Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

carvin marvin
charger

Re: Midlengths

Post by carvin marvin » Thu May 04, 2017 6:48 am

Cranked wrote:
JaM71 wrote:What quad fins are u gonna try Cranky? Sounds like a super fun experiment, I like the outline of the zot
I've got 2 sets of Stretch quads, might as well use them.

But anything around an FCS M5 at the front and GQ for the rears is OK. Sometimes I like the feel of double foiled in the rear.

I'm still impressed by the McCoy Gullwing single, but it's brilliance at one moment is balanced by its unpredictability at the next. Plus I can't seem to get it to accelerate quickly enough in the first, and critical, 10' of the wave, nor get a rhythm for turns in a lot of situations

Quadzoting sounds like a great idea, especially putting in plugs so that you can try different fin combinations.

It also leaves open the option of a 12'' centre fin box and experimenting with 5 fin combinations.

I have a Bob Simmons/ McCoy nugget hybrid with 5 fin boxes, it has a gullwing positioned forward in the 12'' box and standard quad fins in the other 4 boxes.

The feel is that you get heaps of push off the five fins and easily get into a good rhythm.

One 4 fin combination I want to try in the future is a pair of normal quad fins in the front plugs and a pair of bonzer fins in the back plugs, was listening to Malcom Cambell talk about the angled bonzer fin becoming vertical during a turn and its positive effect and it got me wondering if anyone has tried combining the two.

When I was doing some research to find out if anyone has tried this I came across this site.
http://justbonzers.blogspot.com.au/2010 ... chive.html

Some interesting fin combinations but the bonzer fins are glassed on and that limits the experimentation possibilities.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Thu May 04, 2017 6:54 am

So many fin combos you can try with fin boxes.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:06 am

Beanpole wrote:
Cranked wrote:
surfywurfy wrote: The ONLY good thing about Zots is that its a lot easier to add plugs for side fins. QUAD UP AND FLY!
Dropped the two Zots off this morning to have plugs for quad fins glassed on.
Better not tell Geoff. You may be struck by a lightning bolt.
I love storms :-D-:

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:14 am

carvin marvin wrote:So many fin combos you can try with fin boxes.
Is that a mcoy?....ha ha ha

2016 was a monumental year for GM, he actually caught up on 25 years of innovation by including detachable fin options on his customs.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:24 am

Cranked wrote:
surfywurfy wrote: The ONLY good thing about Zots is that its a lot easier to add plugs for side fins. QUAD UP AND FLY!
Dropped the two Zots off this morning to have plugs for quad fins glassed on.
Ive owned 7 Mcoys that had interchangeable fin combos.....a Quad set up has been far the best surfing sensation up to this point in time.

Its 5 years now consistently riding a 4 fin nugget , my go 2 board.Occasionally i'll jump on the 3 fin minigun(15.5tail) or semigun(14tail) which go well.They may also perform better as quads,i'll report on that later this year.

For gutless malstyle waves I use an 8/0 poxy Mcnugget with carbon MR twins but no centre stabiliser....fast loose and fun, if theres such a thing in knee high stuff.Its better than not having a surf! :-D-:

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:28 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-5AhAnX200

Hes been riding singles for the last 30 years!

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:30 am

And if they go ordinary in that config, you can always try to spin the side fins around 180 to see how they go ;)
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Thu May 04, 2017 8:33 am

surfywurfy wrote:

2016 was a monumental year for GM, he actually caught up on 25 years of innovation by including detachable fin options on his customs.
Not Sure.
But I'm guessing its a Horan model.

Taking assym fin setups to the extreme.
Last edited by carvin marvin on Thu May 04, 2017 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Thu May 04, 2017 8:34 am

A bonzer zot! All would be forgiven, I think the deep concaves on Malcolm's bonzers work in conjunction with the angled side fins so this might be an issue for the dome.....but please let us know if ya bonzer up ya zot. Please send GM a pic & let us know his response :lol:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

carvin marvin
charger

Post by carvin marvin » Thu May 04, 2017 8:38 am

JaM71 wrote:A bonzer zot! All would be forgiven, I think the deep concaves on Malcolm's bonzers work in conjunction with the angled side fins so this might be an issue for the dome.....but please let us know if ya bonzer up ya zot. Please send GM a pic & let us know his response :lol:
Gunna call it Quabonzazoting.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Thu May 04, 2017 8:55 am

Yeah, that rolls off the tongue easy Marvin

Sands pretty good at the moment, heading out in a minute

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Fri May 05, 2017 7:42 am

Anyone ever owned an outer islands mondo ?

http://www.outerislandsurfboards.com/boards/mondo.html

"A great performance all rounder in the mid length range. Semi double ender outline, fast single to double concave and spiral chine entry. This board is a hi performance alternative delivering great paddling, smooth glide and transitions for everyday surfing and point breaks. A great choice for guys who enjoy surfing classic lines and for the larger rider."

Reckon a 7'2 - 7'6 single fin version of it would be insane and would cover a lot of ground, from small peelers to massive point and reef surf (same outline as my 6'10 rabbidge)
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Fri May 05, 2017 10:05 am

No but I had an outer supermal briefly. Very refined boards for the dims. Needed push in the wave, and I don't surf those kind of waves enough, certainly not at the moment. Thought at 8' I could use it in smaller waves while handling bigger stuff. Didn't really like smaller waves ( it's not meant to though ).

Outers would be right up your alley hatchy. Beautiful boards and very high quality build.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Fri May 05, 2017 11:04 am

Good for HM who scouts out reefs on bigger days. I've eyed that model off for years but I'm 90% beach breaks and if big enough the duck diving would kill me

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Fri May 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Anyone ever owned an outer islands mondo ?

"A great performance all rounder in the mid length range. Semi double ender outline, fast single to double concave and spiral chine entry. This board is a hi performance alternative delivering great paddling, smooth glide and transitions for everyday surfing and point breaks. A great choice for guys who enjoy surfing classic lines and for the larger rider."

Reckon a 7'2 - 7'6 single fin version of it would be insane and would cover a lot of ground, from small peelers to massive point and reef surf (same outline as my 6'10 rabbidge)
Yes,I owned a 7/8..21...2(7/8) as well as a dozen other Outers....they all go fast,the more they flex,the faster they go.
As far as the Supernal comments go,I had 4 of varying lengths.They work from 3ft plus....knee to waist high get a log.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:54 pm

Hatchnam wrote:Anyone ever owned an outer islands mondo ?

I love the planshapes on these boards. I can see it as a 6'0 through to a 7'6.

For me at 5'10 and 80kg's
6'0 HPSB 6'0 x 19.5 x 2.5 Low rockered
6'6 4+1 Point break machine. 6'6 x 20 x 2.5 Low entry medium tail
7'0 2+1 Channel tube shooter. 7' x 20.5 x 2.75 smooth medium rocker
7'6 Performance midlength. 7'6 x 21.5 x 3 (I'd like to round the nose off a bit to help with forward surfing) Low entry medium tail rocker.

I love to dream.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Farrrrrk! The outline on the Outers looks sweeeeet.....Steve's 6 channel Ox quad express from the other thread looks the shizzle as well.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Sat May 06, 2017 7:12 am

carvin marvin wrote:
surfywurfy wrote:

Not Sure.
But I'm guessing its a Horan model.

Taking assym fin setups to the extreme.
I am not feeling the board but RS members take note of the boardies & vest colours coordinating with the board logo. It's in the details Davros & Cranky :lol: