Gary McNeill

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

batoes
charger

Re: Gary McNeill

Post by batoes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Beerfan wrote:
batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
Davros wrote:The boards are refined enough you could use a surform and grades of sand paper. Takes longer but cuts down on mistakes. I know you have made a few boards so let us know if you kick off again and report progress.

Will do mate. With the surfblanks ones, at least I know midget has designed them, so they should work fine.
I just checked the blanks on their site - they do look good. So you shape the rails and the concaves?

I haven't checked but I'm sure the machine shapes just need final sanding then glassing. Like, smooth out the machine marks, that's it. Educated guess but I also think they have the bottom shaped cut in.

If I find out I'll let you know. I have glassing stands you can borrow if you get keen. Just helped do a 9'6", went well
Wow - that could be a fun summer project maybe?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:14 pm

Davros wrote:I pretty much took thickness out, nose, tail, plan shape and concaves and changed the rocker a bit
How did you change the rocker Dav - just chop some nose and tail off?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:25 pm

And then took out a shit load of foam

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:42 pm

batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
Davros wrote:The boards are refined enough you could use a surform and grades of sand paper. Takes longer but cuts down on mistakes. I know you have made a few boards so let us know if you kick off again and report progress.

Will do mate. With the surfblanks ones, at least I know midget has designed them, so they should work fine.
I just checked the blanks on their site - they do look good. So you shape the rails and the concaves?

I haven't checked but I'm sure the machine shapes just need final sanding then glassing. Like, smooth out the machine marks, that's it. Educated guess but I also think they have the bottom shaped cut in.

If I find out I'll let you know. I have glassing stands you can borrow if you get keen. Just helped do a 9'6", went well
Wow - that could be a fun summer project maybe?
Definately.

I'll send them an email and find out and report back.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue May 03, 2016 3:50 pm

Cv2 with a twin set up on the gumtree....

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/gymea/su ... 1111692102
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 03, 2016 4:23 pm

Massive though. 21" I could handle but 22" is a bit too wide

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue May 03, 2016 4:48 pm

If I didnt have one of his twins I would get it.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue May 03, 2016 5:42 pm

6"2 x 22 x 3 1/4 . you'd wanna be big or it'd surf like a balloon
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:18 pm

It's second hand for a reason
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Tue May 03, 2016 9:00 pm

Yeah true, maybe if it was a 6'0

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Tue May 03, 2016 9:36 pm

I've got a 7'2" x 22" x 3&1/4" cv2 that has rails so voluminous, so thick and meaty the mere sight of them would make old man McCoy green with envy to his core.
This veritable barge floats me with 1/2 dry thighs with the board level in the water.
Board was shaped for an old, heavy longboarder with delusions of riding a shorter board again.
If I'd seen this board in the flesh before I bought it then I wouldn't have dared to buy it. I had it freighted up from Adelaide.
Last time I rode a board near these dimensions was a McTavish Sumo. That board felt so vague underfoot with virtually no feeedback to what I was doing on a wave as I turned it. The cv2 is the opposite with still good feel under foot despite its prodigious foam. This is when I realised what a talented shaper Gaz is and here's the kicker...that fugger is still a load of fun and can ride it when its small or even on solid point surf. It turns easily due to its constant rocker curve and has a great gas peddle underfoot. I'm not out there trying to impress imaginary WSL judges so its fish lines as its designed to be.
I'm not going to ride it where there's any reasonable amount of duckdiving required as its just going to be a flogging but in saying that I also wouldn't bother trying to take an unweildy longboard out in the same conditions.
If only the rest of the crew where I surf would also be so scared of foam they'd be like sea turtles sticking their heads up every few minutes to take a breath and there'd be no place for it in my quiver.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed May 04, 2016 6:50 am

I was thinking that teinny be fun for small clean days... Plenty float but like you say, Gary knows what he's doing so would still perform like you would want a fish to.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 04, 2016 7:56 am

Now i really want one haha

xe
regular

Post by xe » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:14 pm

I've got a 6'6 entity round tail step up goes good in 2-8ft (was surprised how well it went in 2ft surf) ordered it as it was the end of summer 2015 and was originally going to get the CV2 @ 5'8-5'10

How are your McNeil small-med wave sleds going some months on? I have my eye on a CV2 - love quads - but really like to try that full body channel and a set of twins - twin turbo machine for the approaching summer.
"I'm just a surfer who wanted to build something that would allow me to surf longer"
Jack O'Neill

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:28 pm

xe wrote:I've got a 6'6 entity round tail step up goes good in 2-8ft (was surprised how well it went in 2ft surf) ordered it as it was the end of summer 2015 and was originally going to get the CV2 @ 5'8-5'10

How are your McNeil small-med wave sleds going some months on? I have my eye on a CV2 - love quads - but really like to try that full body channel and a set of twins - twin turbo machine for the approaching summer.
CV2 is a quality board. It doesn't grovel though, and can be wave specific. I think it likes 2ft -4ft rip bowls the best. Flatter face waves are okay, but i think there are better options. Have stuffed around with fins a bit lately, but have gone back to the rastas. I think i could be talked into a RTT as a daily driver over summer - but just got a puddle jumper and so far - it sucks.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:16 am

I still have my TT which is now 2 1/2 years old. I haven't ridden it much over winter but will ride more between now & Xmas. Fast & loose in weaker, peaky Spring conditions.

The board has held up really well, I suggest getting the bells & whistles, don't deny yourself, go for the full experience.....the deck will hold up better. Those pretty designs do actually help to limit heel denting in comparison to a straight PU
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:57 am

What do you mean full bells n whistles?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:05 pm

Beerfan wrote:What do you mean full bells n whistles?
Stringerless carbon with fully cosmic art on the deck, looks great & IMO helps prevent horrendous deck denting (still dents a bit tho)
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"