Gary McNeill

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JaM71
charger

Re: Gary McNeill

Post by JaM71 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:56 pm

Davros wrote:Will do mate..I sold my Wasp after two rides as it had too much beef..dropped a 100 bucks. I would get a Wasp in sub 6ft, my usual board is 6'2 or 6'4. If I didn't have my Quartet I would have gotten a CV2 but I needed a better wave board for Autumn/Winter and Gary gave me some great advice on the Entity in that its quite refined and has a lot taken out down to the rail with a doomed deck, so don't be shy getting a bit in it. Think I ended up with about 40 litres...
You can't go wrong with the entity/alien it's a proven design at least 10 years old. If you like big fins, are thinking of running it as a quad and its futures, they re pricey but the elevons are gold.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:58 pm

JaM71 wrote:Drailed, what is the width & thickness of your russ short?
20.5 wide, 2.5 thick

Very good condition.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:03 pm

Drailed wrote:
JaM71 wrote:Drailed, what is the width & thickness of your russ short?
20.5 wide, 2.5 thick

Very good condition.
I am interested and just sent you a message
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Ok mate, message hasnt arrived yet but I will look out for it.

Edit: got it and replied Jam.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:08 pm

Surfed the Entity this week in this swell. Not big stuff but 4/5 ft. A really easy board to surf for a board with medium modern rocker (my boards have low rockers) Could have prolly gone a little less foam from 40 down to 38/37 (100 kilos) but will be good with a full steamer on come Winter. Also using M7 fronts and shapers stealth rears, gonna put some M5 fronts on tomorrow. Gary said medium size fronts all conditions (forgot to say Jam using FCS). To early to say I love it but I really enjoyed it as an all rounder this week and geez it can take a drop with aplomb. Keeper for sure as a decent wave board.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:24 am

Drailed wrote:Thinking of selling my 6'7 russ short and getting gary mcneil entity semi pin for bigger days
I'd support this as a purchase for decent waves with some juice. Stable and turns pretty easily but a little stiff at the back for the 2ft stuff IMHO.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:56 pm

Ok changed front fins to plastic M5 and it has loosened the Entity right up. Much more fun.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:33 pm

anyone ridden a rounded pintail entity quad ? it's looking like a good all-rounder option for average-to-good waves and also as a decent option for a step-up shorty, all for only $595 (or $969 with trippy graphics)

i fell out of love with quads a few years back, but they look pretty tasty.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:35 pm

As mentioned I have the swallow....a thumbs up as an all rounder.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:45 pm

how does it go surfing top-to-bottom lines tight in the pocket? as i'm hesitant about quads, as i'd spent about 3 years surfing quads almost 100% of the time. found them fast-as-hell down the line, with heaps of drive, but eventually realised that they also seemed to lack that accurate on-point pivot-feel of the thruster. too much cutting back, and not enough top-to-bottom. but with the rounded pin option that might help give the board more of a pivotal feel and inclination for more in-the-pocket vertical lines.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Reckon youre pretty spot on. It's a performance fish (oxy moron?), wide point forward with a performance rocker and rail. Heaps of lift with the single concave up front. Still gets the nose up above the lip but it's nice figure 8's etc that makes it fun....actually not as fast as my other boards but I rode it in 4-6ft a few times and it has a lot of control and you could dig those low rails in juice, snake and flow are the words that come to mind. Lost and regained the fins a few times on cutties which was fun in the medium sized waves, can really lay the board over onto a rail.

But I think what you described is close. If you wanted to go vert in the pocket with ease there are other boards to do that. A psillakis quad fish comparison crossed my mind but that has a flatter rocker all up. I like the Entity a bit better as you can do a bit more in a range of waves.

For the record he hasn't altered the design e.g. Flattened the entry rocker for an old guy etc.., it's his bog standard model.

But an Entity in tight round tail in powerful waves makes sense but not for tight arc surfing IMHO however what the fk do I know.
Last edited by Davros on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:51 pm

Starting to really enjoy this board. Sits on a steep face nicely.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Davros wrote:Ok changed front fins to plastic M5 and it has loosened the Entity right up. Much more fun.
Is that the fin size, change to plastic, or both, that has loosened it up Davros?

And I assume you don't actually have plastic fins, they are pretty rare, most are chopped up glass fibre in epoxy resin: super tough compared to glass and nearly as stiff as traditional glass. I use them about half the time even though I have plenty of glass fins
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:33 pm

Probably just the fin size I reckon, well maybe. I used an M7 size in some swanky material the other day and the turns felt nice but a lot more predictable which would make sense. I was also wondering if the standard M5 plastics have a greater cant than some of the other models in expensive material, the board, which is mid point forward may like that.

I used to have a Mick Mackie that was so stiff to ride with expensive fins, I'd whack on the same size plastic fins and it came alive, but of course I cannot testify that the rake, cant, base etc. were identical but geez I'm not convinced that fin materials need to be expensive.

So basically I'm riding $545 new board with the shitiest fins you can get and it's pretty damn good.

Edit: not plastic then just the cheap M series material

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Davros wrote: I used to have a Mick Mackie that was so stiff to ride with expensive fins, I'd whack on the same size plastic fins and it came alive, but of course I cannot testify that the rake, cant, base etc. were identical but geez I'm not convinced that fin materials need to be expensive.
A similar thing happens to me, sometimes I think the flexible fins are better, that is more alive, slingshot out of a turn, etc, but I'm not sure if its the fins or just different circumstances, or I'm imagining it.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 16, 2017 7:02 am

Got drunk and ordered a CV2.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Tue May 16, 2017 7:25 am

Davros wrote:Got drunk and ordered a CV2.
Lol! Dims?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 16, 2017 8:34 am

6'2 x 20 1/2 x 2 3/4