Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JaM71
charger

Re: Midlengths

Post by JaM71 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:39 am

Sounds horrendous,You need to sort that issue out immediately cranked. I don't know what's worse the boardies or surftech :lol:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:59 am

Hatchnam wrote: 4-5 foot greenhills on those south swell days where it's big long walls pushing through. point breaks when it's breaking a little full. Places like the north end of Shelly beach central coast, with a bowly take off then emptying into a long fatter faced wall. Green island anytime. Etc.
I never go to Greenhills/Wanda without my green single fin on the roof. Some of the best sessions I've had on it have been on the right hander in head high, high tide walls.

I think the mini mal stigma often depends on where you are geographically and what the local shapers are doing.
I often get stopped on the beach by people of all ages when surfing my 7'7 to ask about it.
Stu Paterson shapes heaps of them.

I feel for my 5'10 and 80kg that 7'7 is probably a bit big. When I retire it, I'm going across to a firewire Seaxe 7'2 or 7'6 if they still make them when i get around to it.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 03, 2017 12:32 pm

Look if I have to keep telling you bastards to go and get a cut down *DVS All Rounder I'll scream.

* not the Board Agency version

I had and loved a NPJ thinned out 6'10 Whales Tounge.** It went unreal but I then got confused about surfing and sold it. Idiot.

** see conversation about boards and surfer insecurity. Some guy who could hardly surf called it a fun board. He meant no malice but it ate away at me.

Actually that Whales Tounge really showed me a few things about surfing. I was surfing with a very good short board rider. Basically a bit of a charger who lives in the Margaret River area. He asked me for a ride on the board, I was surprised to see he couldnt really surf it properly and looked really awkward. He commented that it was a lot harder to ride than he thought and sheepishly handed the board back.Maybe there's different boards for different styles I thought.
Last edited by Davros on Wed May 03, 2017 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 03, 2017 1:43 pm

I totally agree. Longer rail length surfing is a skill that has by and large been lost at the CT level.
I know Carroll has an ultra high opinion of the skills of CT surfers but I'm more often surprised by how limited they are, not how masterful. There's only a handful of surfers on the CT who can really make a 6'10"-7'6" sing. Most of them are so keyed in on their high pef shorties that they don't have the skill set and neural pathways to ride longer boards.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:53 pm

Tell us more about the whale tongue Davros, I am intrigued. I ve only seen them on the UWL website & that clip of Rasta.

I live close to the boardroom in Miami who stock DVS boards. I often drop by for a fondle. His micro mals look interesting but once over 6" they blow out like a ..... dare I say it, a McCoy. The other thing with Dick is that u just don't know what you ll get, it was actually our very own Cuttlefish not RYAN Burch who ( accidently) started the assymetrical fad when he bought a DVS wasp off the rack only to find out afterwards the quad placement was out of whack!

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:05 pm

steve shearer wrote:I totally agree. Longer rail length surfing is a skill that has by and large been lost at the CT level.
I know Carroll has an ultra high opinion of the skills of CT surfers but I'm more often surprised by how limited they are, not how masterful. There's only a handful of surfers on the CT who can really make a 6'10"-7'6" sing. Most of them are so keyed in on their high pef shorties that they don't have the skill set and neural pathways to ride longer boards.
Not just longer boards, I think it's Ace Buchan at the 2:30 mark looking particularly uncomfortable on the tracks twinny: https://vimeo.com/121742040

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 03, 2017 2:07 pm

Neural pathways; there is a guy who surfs at Curly, he rides in high performance longboard in comps (might be sponsored by Bennett) he has it so wired, he never screws up. I saw him on a shortboard a few weeks ago, he was amazing on that as well, but prefers his long board. A rarity to see but great to watch and can't help but respect the multiple of skills.

Whales Tounge is basically a wider nosed, flatter entry Purcho 2+1. Mine had a super doomed deck. I rode it with this 8 inch sort of Greenough fin. It rode like that clip with Harrison Roach. A great open face carve machine with a smooth as silk bottom turns and effortless rail transition. If I find some coin I'll get another soon.

