Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Re: Midlengths

Post by Davros » Tue May 02, 2017 9:45 pm

6'8. Broke the nose off it. When those things grab the energy of the wave and it's hey ho keys go. Spoke to Mike Psillakis about Bonzers and he said "hmm a lot going on when you are shaping those things" code for I have the secrets.
Last edited by Davros on Tue May 02, 2017 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:47 pm

Batoes, I could be happy with a 3 board hipster quiver: the Gato, Sherpa & a Jye Byrnes bonzer. However, I would have to sell everything ...... hmmmm doable I suppose, but those hipsters just won't accept me as one of their own
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:52 pm

Davros wrote:6'8. Broke the nose off it. When those things grab the energy of the wave and it's hey ho keys go. Spoke to Mike Psillakis about Bonzers and he said "hmm a lot going on when you are shaping those things"
They look pretty versatile, I like the look of the ewing that some have

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 02, 2017 9:56 pm

Do people really care about what they look like walking down the beach? Really?

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue May 02, 2017 10:00 pm

JaM71 wrote:Batoes, I could be happy with a 3 board hipster quiver: the Gato, Sherpa & a Jye Byrnes bonzer. However, I would have to sell everything ...... hmmmm doable I suppose, but those hipsters just won't accept me as one of their own
Easily solved. Beard, tatts, poor business practices. :B

Still think you should keep you MLV. Special boards them bonzers!
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:28 pm

You really have to move on from the anus deel episode

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Wed May 03, 2017 6:14 am

Davros wrote:Do people really care about what they look like walking down the beach? Really?

Are you that old Dav that you have completely ceased caring about how you look, how you attract members of the opposite sex, admiring glances from the same sex?

I taught thousands of people how to surf. Almost to a man, woman and child they wanted to get off clunky learner boards/mini mals and ride a sleek short board. Not because they would have more fun in the water........invariably it would cruel their experiences and progress, but because they wanted to escape that kook stench and look cool with a board under their arm. It was the image of a surfer they craved, not the actuality.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Wed May 03, 2017 6:24 am

Davros wrote:Do people really care about what they look like walking down the beach? Really?
Amazingly some do!....For me its all about how it feels, the Pose doesn't come into it.

Ive ridden and owned some bizarre looking surfcraft...the BROWN ONION....a DEEP VEE bottom circa 68(stubby era) with a narrow nose(for that time)....it turned heads but for me was a dog.

FAT PENGUIN....ha ha....some of that design was good

Mya HOFFa....the first longboard goes great, I still own one but when it breaks(because they do)...i'll copy most of the features.

Seems to me that the Hipsters are more into the pose than the act.

Trev
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Trev » Wed May 03, 2017 6:48 am

steve shearer wrote:
I taught thousands of people how to surf.
Can't let this pass. :(
Beanpole
You aren’t the room Yuke You are just a wonky cafe table with a missing rubber pad on the end of one leg.

Skipper
I still don't buy the "official" narrative about 9/11. Oh sure, it happened, fcuk yeah. But who and why and how I'm, not convinced it was what we've been told.

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed May 03, 2017 7:01 am

I'd happily walk down the beach with a minimal. I'm with Iggy, especially for most of the time here a minimal works great

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed May 03, 2017 7:42 am

Trev wrote:
steve shearer wrote:
I taught thousands of people how to surf.
Can't let this pass. :(
Yes, the fact that surfers are a pack of posers is hardly new news.
So Steves the reason the surfs crowded at The Pass, eh?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:48 am

I've had a couple of meyerhoffers. The 7'6 paddled like a 5'10. The 9'6 was good though. My mate just snapped his SLX epoxy one after about 5 years. Found another. He loves it. Turns better than any 9'6 he's ever ridden in 30 years of surfing.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Wed May 03, 2017 8:13 am

Beerfan wrote:I'd happily walk down the beach with a minimal. I'm with Iggy, especially for most of the time here a minimal works great
I've had a mini mal (mid length for the socially anxious) in my quiver for about the last 10 years. Long before it suddenly became cool (or at least acceptable) to have one. have never once given a fk about what it looks like (to others) carrying it down to the beach. Only care about how a board performs. In smaller junky conditions they can turn slop into a lot of fun. In overhead walled up waves with some room to swing they can at times be a great option (flatter faced waves, covering ground, linking up sections, early entry, etc).

4-5 foot greenhills on those south swell days where it's big long walls pushing through. point breaks when it's breaking a little full. Places like the north end of Shelly beach central coast, with a bowly take off then emptying into a long fatter faced wall. Green island anytime. Etc.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 am

steve shearer wrote:

Are you that old Dav that you have completely ceased caring about how you look, how you attract members of the opposite sex, admiring glances from the same sex?

I taught thousands of people how to surf. Almost to a man, woman and child they wanted to get off clunky learner boards/mini mals and ride a sleek short board. Not because they would have more fun in the water........invariably it would cruel their experiences and progress, but because they wanted to escape that kook stench and look cool with a board under their arm. It was the image of a surfer they craved, not the actuality.
Admiring glances from the opposite sex? Lol.

Yep your right it infects all types. I have a very humble and smart friend who holds down a pretty serious job in the legal profession.His comments are well thought out and he offers measured opinions. You get the picture. He decided after a twenty year break to take up surfing again. He went and purchased a DHD Skeleton Key, he gleefully told me about the purchase, I said "oh yeh mate DHD good boards" I said "you may want to borrow my 7'6". He recently confided in me that his DHD was a big mistake and could he buy my 7'6, I said "keep it mate I won't be needing it". He took it to the Maldives.

Other side of the coin; I saw a guy in old footy shorts with a beaten up single get shacked to the max at really good Boomerang a few years back.

Actually thinking about it I did ask my girlfriend if my bum looked big in my wetsuit.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:38 am

Hatchnam wrote:
Beerfan wrote:I'd happily walk down the beach with a minimal. I'm with Iggy, especially for most of the time here a minimal works great
I've had a mini mal (mid length for the socially anxious) in my quiver for about the last 10 years. Long before it suddenly became cool (or at least acceptable) to have one. have never once given a fk about what it looks like (to others) carrying it down to the beach. Only care about how a board performs. In smaller junky conditions they can turn slop into a lot of fun. In overhead walled up waves with some room to swing they can at times be a great option (flatter faced waves, covering ground, linking up sections, early entry, etc).

4-5 foot greenhills on those south swell days where it's big long walls pushing through. point breaks when it's breaking a little full. Places like the north end of Shelly beach central coast, with a bowly take off then emptying into a long fatter faced wall. Green island anytime. Etc.
This! I have owned various single fins in the 6"8-7" range since the late 90's for these reasons. They re great if you re recovering from injury, tired, stiff, still injured or just feeling old. Some days I just want to glide, swoop & do a big drawn out carve... As long as I can turn them ok they re fun from knee high to overhead

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:41 am

Davros, its common practice for RS members to have several pairs of boardies to match their quiver, u must ve missed that memo....hang your head in shame!

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed May 03, 2017 9:59 am

:lol:

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed May 03, 2017 10:02 am

Oh, thanks for the heads up jam, my current boardies are a colourful floral design and they must clash horribly with the typical astron zot geometric spray.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan