Whats Everyone Riding

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:18 pm

So he still surfs hey. I havent seen much of him since Noosa in 2002

whitey
regular

Post by whitey » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:21 pm

5'7 Mt Woodgee
5'8 Wave signature
(Soon to be) 5'9 FLC Surf
7'9 Freedom Longboard
9'2 Freedom Longboard
9'4 Freedom Longboard
Plus I personaly get to Quality test any Second Hand boards for http://www.freedomlongboards.com.au I am thier Webmaster and Quality control officer...... Sweet.
.Whitey.

itsallsurfing

Post by itsallsurfing » Sun Jun 20, 2004 2:21 am

6' 10" Ben McTavish "Caviar" which is basically a Sea of Joy style egg with a large single fin and FCS GX side biters.

7' 6" Southern Juice Surf [Port Campbell, Vic] semi gun for older and heavier {80kg +) surfers like me.

9' Town & Country "Puffer Fish" shaped by the "The Buzz". It has been in the pointy end of every 8' comp it has participated in. ...ie I've lent to a lot of good surfers from Warilla to Merimbula via Mollymook.

9'2" Town and Country "Beach Break" Model by Billy Tolhurst. My current main board for comps.

9' 5" Gleave Surf. It is the 'funnest' board I own. It came as as a 2 plus 1. It noserides great and turns slow but smooth. Not as zippy in punchy braschbreaks though. More of a pointbreak/fat wave board.

9' 6" Gleave Surf "Big Red" single fin. I am underwhelmed by this board. On any given day in the same conditions the 9' 5" Gleave Surf mentioned above goes better.

9' 9" Bill Wallace treasure. Its won the DV8 Old Mal Rally "Best Original" Show and Shine trophy in 2003. This year it took me to the same comp's repercharge final. I lent to Tom Avery for the 2003 Snowy and he rode it with distinction into the final. But other than old mal comps you'd leave it on your wall or in the shed.

10'2" BK Ulladulla pin tail malibu gun. It rules in big fat waves eg Golfcourse Reef and Tomaga Rivermouth. Hope to take it out in the Southside Malibu Spring Classic's weight for age this September.

PS: I'm 47 years old and weigh 90kg.

fifty seven

10'0 Wegener Model A - Single Fin (traditional

Post by fifty seven » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:03 am

Hi Morgan the Moon,

I noticed that you have a Wegener Model A. How does that ride? I have read a bit about Tom and his boards on his website, and was wondering how they transfered to the Central Coast / Sydney beaches.

Also, was it much more expensive than a trad board?

They look beautiful.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:50 pm

57, my favorite topic....

I like the Model A...a lot :D

It's a fibreglass board and not one of the paulownia boards that Wegeners becoming renowned for. As for price, it wasn't cheap, but still less than a new McT, or a surftech (but definitely more than an Atoll). Plus it comes with a beautiful tint job, hard wood to protect the nose and tail, heavy glass job and then theres the fin.....

Every time I head out, someone will always mention the fin - not always complimentary either. Had one guy suggest I cut it off and put in a fin box :roll:

I like the ride a lot, it's very traditional and it goes really well on the points. It's definitely a head high and under board. It turns really well once you get used to it, but it's a BIG single fin, right at the back, so it's not as responsive as a performance board, but I like the smooth turn as opposed to a sharp turn like a shortboard.

I can't really comment on Sydney waves - I've only taken it out once down there, and it was like a zoo. But up on the coast It's rare that I can't find somewhere to take it out. It's been out everywhere from MacMasters through to Soldiers and most of the beaches in between.
"Stay happy and everything will be just fine....." Jack Norris

whitey
regular

Morgan The Moon

Post by whitey » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:58 am

Morgan The Moon, How did you find it went at Avoca Point, I rearely ride mals out there because I ding them to easy there. Did it hold through the fast section?
.Whitey.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:50 pm

Platty,
Sorry mate, missed your request for pics of the "Woosley"
I have some and will post them as soon as I work out how to
Trev

Morgan The Moon
Local

Re: Morgan The Moon

Post by Morgan The Moon » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:03 pm

[quote="whitey"]Morgan The Moon, How did you find it went at Avoca Point, I rearely ride mals out there because I ding them to easy there. Did it hold through the fast section?
.Whitey.[/quote]

I've only had the joy of riding Avoca Point once, and it was tiny (about waist high).....but I've seen one guy out there stack it on a bigger day and end up in the pool with his board :shock: . I keep knocking the fin on the rocks at Blue Bay.

Lately at Avoca I've surfed the pines a bit, but I tend to go to North Shelley as much as I can - but to answer your question, the board seems to kick into another gear as you move up the board, kind of rewards you for walking it.
"Stay happy and everything will be just fine....." Jack Norris

the kalakau kid

Post by the kalakau kid » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:16 am

Longy ,

Glen Mcbay is a ripper, no doubt and has been off the contest circuit for a couple of years while doing full-time university. He tends to ride up the north end of the coast when he does get in the water.
His dad Mick is a great bloke too and may still be at the odd club day, i'm not sure as I don't go much all myself anymore. Go along & find out!

