Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Re: Midlengths

Post by Beanpole » Tue May 02, 2017 7:48 pm

Re:The Sherpa....He's making yet another variant on the carver and amping it up for the hipster market. That would suit me fine. His boards work well for older surfers.

Herring is hardly an average surfer.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 02, 2017 7:50 pm

no doubt.

This is George Greenough building a camera housing out of tyre tube and a hose clamp.

I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 02, 2017 7:53 pm

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Tue May 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Georges high tech lab. The couch on his front verandah.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Tue May 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Lens cover an old bottle end?
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 pm

Beanpole wrote:Re:The Sherpa....He's making yet another variant on the carver and amping it up for the hipster market. That would suit me fine. His boards work well for older surfers.

Herring is hardly an average surfer.
You didn't request an average surfer, you requested "someone"....,.it just so happens that someone rips, but rips on any other board too.

McT puts out a quality product and caters for a range of waveriders, one of his sponsored guys is pure hipster.So they are tapping into that market.And Yes, the Sherpa/carver variant will change slightly next year(shape wise) and boast a different name.my McT is similar shape to the Sherpa( its last years model) tails slightly narrower and quad fins.It'll ride waves with that eclectic glide,the Sherpa runs on 240v, mines on Solar!

Hatchnam
Duke Status

Post by Hatchnam » Tue May 02, 2017 8:43 pm

steve shearer wrote:Nice enough, draws a beautiful line off the bottom; typically restricted options off the top turn. But you'd really want a mid-length in perfect waves like that?
Fcuk that. My 5'10" bonzer trims out as good as that and I can put it anywhere I want it to go.

`This is a high priced hipster fashion item aimed at adult learners with money who can't really surf but want to catch waves and look good walking down the beach.
perfect waves? all i saw was a 3-4 foot sectioning beach break. punchy, clean and fun nevertheless. agree that a mid-length isn't suited. the mctavish rambler in the 6'0 to 6'4 range would be a much better choice for those waves if it was going to be a mctavish.
https://www.mctavish.com.au/collections/ramblers

and geoff should (again) make a sleeker version of his nugget. extra foam is good, but what's the point if the board's going to lose to much sensitivity in the process.
Sniff wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:39 am
Not enough for a full handbeak
steve shearer wrote:full dionysian hand jive body torque

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 pm

surfywurfy wrote:
JaM71 wrote:How can a Mccoy train wreck take over a midlength thread?

Anyways, be careful people, Batoes is a bad man, we all saw how he poured blood into the water & let the RS sharks attack poor anus deel. His other less public but equally as dastardly act in 2017 was to use me as the canary in the cage. He convinced me to buy a gato space pig a couple of months ago.

Fortunately, they re a super fun midlength & very versatile. Yes, they re great on the points as you would expect but also good on the open beachies. A 7'6 that u can duck dive! They take a couple surfs to figure out because u don't have concaves to use as an accelerator. But once u do I reckon they're faster than a concave bottom board. They can also handle a drop which is handy. I had a beautiful 7" egg which I sold last year because the nose would catch.

Ha Ha, maybe because McCoy recognised the gap between longboards and the anorexic stuff that was on the market in the mid 90s.

Geoff created the middle ground and since then plenty have followed.

The choice was to kook it out on those blob nosed waste of foam & fibreglass OR follow KSs low volume, so GM made boards for older guys who needed a bit more buoancy or BIG guys who wanted to actually surf( not walk up and down finding the trim spot).Funnily enough hes still doing it and since he introduced the nugget in 97"hes been busier than ever before"!
He sure did & his boards def work for some in good waves. He missed a trick tho by not making anything less than 3" thick & 6"6 in length us light weights can't bury those rails. Perhaps the lighter surf agency Thai made ones solve this problem.

I agree with a lot of his overall ideas about volume but he has very fixed ideas on the specifics.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 8:50 pm

McCoy does whats called a splinter....for people jumping off anorexic stuff onto his shapes....A sponsored rider has won an Ozzie Age title on one.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue May 02, 2017 8:57 pm

Surfy, does GM pay u a retainer plus commission or just straight commission? :lol:
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 9:00 pm

Its funny Jam, in 96 I went to Byron and bought a couple of McCoys.The 6/8 was 2.5 thick and the 7/0 was 2.75 thick.If you look at TSA website you will notice width and thickness descrease as the size decreases.All rounders and Lazer zaps go down to 2&5/8.Thats at 5/6.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 9:01 pm

lol

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 9:10 pm

I have no bias, Ive made boards for myself....was "part of the team"...(his words no mine) of a highly regarded shaper/designer.

The bottom line is McCoys work....espescially IF you tune the fins in....

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:18 pm

I agree Salty, I am 72kg & had a nugget a few years back, no way I could bury the rail. I had a chat to Geoff about the said board & he concluded that I needed more volume......the board was 6"6 & 3" thick :shock:

Malcolm Campbell also likes a generous dose of foam & under the arm they can feel chunky but in the water his boards don't feel corky & turn without restriction.

Just my experience, as long as we re having fun it doesn't matter

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Tue May 02, 2017 9:25 pm

And that's the beauty of NOW!....theres a huge choice, all ya gotta do is find what ya like.

batoes
charger

Post by batoes » Tue May 02, 2017 9:35 pm

I really enjoyed my time on my mccoy nuggets. I loathed the lazer zap - just couldn't get it work. I'm not backfooted enough. I also began to take issue with being talked into 3 inches of foam when it wasn't necessary for me. I would have loved a splinter or a really short zot or potbelly. They find a great line in barreling waves.

Jam - am super glad you went down the GH path and then talked me into one. The foil on them is super refined and they turn like a much shorter board. Looking forward to reports when you buy a sherpa :-D-:
Hatchnam wrote:
Filthy little hipster.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Tue May 02, 2017 9:38 pm

saltman wrote:
JaM71 wrote:I agree Salty, I am 72kg & had a nugget a few years back, no way I could bury the rail. I had a chat to Geoff about the said board & he concluded that I needed more volume......the board was 6"6 & 3" thick :shock:

Malcolm Campbell also likes a generous dose of foam & under the arm they can feel chunky but in the water his boards don't feel corky & turn without restriction.

Just my experience, as long as we re having fun it doesn't matter
I think Campbell does a lovely job of foiling out the tail out somewhat and balancing that volume
Whereas Geoff contends that extra tail volume helps paddling in , momentum and harnessing energy
While ago I had a Bonzer Egg, lovely rail shape and thickness.

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:40 pm

Yeah, perhaps it was the bulbous tail which was also contributing to my predicament. The tails on Malcolm's boards are pretty special, there is a lot going on in the back third of those puppies. A bonzer egg would be a great midlength, What length was yours Davros?