Gary McNeill

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Re: Gary McNeill

Post by Beerfan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:18 pm

JaM71 wrote:
Beerfan wrote:What do you mean full bells n whistles?
Stringerless carbon with fully cosmic art on the deck, looks great & IMO helps prevent horrendous deck denting (still dents a bit tho)
What's the weight difference? Lighter?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:47 pm

A bit lighter than PU but not ridiculously lighter, I am not a fan of ultra light weight boards. My TT has a nice "balance" & feels good under the arm. Have a fondle of Batoes cv2 I believe u guys are practically neighbours, this will give u an idea. You can then just size it to your needs, cuttlefish rode a gorilla size cv2 & it worked for him
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Ok cool, yeah ultra lite for the sake of it is no good but I do like surfing lively boards that last more than 6 months lol. JDs are a good example. I'm tempted by the TT but in all honesty hardly surf at the moment. Once or twice a month at best so would be wasted on me at the moment. See how I'm going by summers end, there's only so much squatting and deadlifting I can do

He's got a few huh?!
Surprised he bought a puddle jumper though, just doesn't seem like a nice fit considering the other boards he rides. Sorry batoes!

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:39 pm

JaM71 wrote:
Beerfan wrote:What do you mean full bells n whistles?
Stringerless carbon with fully cosmic art on the deck, looks great & IMO helps prevent horrendous deck denting (still dents a bit tho)
The worst deck compressions I've ever seen were on a DVS fish that had carbon fibre on the deck. I think the heat from the black deck and the not-as-strong-as-you-think carbon on the deck contributed.

If you look at the charts below you can see carbon fibre is only slightly stronger than glass fibre in compression, but it is much stronger than glass in tension, He could save you money (and heat damage) by just putting it on the bottom of the board

“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Beerfan wrote:Ok cool, yeah ultra lite for the sake of it is no good but I do like surfing lively boards that last more than 6 months lol. JDs are a good example. I'm tempted by the TT but in all honesty hardly surf at the moment. Once or twice a month at best so would be wasted on me at the moment. See how I'm going by summers end, there's only so much squatting and deadlifting I can do

He's got a few huh?!
Surprised he bought a puddle jumper though, just doesn't seem like a nice fit considering the other boards he rides. Sorry batoes!
Batoes has dumped his soulful hipster inner self & gone all WCT ripper style, got a tail pad & everything. He'll only post in the shortboard forum now so will never read this

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:49 pm

JaM71 wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Ok cool, yeah ultra lite for the sake of it is no good but I do like surfing lively boards that last more than 6 months lol. JDs are a good example. I'm tempted by the TT but in all honesty hardly surf at the moment. Once or twice a month at best so would be wasted on me at the moment. See how I'm going by summers end, there's only so much squatting and deadlifting I can do

He's got a few huh?!
Batoes has dumped his soulful hipster inner self & gone all WCT ripper style, got a tail pad & everything. He'll only post in the shortboard forum now so will never read this

Damn you all to hell !!!!!

I turned 40 and my beloved thought she was doing the right thing. <:
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:02 pm

batoes wrote:
JaM71 wrote:

He's got a few huh?!

Damn you all to hell !!!!!

I turned 40 and my beloved thought she was doing the right thing. <:
I am sure that in time you & your beloved will both look back & laugh about this unfortunate episode

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Interesting graph cranked, I ve spoken to dvs a couple of times about carbon. His opinion is that those carbon stripes around the tail etc do bugger all, for the carbon fibre to have any positive influence the board should be totally carbon. However, as u mentioned, not the best choice for the hot Aussie sun. Gary's boards have carbon rails & little bit on the bottom. This seems to work & has better flex memory than a standard PU, it still feels as lively as the day I got it.
I have never ridden a full carbon fibre board so cannot compare. I had a diverse dynacore a few years ago & that was super strong & felt good. I d love to try a JD board, they look quality.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:08 am

He's got a few huh?!