Both nice blokes & good surfers.

theboat
charger

Post by theboat » Wed Aug 25, 2004 2:34 pm

itsallsurfing wrote:
9'2" Town and Country "Beach Break" Model by Billy Tolhurst. My current main board for comps.
got the same board cept with a bear logo

RD

Post by RD » Wed Aug 25, 2004 3:14 pm

Found an old Mal under me Nan's house back in 1985, noticed some glass missing and surprised to find it was balsa, me old man reckons Gordon Woods gave it to my Grandfather in the 60's, it still has a 1965 Warringah Shire board rego sticker on the fin.

I want to get it restored, it is stripped bare at the moment, needs a little tidy up, and a glass job, anyone know of someone who is happy to work with balsa and can be trusted ? I am scared that it might "disappear" whilst in the shop ! My old man would kill me !

Currently on a Mick Dooley 9'1, originally had FCS but busted one out a few years ago and now just as happy, if not happier, with the single fin set-up.

cheers

rd

marcus_h
charger

Post by marcus_h » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:10 pm

1) Classic Malibu custom Jai Lee noserider 9'4", 23", 3", square tail, single fin. Great alround board, paddles unreal, and noserides like you wouldnt believe.

2) Beachbeat/Mctavish Jason Blewit Pro model 9'1" 22", 2 5/8", 2+1 fin, handles really well in the big stuff (indo proven), ride it like a shortboard

3) LK shortboard 6'4" 18" 2 and something thick, carbon fibre tail pads, fcs fins. havent ridden this in a while, was interested in shortboards but nothing compares to the mals. Would probably sell it if someone wanted it

freefilms
regular

Post by freefilms » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:42 am

several shortboards from 5'11" up to 6'5", shaped by yours truly

nice 7'7" pintail for big clean days, another personal shape

more than a few old singlefins in various states of disrepair and restoration, current favourite being a little 6'0" with soft stingers & a lovely plywood fin

9'4" Wegener, Tom makes the best longboards on the planet

also have just shaped a new 6'5" thruster for good surf & am currently whittling away at an old blank to bring forth a nuevo-singlefin around 7'0" or thereabouts (template borrowed & adapted from a mate's very rideable & very fun McGrigor)

i like to ride lots of different equipment, i believe in the right tool for the right job.

i never longboard with a leash because of function & it feels better & i shortboard leashless whenever i can.

i'm fortunate to be able to surf lots of different waves: ledges, beachies, points, rivermouths.

i'm blessed to be a surfer & i'm grateful.

freefilms
regular

Post by freefilms » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:06 pm

jgkjgkj

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Quiver

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:39 pm

Need to get this thread back on the front page.
6' DVS carbon fibre/epoxy twin flex keel rocket fish
6'2" Pipedreams moon tail, flex keel trippun fish
6'4" Southcoast DT slider with 2+1 set up
6'8" Outer island smart board
7' Rooster (Darrell Dell) single fin pintail
7'2" Miller egg with 2+1 set up
7'6" Cord by Chops Lascelle, diamond tail, single (planshape is same as a Mctavish fantastic plastic) with nose concave and v through the tail.
Tossing up whether to buy a 7'8" big boys thruster or a 10' pintail longboard with glassed in 2+1 for when its big and the 9' crew are being wave hogs.
Though a 9'4" Bic with a foot square learner plate (like you put on your car) drawn on could have a few pulling back for fear of having a "Bicanator" reshape their rails. LOL.

sean--
barnacle

Post by sean-- » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:35 pm

7'6" Miller Powerglide
9' Tak Slater model
9'6" Dain Thomas log
Looking at trying to get a second hand bigger shortboard around 6'10"and would like a fish.

AndyTheMan
Grommet

Post by AndyTheMan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:37 pm

During hte week I'm riding a 20' X 20' desk chair -
black material top woth black plastic bottom,
6 wheel for stability...

Thinking about upgrading to a new custom later this year......

(I am not an idiot!)

WANDERER
Owl status

Re: Quiver

Post by WANDERER » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:00 pm

Cuttlefish wrote: Tossing up whether to buy a 10' pintail longboard with glassed in 2+1 for when its big
I shoulda gone with glass-ins, seeing as Ive already got a small crack at the front of the fin box and the board has spent less than 15 hours in the water... then again Ive just decided to go down a size in side fins, from GX to GL, the gx's were pulling way too much rail down into the water to be practical to turn at any sort of speed. (I've also got a much different centre fin now to the one thats in the fotos below)

Still yet to have it in the waves I ordered it for, which for the record is bigger fuller beachies, goes pretty good in small to medium stuff though.