Gary McNeill

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Gary McNeill

Post by Davros » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:12 pm

I heard the DVS Wasp is as loose as a goose.....true?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:40 pm

Tis true.
Especially with the right fin combos.
Run mine with CI twins and Indo controller rears for sub 4'.
4' plus use switchblade quad set.
After 5' I'm picking something else.
Only a rat can win the rat race.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:47 am

Cuttlefish wrote:That's my mini light vehicle that I'm talking about selling.
My cv2 is 6'6".

Yeah, the MLV, 5'10" ?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:04 am

5'10" x 21&3/4" x 2&5/8"

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:28 am

CV2'd it this morning in some sucky overhead conditions. Took me a few waves to get back into 'performance' foil surfing, but had a blast. I forgot how much i like this board.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:04 am

batoes wrote:CV2'd it this morning in some sucky overhead conditions. Took me a few waves to get back into 'performance' foil surfing, but had a blast. I forgot how much i like this board.
Haha, same with me the other week. Hadnt ridden it in a short while and forgot just how bloody good it is.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Gary just chucked up a bunch of nice seconds on his instgram!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:46 pm

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:46 am

That short and curvy with 2 fins you'd need to be rasta to surf that thing well

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:50 am

Still tempted by a cv2. Though I've been checking out midgets machine shaped blanks too. There's a stubbie and an egg that'd both go really well I reckon.

Hurry up tax time !

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:54 am

Cuttlefish wrote:This thing is different.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gary-McNeill ... SwYmZXIEw9
it sure is. Wonder how the rails are on that thing.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:22 am

Beerfan wrote:Still tempted by a cv2. Though I've been checking out midgets machine shaped blanks too. There's a stubbie and an egg that'd both go really well I reckon.

Hurry up tax time !
A while back Midget had some rockered mid length blanks on sale. Bought one sawed about 1.5 foot off it and started plowing away. Not starting from scratch but was a lot of fun and the board works great (flatter end to end)

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:09 am

Davros wrote:
Beerfan wrote:Still tempted by a cv2. Though I've been checking out midgets machine shaped blanks too. There's a stubbie and an egg that'd both go really well I reckon.

Hurry up tax time !
A while back Midget had some rockered mid length blanks on sale. Bought one sawed about 1.5 foot off it and started plowing away. Not starting from scratch but was a lot of fun and the board works great (flatter end to end)

Yeah it's fun huh?!. Im hopeless with the planer but can glass ok so the pre machined boards look good. Not sure on the ethics but midget gets my money either way so? I'm guessing he uses old stock for the machine shapes so it's probably a good business decision for him.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:35 am

The boards are refined enough you could use a surform and grades of sand paper. Takes longer but cuts down on mistakes. I know you have made a few boards so let us know if you kick off again and report progress.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:47 am

Davros wrote:The boards are refined enough you could use a surform and grades of sand paper. Takes longer but cuts down on mistakes. I know you have made a few boards so let us know if you kick off again and report progress.

Will do mate. With the surfblanks ones, at least I know midget has designed them, so they should work fine.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:25 pm

Beerfan wrote:
Davros wrote:The boards are refined enough you could use a surform and grades of sand paper. Takes longer but cuts down on mistakes. I know you have made a few boards so let us know if you kick off again and report progress.

Will do mate. With the surfblanks ones, at least I know midget has designed them, so they should work fine.
I just checked the blanks on their site - they do look good. So you shape the rails and the concaves?
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:40 pm

batoes wrote:
Beerfan wrote:

I just checked the blanks on their site - they do look good. So you shape the rails and the concaves?

I haven't checked but I'm sure the machine shapes just need final sanding then glassing. Like, smooth out the machine marks, that's it. Educated guess but I also think they have the bottom shaped cut in.

If I find out I'll let you know. I have glassing stands you can borrow if you get keen. Just helped do a 9'6", went well

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:46 pm

I pretty much took thickness out, nose, tail, plan shape and concaves and changed the rocker a bit