Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

surfywurfy
regular

Re: Midlengths

Post by surfywurfy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:34 am

No, theres a "ghost" in Byron doing his boards...or theres the Cobra factory ones.

GMs trying to learn to reverse a 5th wheeler, as he does a lap!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:51 pm

surfywurfy wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:57 am
Davros wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:37 am
I think the biggest problem with McCoy is Geoff McCoy
Yes and No....He is dogmatic and opinionated when it comes to design....I think its "yesterdays hero"syndrome. He did things his way,was it the right way?....in his mind Yes.

In the minds of(some) others,No.
McCoy had a huge opportunity a few years back to cash in on the voluminous and retro board craze. He could have repackaged his brand without compromising his design by keeping his loaded dome but hipping up his boards, partnering with someone like RVCA and making it like KT26's used to be a few years back (ironic cool). He'd need a Ellis Erickson or similar to ride them in good waves etc....

I'd compare it to Quinten Tarantino making John Travolta cool again (well for a while anyway)

I know you think I'm evil, but it would have been so easy to do and his boards would live on for longer. The purest would puke as would others but its not them trying to make ends meet by pushing old ugly coloured designs.

I always thought the Black Stump restaurants could be relaunched as something family but slightly 70's edgy/fun. The basics where there just like McCoy.

So McCoy is left with a niche board and fading riders. It's a wasteof a design people seem to love.
Last edited by Davros on Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:02 pm

A major surf brand offered to buy his brand about 15 odd years ago....the price was enough for him to retire then and there.

He told em to stick it.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Dumb. His designs will die and soon. A nod to yesteryear.

Bonzers are now made by CI and have made a great comeback otherwise, they have a chance.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:29 pm

BONZERS? they sell more of them now than when they briefly made an appearance mid 70s.I saw Richo riding one at Pipe,i didn't see many others.
Mind you, they came along when McCoy was a major brand and GM influenced many shapers.

GM will die before his designs,and in the meantime he will collect the royalties.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:00 pm

I think the whole McCoy thing is one of the biggest disappointments in surfing. Mainly because there was a guy with a great idea but stopped being dynamic and got stuck in the mud because he couldn't change. It's a metaphor.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Have u owned one?...Have you ridden one?

Go over to the Nugget Rider Facebook group that stretches around the world,the only disappointment is that he cant shape forever.

The biggest disappointment is this retardation to longboards....Y go backwards?...the only waves they can ride well are knee to waist high that don't have any grunt....SUPing in the surf is pretty well beyond belief(but on flatwater a good fitness tool).

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:00 pm

I surf nearly every day in Sydney and am hard pressed to see a McCoy. I don't need to go on a FB site. That doesn't mean they aren't a good board, I think it's just packaged the wrong way.

Like so said I think it's disappointing he got caught on the one design and has been unmovable since then. It could have been so much more for him and other surfers.

Its not an emotional subject for me. I'll try one maybe. But for now I think he capped his market to beginners, people who like to periodically experiment and old cunz fighting off the temptation to move to a long board and the .00001% of the surfing market who actually dig his thing and ride them in good conditions.

Ok. Im done with fighting about McCoy.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:05 pm

Now I want to try one again haha

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:07 pm

Grrrrrrr :lol:

buddy
Snowy McAllister

Post by buddy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Well they must feel good because all the videos I've seen and the times up close, they look like dogs.
The best surfing on them was by Cheyne, way back when.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Oh buddy

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:02 pm

buddy wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:27 pm
Well they must feel good because all the videos I've seen and the times up close, they look like dogs.
The best surfing on them was by Cheyne, way back when.
Apart from Cheyne some other surfers have used his designs at different times.

Some of these include Shane Herring, Nat Young,Col Smith,Mark Warren,Bruce Raymond,Pam Burridge,Damian Hardman, oh and Mark Richards.

As well as many others.

GM went thru some private life hiccups and decided on another direction, ie not to pursue the pro Circus direction.

His boards work,ask any long time owner.

Don't like the look?....who buys a surfboard because of looks???

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Lol

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:13 pm

Davros wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:00 pm
I surf nearly every day in Sydney and am hard pressed to see a McCoy. I don't need to go on a FB site. That doesn't mean they aren't a good board, I think it's just packaged the wrong way.

Like so said I think it's disappointing he got caught on the one design and has been unmovable since then. It could have been so much more for him and other surfers.

Its not an emotional subject for me. I'll try one maybe. But for now I think he capped his market to beginners, people who like to periodically experiment and old cunz fighting off the temptation to move to a long board and the .00001% of the surfing market who actually dig his thing and ride them in good conditions.

Ok. Im done with fighting about McCoy.
Well look at his website, its still up, the business is still in place.

4 or 5 variations of his nugget design, 3 gun designs,2 longboard designs AS well as his retro stuff....caught up on the 1 design?????
The only constant is he uses a convex bottom.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Ok SW I will!!

godsavetheking
Duke Status

Post by godsavetheking » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:37 pm

McCoys are fine. I reckon for your average bloke it does you no harm at all to ride something that's neutral for a bit. You certainly make more turns, maybe learn a bit more about foot placement as the board sits placidly underneath you. Personally, I got a bit bored with the feeling after a while but plenty love them. And they're certainly well made. I dewaxed my two prior to sale the other day and the decks are almost unmarked. One of them was made in '95, I think, the other 10 years ago
Beanpole wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:06 pm
Why would I wear a mask?

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:45 pm

Mine date back to 95, the logo Vic Ford designed..Formula One....was the days it was McCoy not Geoff McCoy Designs.