so close minded

Troy_Cisco_Kid
regular

Post by Troy_Cisco_Kid » Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:30 pm

macca202 wrote:
Troy_Cisco_Kid wrote:
mailbu?

but that doesn't mean you can't call a longboard a mal.
why are people so close minded
der ...yeah its late aint it macca ? hahahhaaa
Gosh we talk about all the important things on here !