Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Skipper
Duke Status

Re: Midlengths

Post by Skipper » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:02 pm

like the man says.."chill the fcuk out"

as if we weren't chilled out enough .. on wait a minute, we're all corp sluts angling for downtime and minimal - no pun - effort.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:12 pm

steve shearer wrote:How queer that the biggest, most maligned kook vehicle of all time , the mini-mal , has been rebranded as a mid length and is now considered the epitome of Cool.
Its an extension of geek culture. What used to be very uncool is now cool, because cool people do what everyone else doesn't.

Mid lengths - formerly kook, now cool. Computers/fantasy/anime/etc - formerly geek, now cool. Craft beers - formerly crotchety old men, now cool. Beards - formerly only for outcasts, tramps and craft beer drinkers, now cool. Plaid shirts were 'totally westie' when I were a lad.

On the other hand, Levis - formerly cool, now not. Various surf brands the same. Gelled hair

Give it time, everyone will be surfing a mid length and then HPSBs will be cool.

Either that or its because gen Y is too lazy to learn to do anything properly; a mid length is the perfect board to sort of surf without trying too hard.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:22 pm

I think there is a kernel of truth in that last sentence.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:15 pm

steve shearer wrote:How queer that the biggest, most maligned kook vehicle of all time , the mini-mal , has been rebranded as a mid length and is now considered the epitome of Cool.
so are you saying that i was well ahead of my time, and in retrospect you're now deeply sorry for your former mockery?
:-D-:
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:45 pm

Like everything depends how you ride them and what you ride them in. But yeah agree easier to try and look like you don't care when you can't ride a short board as a Y. But they still ain't cool cause Alex Knost is a Douche, he be no Bonzer rider (maybe he is paid to ride them now and again) and be promoting RVCA rider/shapers like Ellis in this article. Can't help be cynical about someone being cynical about the hipster thing when he is the epitome of it and demonstrates on a great scale in this article.Bit of a parody of himself.

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:00 pm

:shock:
Last edited by lostman on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

lostman
charger

Post by lostman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:10 pm

Have never quite got Knost. Being in Noosa & surrounded by his disciples it is hard not to be aware of him (not a bad surfer but tries so hard to be "unique" he kooks it most of the time). Saw him around several times in different locations during the festival this year, ie surf, car park, bar, etc and every fcuking time he had some knob taking photos of him.
Just getting in his car was a photo op?? He is the most narcissistic tool I have ever come across (besides woodenbong). I now understand the hipster/surfer/muso/artist/wanknob scene much better. Look at me, look at me .. I am so cool trying so hard to act like I don't give a fuck someone just take my pic so I can put it on my blog. His little cock smoking buddy Erickson is of the same mold, although I am jealous as fcuk of his lifestyle and I will admit he rips on those stupid little finless thingys!
Want a parody.. Any tool riding a Thomas board. Docs party this year was a sad scene of self obsessed wankerism, it surely can't get any worse??
Oh yeah.. my 7'2 Diverse GM kills it on the points when it's on! It ain't no mini mal
andy2476 wrote:my regular cafes have specialty barristas.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:22 am

Surfing is full of posers, on all types of boards.

I'm struggling with my knee at the moment, so I'll ride whatever the hell I need to to get out there haha. A good midlength is just a beauty to have in the racks.

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:04 am

People get het up about all sorts of funny things.

If someone wanted to pay you to surf and make bad art while looking like you didn't care you'd be all over it like white on rice.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:18 am

As a former performer in the public eye yourself I think your point of view might be swayed toward the narcissist Boo.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

alakaboo
Huey's Right Hand

Post by alakaboo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:49 am

But that's entirely my point loof, one whiff of fame and even a right-minded cubemonkey like myself is donning the happy pants and spending their days smelling like kero, surrounded by people who only eat things that grow within 3 miles of their teepee.

Having spent the last few days in Byron I'm fairly glad I got that out of my system before the arrival of smartphones

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:11 am

You reckon? I think most of the pros carry themselves well. This lot lick dogs balls.They kind of have ruined it for people who like mid lengths and so called alternative boards.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:19 am

I dont know Boo, i think you got perfoming in your bloood or you dont. When that spotlight shines... Like a moth to the flame burned by the fire.
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:02 am

When cool is just another image its uncool; when cool is just a marketing strategy its uncool; if cool is just what you do for you, no ulterior motives, it might be cool, but who cares.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

channels
Duke Status

Post by channels » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:02 am

Looking cool is the reason so many people jumped on over rockered, under volumed potato chip boards in the mid 90's and look where that approach ended.

Ride what works for you.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:39 pm

channels wrote:Ride what works for you.
Looking cool works for me...

Its hard to be ironic when you are out of breath ticky tacking your shortboard

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:13 pm

I like Alex's style on a log and his midlength style is highly unusual. He's got a band doesn't he?
I get the impression he gets seriously wasted most of the time and is benefiting from doing a bit of MOTE flashback at the moment. Probably looks cool from the States.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Cuttlefish
barnacle

Post by Cuttlefish » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:28 pm

lostman wrote:Have never quite got Knost. Being in Noosa & surrounded by his disciples it is hard not to be aware of him (not a bad surfer but tries so hard to be "unique" he kooks it most of the time). Saw him around several times in different locations during the festival this year, ie surf, car park, bar, etc and every fcuking time he had some knob taking photos of him.
Just getting in his car was a photo op?? He is the most narcissistic tool I have ever come across (besides woodenbong). I now understand the hipster/surfer/muso/artist/wanknob scene much better. Look at me, look at me .. I am so cool trying so hard to act like I don't give a **** someone just take my pic so I can put it on my blog. His little cock smoking buddy Erickson is of the same mold, although I am jealous as fcuk of his lifestyle and I will admit he rips on those stupid little finless thingys!
Want a parody.. Any tool riding a Thomas board. Docs party this year was a sad scene of self obsessed wankerism, it surely can't get any worse??
Oh yeah.. my 7'2 Diverse GM kills it on the points when it's on! It ain't no mini mal
Funny stuff Lostman.
Surfed a few times at Noosa during the festival of longboarding and noticed those guys with their ghetto set up at the car park. Funnily enough only a few years ago it was hard to spot anyone with an alternative board at Noosa but now they are all over it.
Yeah, the GM is a great stick. Had that tracker feel before they went and re-issued them. My 7'6" GM lives in Bali now.
Only a rat can win the rat race.