Injuries from longboarding

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Longygrom
barnacle

Injuries from longboarding

Post by Longygrom » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:39 pm

I have just recently broken my foot in a couple of places and cant surf for 6-8 weeks. I did this skating to get lunch while at a surf comp. Although it wasnt surf related, it brought me to think about if there is anyone who has ever been badly injured BY SURFING a longboard, not getting hit by one.

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:52 pm

that sucks about your foot.
ive been hit in the hip bone by a hawains longboard without a damn leash. Was pretty hard so i was lucky to not chip it. Just an ugly bruise

And i think i was allowed to say that story because i was sitting on my own rented mal at the time.

WANDERER
Owl status

Post by WANDERER » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:02 am

you out of the Snowy then lad?

Mate i didn't break anything but i did everything but... torn ligament, torn muscle, pinched cartiledge was out of the water for about 6-8 weeks and then there was a lot of physio and a slow rehab process... my tip to you is get yar old man to front up the cash for physio, injuries like this, if they aren't rehabilitated properly can leave you damaged for life, the physio will make sure that the injury recovers as close to 100% as possible, even if you have only recently done the injury, check in with a physio, sometimes the early the better... possibly also check in with Bocco, he's a podiatrist... feet are his speciality... get well soon chump!

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Fri Jun 03, 2005 11:25 am

yep out of the snowy, state and aussies. Also i miss my last palmy boardriders 4 the year, and i only needed like a 3rd to win

Freshie Boy
regular

Post by Freshie Boy » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:40 am

lawrence apparently tore the sole off his foot a few weeks back when i came home for the first swell of these 3 about 3 or 4 weeks ago. fuked a floater, put his foot through the deck or rail and tore his sole off. he had to get carried home and up he beach but i dont know what happened after that cause i never saw him when i came down. bad news about your foot, no snowy for you. and i bet this year they'll have decent conditions ie over 1ft and not a gale force onshore, like they've had for the last 4 years!

Was thinkin of comin down for the snowy but a brothers gotta study for his uni exams ay matt. would have been fun. these last 3 swells that have come, shit i have had fun. first one i caught the plane down the 19th may and surfed box head cause i saw it from the plane and it was bullshit. but yeh and the other two i've been surfin coffs up to goldy cause thats my range now from yamba where im livin now. spookies has been really good. surfed arrawarra the other week it was a solid 10-12 and i rode my old mark richards twinnie, it went off it is one of the fastest boards i have ever ridden! but yeh not comin down for snowy havent ridden a longboard since mid may down home in syd! been shortboarding a lot a coffs and yamba met Cansdell and Laurie Towner, pretty cool dude so been hanging with them a little. hope your foot gets better matty. hehe i bet you were doin somethin stupid on your skatie, trying to impress everyone like you usually do. did you go to crescent? met heaps of crew makin the journ back up the coast at coffs and yamba.

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:18 am

i wasnt ridding this beast of a thing otherwise known as a "mal" i was having a late session at longy, and this mal took off on a wave comming strait at me i coudnt get out of his way and i duck dived i got under him but then i felt the fin cut through my foot.....

he didnt apologise and i was on the beach for a hour i coudnt move,,, it had cut through my flipper and half an inch through my foot.... i limped up the beach and called my mum.....

i coudnt walk for a week

macca202
Harry the Hat

Post by macca202 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:16 am

Mr_momo_32 wrote:i limped up the beach and called my mum.....
:lol:

halfy
Local
Location: Don't you think you've had a little too much to drink

Post by halfy » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:55 am

yer fin chops are nasty bastards. prone to infections as well

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:58 pm

haha ollie, ur not old enough to be on this site are u?

Mr_momo_32
Local

Post by Mr_momo_32 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:39 pm

shut up matt......

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Mal Related Injuries

Post by Shaunm » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:40 pm

HI,
I broke my nose in a mishap paddling out for my first wave @ Shelley on the Central Coast NSW (copped my own board in the face) and did my medial ligament in my left knee trying to avoid a swimmer at Freshie and broke a couple of ribs wiping out and landing on the sand bank @ low tide @ Freshie.
Shaun

Longygrom
barnacle

Post by Longygrom » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:55 pm

Wow thats pretty heavy stuff. How did u find getting in from the water? Anyone help you pr did you struggle with your board

Shaunm
Snowy McAllister

Post by Shaunm » Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:37 pm

A couple of very funny gromets said @ Shelley when I was cleaning up the blood - "be careful it's dangerous out there" A guy in his 30's told me where the nearest medical centre was that was open on the coast on Good Friday. I tried to claim stigmatarism.
Freshie no-one noticed so I floated in and limped up the beach Lucky I was on my daughters NSP or it would have been a snapped board as well
Never confuse ambition with ability