You were so right Beery - 40th birthday present and not a good board...i'll not be venturing back into mainstream boards ever again. Complete and utter ripoff.

On a positive note, I did grab a second hand RTT with the money i made off the pj. It's a little bit bigger than i would have liked, but with a bad shoulder and less time in the water, a bit more foam and length is a welcome addition. It is stringered too, but still has carbon. Certainly heavier than my CV2 which is stringerless epoxy. Looking forward to tomorrow morning!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:42 am

What up with the Lost Batoe? We ride simiar boards so interested to hear. I'm right off my standard shortboards right now and am living on my Quartet.

Side note, all the over 30 set with their HPS starting to hit the water. Nightmare.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:21 pm

batoes wrote:

He's got a few huh?!

You were so right Beery - 40th birthday present and not a good board...i'll not be venturing back into mainstream boards ever again. Complete and utter ripoff.

On a positive note, I did grab a second hand RTT with the money i made off the pj. It's a little bit bigger than i would have liked, but with a bad shoulder and less time in the water, a bit more foam and length is a welcome addition. It is stringered too, but still has carbon. Certainly heavier than my CV2 which is stringerless epoxy. Looking forward to tomorrow morning!
Definately keen to hear a ride report mate. I got out twice last week, first time in forever, feels good. Those little, fun as schitt boards make the infrequent surf time enjoyable. That tt would be good in the same conditions as your MBLV wouldn't it?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Beerfan wrote:
batoes wrote:

He's got a few huh?!

Definately keen to hear a ride report mate. I got out twice last week, first time in forever, feels good. Those little, fun as schitt boards make the infrequent surf time enjoyable. That tt would be good in the same conditions as your MBLV wouldn't it?
Yes - i'd say pretty similar. Hoping the TT has a bit more omf in the conditions that need more rider input. The mlv is damn fun, especially in the small stuff at mystics, if there's some push. But, when the waves are a tad fuller and lack the push, you are at the mercy of getting those first few turns right, because if you don't - sections are hard to make.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:13 pm

Small wide keel fish ( you got the sea shepherds? ) should be super fun in those waves. Surfed the jd keel fish at waist high down the farm when I had it. Fun fun fun

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:01 pm

Beerfan wrote:Small wide keel fish ( you got the sea shepherds? ) should be super fun in those waves. Surfed the jd keel fish at waist high down the farm when I had it. Fun fun fun
it would be! AMT fins - no experience with twins without keels - so it should be interesting. Hopefully there will be something in the morn.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:09 pm

Not sure what ATM fins are but if you have twin tab fin plugs I've got Indo fins fcs controllers and also shapers twins. Bought some fcs fk2 keels last week. Should be here by now but haven't heard boo since I placed the order so they might never get here lol

I can't get out tomorrow morning so there's bound to be something nice :)

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:54 am

Beerfan wrote:Not sure what ATM fins are but if you have twin tab fin plugs I've got Indo fins fcs controllers and also shapers twins. Bought some fcs fk2 keels last week. Should be here by now but haven't heard boo since I placed the order so they might never get here lol

i missed Sunday - which from a few reports, was magic. Saturday was rubbish, but the board was fun. I am going to buy a few sets of fins - including some keels just to see what they all feel like. This is my first twin fin in seven years.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:16 am

Look forward to hearing your thoughts after a few surfs on the TT Batoes, also on AMT's v Aipas.......& of course, the Lost PJ v TT!

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:54 pm

batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Not sure what ATM fins are but if you have twin tab fin plugs I've got Indo fins fcs controllers and also shapers twins. Bought some fcs fk2 keels last week. Should be here by now but haven't heard boo since I placed the order so they might never get here lol

i missed Sunday - which from a few reports, was magic. Saturday was rubbish, but the board was fun. I am going to buy a few sets of fins - including some keels just to see what they all feel like. This is my first twin fin in seven years.
You'll disappear down the fin swap rabbit hole, you know that right?!.