Yeh on Dick Van. I've had a few of his boards and have loved how they ride but two were too large for me even though I'd asked to take out some foam. So I quickly sold them in for very little loss. Never selling the All Rounder, ever.
Last edited by Davros on Wed May 03, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 03, 2017 2:20 pm

JaM71 wrote:
steve shearer wrote:I totally agree. Longer rail length surfing is a skill that has by and large been lost at the CT level.
Not just longer boards, I think it's Ace Buchan at the 2:30 mark looking particularly uncomfortable on the tracks twinny: https://vimeo.com/121742040
I'm no expert but that twinny looked a bit thin. But Ace didn't look comfortable. Side note only Mick Mackie is allowed to say "peak moments". He makes awesome boards though S Jones.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed May 03, 2017 2:30 pm

JET01 wrote:I've had a couple of meyerhoffers. The 7'6 paddled like a 5'10. The 9'6 was good though. My mate just snapped his SLX epoxy one after about 5 years. Found another. He loves it. Turns better than any 9'6 he's ever ridden in 30 years of surfing.
I had a 9/6, didn't like it at all....also had an 8/0, was ok(but the XF nuggets are a mile better at that size, with MR carbon twins/no centre)

The 9/2 myabonka is strictly a comp board(this Saturday it gets a go).....comparing it with the many longboards ive owned, its much more manoueverable.Looks unusual sure ...but the performance is there.Fast & responsive but not a board(with its fragile construction & light weight)that id take out in solid waves.Best in weak thin swells.

Also own a 6/8....kinda half way between a nugget and a fish I suppose...goes OK...can remember the model name ?

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 03, 2017 2:43 pm

JET01 wrote:
Hatchnam wrote: 4-5 foot greenhills on those south swell days where it's big long walls pushing through. point breaks when it's breaking a little full. Places like the north end of Shelly beach central coast, with a bowly take off then emptying into a long fatter faced wall. Green island anytime. Etc.
I never go to Greenhills/Wanda without my green single fin on the roof. Some of the best sessions I've had on it have been on the right hander in head high, high tide walls.

I feel for my 5'10 and 80kg that 7'7 is probably a bit big. When I retire it, I'm going across to a firewire Seaxe 7'2 or 7'6 if they still make them when i get around to it.
How bout 5'9" and 90kg? :) my 7'4" jd would go well for someone of yours dims in decent waves I reckon.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed May 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks Davros, now I am all frothy & will spend this evening trawling the Internet for a whale tongue!

How did you find it in beachies of varying quality? I like mine to glide in early & high line section after section. Often a midlength & make 2-3 sections on a beachie while the average Joe on his JS can't make the first section.

No good in the sun, but carbon alrounders are supposed to be the shizzle

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Yeh I agree with you re: glide early. I found in Sydney beaches it had to be at least 3ft, not necessarily clean but needed a wall of some description, but it worked fine.I took it to Indo, it was fun.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed May 03, 2017 4:02 pm

JaM71 wrote:How did you find it in beachies of varying quality? I like mine to glide in early & high line section after section. Often a midlength & make 2-3 sections on a beachie while the average Joe on his JS can't make the first section.
This. plus once you get some speed up the momentum is there, and they loosen right up and you can swing them where you need to
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:27 pm

Beerfan wrote:
JET01 wrote:

How bout 5'9" and 90kg? :) my 7'4" jd would go well for someone of yours dims in decent waves I reckon.
the problem is the decent waves bit, I've got too many to choose from at the moment and each has its place.

1. 9'0 longboard (epoxy pop out from surfboard warehouse)
2. 7'7 x 22 x 2.9 PCC Midlength single
3. 6'8 x 20.5 x 2.85 PCC single fin
4. 6'8 x 21 x 2 3/4 Miller Waterskate
5. 6'2 x 19 5/8 x 2 7/16 DHD Sweet spot 2.0
6. 6'1 PCC single fin
7. 6'0 x 19.6 x 2.52 PCC shorty
8. 5'11 Firewire El Fuego
9. 5'9 Twin keel fish

Got a 6'2 bonzer for sale also. No space for a high performance midlength right now, but one day if the PCC 7'7 snaps or something....

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:29 pm

JET01 wrote:
Beerfan wrote:
JET01 wrote:

the problem is the decent waves bit, I've got too many to choose from at the moment and each has its place.

1. 9'0 longboard (epoxy pop out from surfboard warehouse)
2. 7'7 x 22 x 2.9 PCC Midlength single
3. 6'8 x 20.5 x 2.85 PCC single fin
4. 6'8 x 21 x 2 3/4 Miller Waterskate (i wanna put a finbox in this)
5. 6'2 x 19 5/8 x 2 7/16 DHD Sweet spot 2.0
6. 6'1 PCC single fin
7. 6'0 x 19.6 x 2.52 PCC shorty
8. 5'11 Firewire El Fuego
9. 5'9 Twin keel fish

Got a 6'2 bonzer for sale also. No space for a high performance midlength right now, but one day if the PCC 7'7 snaps or something....
Last edited by JET01 on Wed May 03, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed May 03, 2017 6:22 pm

7'6 x 21.5 x 2.75

Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Beanpole
That's Not Believable