WANDERERS HOT to ROC RESTORATION

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

platty
regular

WANDERERS HOT to ROC RESTORATION

Post by platty » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:24 pm

These first three photos are of the board prior to restoration. Note the stressies on the bottom.

Yesterday I hit the stressies with a grinder to remove the filler and gloss. Then the bottom was sanded with 40 grit on an orbital sander. Particular attention was taken around the stressies. These were sanded right down to the cloth. A layer of 4oz will be applied over the stressies.platty.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:04 pm

What are the dimensions Platty?
I've got an old G&S Snake Bishop squaretail channelled single fin and a Red Sun pin tail I've been meaning to fix up for a while so I'd love to see how you go with that Hot Roc board.

Morgan The Moon
Local

Post by Morgan The Moon » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:59 pm

:shock: Those are some serious stressies. Looking forward to seeing how these come out.......

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:09 am

Beanpole wrote:What are the dimensions Platty?
I've got an old G&S Snake Bishop squaretail channelled single fin and a Red Sun pin tail I've been meaning to fix up for a while so I'd love to see how you go with that Hot Roc board.
7'4" x 21" (I'm pretty sure anyway... could be 20 wide?)

coastie
Grommet

Post by coastie » Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:12 pm

:idea: Ahhh Wands ... I was wondering who bought it off Ebay ... I was watching that one :wink: Love to see how it goes.
Platty, you should post some pics of the Hot Buttered ... crew: talk about a classy resto :!: You should see it.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:21 pm

The following four photos show.

The bottom sanded and some soft areas patched. The nose and the tips of the swallow tail have been reglassed.

Ready to be glassed. Two layers of 4oz lapped onto the deck. About 20mm onto the black covering the pinlines. No chance of sanding them off when preparing the deck for glossing.

Half an hour later. Glassed and waiting to be filler coated.

Bottom filler coated.

platty.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:16 am

lookin good dave, when will it be ready? not that I'm rushin ya, its just that it looks like youve already done the major stuff...

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:04 pm

Looking good. Hey wand, that fin base looks unusually large. Chuck another 3 inches on it and it would be a loggin fin!

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:01 pm

Longygrom wrote:Looking good. Hey wand, that fin base looks unusually large. Chuck another 3 inches on it and it would be a loggin fin!
yeh, but it is original, so it had to stay.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:53 pm

Wanderer. Things are going to slow down a bit now. The work to be done now is a little more intricate. The painting takes more time because you can so much then you have to leave it for a few days to cure.

What do you want to do with the legrope plug? It is in an odd place. About where you would place your back foot. platty.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:54 am

platty wrote:
What do you want to do with the legrope plug? It is in an odd place. About where you would place your back foot. platty.
Is it not back far enough to be out of the way? if not what do you suggest? move it a bit further back?

as for time, I'm not in a rush so take ya time.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:40 pm

I think it needs to be further back. Maybe remove it, repair the area and put a loop in on the tail. Not a roving loop but a piece of fin stock glassed on like a fin but shaped like a half tear drop. You may have seen them on my boards. platty.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:06 am

platty wrote:I think it needs to be further back. Maybe remove it, repair the area and put a loop in on the tail. Not a roving loop but a piece of fin stock glassed on like a fin but shaped like a half tear drop. You may have seen them on my boards. platty.
yep, do it.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:56 am

what are the chances of the board being finished by the 20/21st of August? I'm going down the south coast with some lads the following weekend and I'm keen to take the Hotroc along to show it off and give it a spin.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:15 pm

A little over four weeks. Should be finished by then.

I sanded the bottom ready for undercoat today. Legrope loop and old plug hole sanded and filler coated. Mask and undercoat bottom next week.
platty.

platty
regular

Post by platty » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:37 pm

Ok.These shots show the bottom and rails undercoated and the legrope loop glassed on. The undercoat will be left until next week to cure. Then the colour coat can bee sprayed. You can also see where the old legrope plug use to be.

The Hot Roc logo on the bottom will be masked of as will the pinline on the deck and stringer. The reason the above were not close masked for the undercoat is. When the edge of the colour coat is sanded off after painting it sometimes reveals the undercoat. Platty.

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:47 pm

wow! Thats looking very nice at the moment Platty. Wands should be stoked.