Non standard longboards, show them here

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beerfan

Non standard longboards, show them here

Post by Beerfan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:27 pm

So I recently got rid of my 9'1". My teeny tiny JD has completely replaced it in microscopic waves. I never wanted to ride it anymore, but one of the things with it was, it was a generic longboard. At 5'9" x 76-77kg I don't really need 9' x 23" x 3". Sure it was fun in tiny days, but even then, it was too big.

I don't plan on another longboard yet, but I'm the future i think I'll definately come back to them. It may only get surfed 4-5 times a year, but that glide and trim is a thing of beauty, especially when certain banks form in certain times of the year. I reckon I could comfortably get away with low 8' x 21 1/2 x 2 3/4 in a longboard, and that's without the big round nose ( don't like them personally ). Single fin only. Outerislands supermal could be a goer

Anyone got a non standard longboard they want to share pics of ??

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Re: Non standard longboards, show them here

Post by Drailed » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:01 pm

I just got a 8 x 22 x 2 3/4 single fin which gives me immense joy on small lined up days.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:25 pm

:-D-: So it's a mini mal thread then ??
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Haha if you want, I'm not against them at all. My upcoming jd is 7'4" x 21" :). Not really a longboard though

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Drailed wrote:I just got a 8 x 22 x 2 3/4 single fin which gives me immense joy on small lined up days.

Any chance of a pic?

MrMik
regular

Post by MrMik » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:07 pm

Here is a pic of my quiver in 1998.

The longboard is a 9'0 Nigel Beckham Twin Fin. It was a really fun board for a beginner. I snapped it twice and had it fixed twice, that's how the deck grip artwork developed.
Similar to this board, just shorter: http://www.soulsurf.com.au/recently-sol ... ard-online
Quiver 1998.jpg
Quiver 1998.jpg (71.93 KiB) Viewed 8238 times

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:30 pm

Sniff wrote:

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:32 pm

MrMik wrote:9'0 Nigel Beckham Twin Fin.
he shapes some wild boards ! i recently had a 6'9 twin fin of his. not a longboard template though, more of a high-performance shortboard planshape. it was a blast. a diamond tail with a single channel running out through the tail section. ended up selling it though, as it was a bit too beefy for me.

http://forum.realsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29891
Sniff wrote:

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:44 am

Full hipster single fin - ryan lovelace vbowls. 7'11, 23, 3 - has a crazy foil. Really thin nose - hence no nose riding at all...But incredible speed in anything from ankle to chest high. It's stringerless, so i don't go any bigger than that. I've often contemplated selling or swapping for a dedicated nose-rider...

Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:15 am

Hey mate, thats crazy wide and thick. Is it a bitch to ride? I've heard those hull type boards can be tricky to ride.

How's the farm lately? Pk has had good banks for a while, surprisingly haha. Before my latest op I had a few good surfs out there.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:09 am

How is the v bowls to ride. I saw one in a shop yesterday and it looked like it had really pinched rails - tricky.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:25 am

Beerfan wrote:Hey mate, thats crazy wide and thick. Is it a bitch to ride? I've heard those hull type boards can be tricky to ride.

How's the farm lately? Pk has had good banks for a while, surprisingly haha. Before my latest op I had a few good surfs out there.
Farm has been hit and miss all summer long...i'm thankful to put the summer boards away tbh. I think the vbowls is less hullish than most full-on hull boards - as it is so tail driven. It usually takes a few waves to find my feet and i've always got to remember not to scoot down to the nose, which at times, doesn't feel natural (as in riding such a large board from the tail). The dims seem wide and thick - but it's really foiled out - as Drailed mentions below - the rails are thin. You can rip a solid turn off the tail. Crazy fast, too. But - i'm sure there are logs that ride crazy fast and you can ride from the nose.
Drailed - the hardest thing about the vbowls is how flat the rocker is. You really can't get up in the middle - you've gotta start on the tail, in pretty much any sort of wave. It's a different ride, that's for sure.
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:42 am

Yeah, glad I didnt get one... too tricky for how often I be riding it. Seen some crazy beautiful footage of them being ridden though.....by good surfers I might add.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:15 am

I don't see the appeal of riding from the nose. I like to get forward and trim on bigger boards, for sure, one of the best things about them, but never seriously wanted to get toes over. Well, maybe for a short while there.

I had a 7'10" that wasn't a mccoy but had a nuggetesque plan shape, slightly wider tail than nose and wide point slightly behind centre. Nose was 15" but man, if you got up front, around a foot back from the nose it would trim on nothing, and trim all the way to the beach on a teeny unbroken wave as a single fin. Sort of changed my thinking about having to have a big wide round nose for trim and glide.

Matty E

Post by Matty E » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:47 pm

This is my "longboard", a 7'10 late 60's Shane v-bottom. It's probably my favourite board actually, to me it feels kind of like surfing on the moon.
shane2.jpg
(77.13 KiB) Not downloaded yet
shane.jpg
(55.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet

damo666
regular

Post by damo666 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:58 pm

This is, or was :cry: my Frank Latta/Skipp longboard (8'6"x 22 x 2 1/2).

Obviously not a noserider but it had beautiful, fine shortboard like rails, big double concaves, lots of rocker and just loved to turn.

Such a fast board that worked well from 1 foot dribble to well overhead. Easily the best board I have owned, and I have had a few!!
Sadly it died last year. I'll be getting another shaped just the same as soon as I can afford.

pirate_agenda
regular

Post by pirate_agenda » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:23 pm

that looks more like a collapsed blank than intentional deep doubles.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:13 pm

Damo, I have a Latta shaped Skipp as well - 9'1 x 22 1/2 x 2 5/8. Looks like less rocker than yours but has the same fined out rails and narrower than usual nose.

I contacted the Skipp guys and they told me it was made in 1994, but apart from a rail crack (repaired) it looks like new, no pressure dings or anything. Weighs a ton tho! I bought it second hand to learn on and don't use it much anymore, but now and then pull it out when its tiny tiny and there is actually a wave breaking (rare, since if its small then its usually nothing).

Pics not the greatest

board 1.jpg
(73.58 KiB) Not downloaded yet
board.jpg
(86.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet