Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

JET01
barnacle

Re: Midlengths

Post by JET01 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:13 pm

Can't wait for my next opportunity to go south.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:38 pm

An Astron Zot story - maybe not quite a midlength for this thread, but close in volume.

I bought two Zots, a 6'8 and a 6'1, just before I left for Bali. I've been riding them and yeah, they drop in nicely and are solid and reliable, but there was certainly no high performance stuff going on. Very pedestrian I thought, and all this crap about how fast they were... just ridiculous hype as usual I concluded. Sucked in again!

I was kicking myself for believing Geof's hype, and was starting to wonder if I should sell them while they were still in perfect nick.

Then I went out to Temples early this morning on the 6'1. For the first hour it was pretty crappy, again no great rides.

Then most of the crowd left, just as the tide was right and the wind shifted to offshore. And suddenly it was on, three of us, waist to shoulder.

I've surfed this wave in these conditions pretty often. The best board so far has been a flat rockered 6'6 Byrne thruster fish. 150m rides, fast as fcuk, and able to link endless turns. Too my great surprise the Zot just took off and continued accelerating, no pumping needed, and it was loose as all fcuk as well, way looser than the Byrne, although I couldn't quite get the rhythm for endless big gouging carves like the Byrne.

Got 3 or 4 similar waves over a 30 minute period and then the crowd realised what was going on.

That sort of wave is really common in Indo, so they are both keepers now.

By the way, I've found McCoys don't really go in crappy conditions so I dont surf them in oz.

What I've found is they don't accelerate quickly until you engage the whole rail, then they start to fly and they sit up on the dome and get real loose as well. This applies to Nuggets and even more so for the Zots so far.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:40 pm

If they don't go well in crappy conditions, I'll give them a miss. I don't surf quality waves enough to justify such a purchase.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:43 pm

Agree

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:55 pm

Like every board perhaps

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:27 pm

I disagree. If the shaper doesn't surf quality waves they won't make a board that excels in quality waves. It's easy to make a board that surfs average in average waves. Chuck them into a fast hollow point break and it will be a different matter. A good shaper can make a board for either...but rarely something that will excel in both. An average shaper will make an average board.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:07 pm

Not sure there are any decent shapers who don't rip a tad on their product. Maybe a few of the older ones don't nowadays and that poses an interesting conundrum about them making performance boards for the younger/very good surfers or even the OK older surfer who still desires to get a little critical. Talking short boards, Simon Anderson seems intent on staying relevant re: performance boards, others may have unconsciously lost thier way a bit.
Last edited by Davros on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:28 am

There's boards that generate speed and boards that control it and some that do both do some degree. Horses for courses.

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:55 am

******Not a dig at McCoys or McCoy riders*********

Have to say the more I read about McCoys the less capable they seem compared to nearly every other board out there. Are they a novelty board in this day and age?

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:49 am

Yeah, but when they're on they are really on, the curves every where, wide tail and nose lift give a beautiful feeling quite unlike any other board.

That, and the fact that he makes high volume short boards that catch waves easily which means you don't have to go to midlengths just to catch (more) waves.

And I'm not saying midlengths aren't valid for a lot of other reasons than just catching more waves

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:15 am

Fair enough. Reckon if the decks where doomed a lot more and the rails lower they may compliment the loaded dome on the bottom by making the board a little more critical?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:49 pm

Too short and chunky is not what i like anymore. I decided this when I picked up a second hand 6'2 waterskate a few years ago. Even foils (for me) seem to be far easier to surf that big slabs of foam with thinned out tails.

That's why i love my midlength. rather than trying to squeeze a shitload of foam in a small package, I'd rather go longer, catch more waves, and enjoy a different style of surfing until the waves justify a shorter more high performance approach.

Each to their own.

surfywurfy
regular

Post by surfywurfy » Mon May 01, 2017 2:30 pm

Davros wrote:******Not a dig at McCoys or McCoy riders*********

Have to say the more I read about McCoys the less capable they seem compared to nearly every other board out there. Are they a novelty board in this day and age?
Stop reading and ride one! :-?

I wont comment on boards I haven't ridden, but ive ridden 50 odd boards that McCoys designed or shaped...dating back to Rons in the Dfin era,Bennets in the transitional year,KEYOs after than

And for the last 20 years ive owned 30+ Mccoys

I ride plenty of concaved boards too.....

GMs boards fit the waves like no other...no brutal acceleration like an Outer flextail but in the pocket SPEED and HOLD....the sweetest sensation going....Forget the singles, utter rubbish(IMO)

The glassed on thrusters do a job BUT when the detachable fins are tuned to your surfing and the conditions of the day....That's when the REAL mCoy bears fruit.... :B

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 01, 2017 7:47 pm

Okay....still never seen any footage of someone riding one well.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 01, 2017 9:10 pm

I don't know why he bangs on about conspiracy theories in the surf industry. People ride all sorts of shite these days. He's a semi household name as a shaper and designer. Always thought Cheyne would have won a world title on a different design.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JaM71
charger

Post by JaM71 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:48 pm

How can a Mccoy train wreck take over a midlength thread?

Anyways, be careful people, Batoes is a bad man, we all saw how he poured blood into the water & let the RS sharks attack poor anus deel. His other less public but equally as dastardly act in 2017 was to use me as the canary in the cage. He convinced me to buy a gato space pig a couple of months ago.

Fortunately, they re a super fun midlength & very versatile. Yes, they re great on the points as you would expect but also good on the open beachies. A 7'6 that u can duck dive! They take a couple surfs to figure out because u don't have concaves to use as an accelerator. But once u do I reckon they're faster than a concave bottom board. They can also handle a drop which is handy. I had a beautiful 7" egg which I sold last year because the nose would catch.
Davros: "But it felt a bit long and stiff"

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon May 01, 2017 9:50 pm

8' Nugget for sale on gumtree. Tuflite.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Mon May 01, 2017 10:08 pm

McCoy riders, like Geoff, are evangelical. I knew I'd get a bite.