Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Spoon
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Midlengths

Post by Spoon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:55 pm

I am also going through that stage with my powerglide. Had some great surfs up the coast but for some reason it doesn't seem to feel right in small sydney surf. Been riding my bob brown log since coming back from a shoulder op with a smaller fin and been having a blast so I am a bit lazy at the moment. Going to have another crack with the powerglide soon or look around for something as it would be good to get a good 7'ish travel board for all conditions.
Al this is gold. "She didn't realise I was fairly high and spent much of the evening trying to figure out why a purple and orange cow wanted me to climb a tree."

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Spoon wrote:I am also going through that stage with my powerglide. Had some great surfs up the coast but for some reason it doesn't seem to feel right in small sydney surf. Been riding my bob brown log since coming back from a shoulder op with a smaller fin and been having a blast so I am a bit lazy at the moment. Going to have another crack with the powerglide soon or look around for something as it would be good to get a good 7'ish travel board for all conditions.
I'd personally steer away from a mal shape nose if you need an alrounder like that.

If I was forced to sell up and buy one board for all conditions...

I'd get a 6'6 x 20 1/2 x 2 5/8 Miller Waterskate with a round tail channel bottom single fin and quad option.

Surely it doesn't get more versatile than that! :D
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:19 pm

Anyone ridden a Fowler Stoker V Machine - looks like a fun board...
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:26 pm

calling Cuttlefish...come in Cuttlefish.....

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:32 pm

The one board quiver is a myth. You need at least 4 boards.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:10 pm

I've got a 7' Carver Fish that suits very well as a travel board. Complements my regular old 8' epoxy carver.
Put your big boy pants on
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

Drailed
Huey's Right Hand

Post by Drailed » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:43 pm

JET01 wrote:The one board quiver is a myth. You need at least 4 boards.
Why would anyone want just one board. So many great designs and feelings to enjoy
Trev wrote:I have always had a lot of time for Dick
smnmntll wrote:Got one in the mouth once, that was pretty memorable

Davros
Snowy McAllister

Post by Davros » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:54 pm

Guy I surf with occasionally same board all conditions, overseas travel, had it in 10ft Padang Padang to 1 ft DY. It's a CI something I've never asked him. I surf a different board and he's always asking stacks of questions about it, but he'll surf this until it breaks. He's pretty handy without being great.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:19 pm

Davros wrote:Guy I surf with occasionally same board all conditions, overseas travel, had it in 10ft Padang Padang to 1 ft DY. It's a CI something I've never asked him. I surf a different board and he's always asking stacks of questions about it, but he'll surf this until it breaks. He's pretty handy without being great.
That's similar to Mccoys mindset. Same board, many waves on the same board, become one with your board.

Not a bad theory, just a f&$king boring one.

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:33 pm

Spoon wrote:I am also going through that stage with my powerglide. Had some great surfs up the coast but for some reason it doesn't seem to feel right in small sydney surf. Been riding my bob brown log since coming back from a shoulder op with a smaller fin and been having a blast so I am a bit lazy at the moment. Going to have another crack with the powerglide soon or look around for something as it would be good to get a good 7'ish travel board for all conditions.
I have to say I also find my powerglide needs a bit of push. Not much but maybe shoulder to head high faces to really feel alive; if its waist high then it just doesn't glide and its not really a board you can pump (well, I cant - and it defeats the point anyway I guess). However, I put in a 2+1 fin combo with relatively large side fins (I think the centre fin is an M7 and sides are M3) and its better (but it will start tracking if you add more fin). Took a bit of playing around tho to get a combo that worked. But its so easy to get up on it, very forgiving.

I sometimes wonder if the nose concave is an issue.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:03 pm

To me it felt like the rocker was fucked. It could be the concave in the nose but I doubt it. It just felt like it pushed water. I thought I was imagining things, so I gave it to a more experienced mate who said the same thing. It did everything else the website said, I could nose ride it, lay down turns, nice glide in good surf.... Paddled like a dog though.
I ended up selling it to a guy who surfing it for about 2 years then put it back on the gumtree. It was snapped up within hours of being posted.
Odd thing is, you rarely ever see powerglides second hand. Mine and an orange railed 7'0 are the only two I can remember (I live on the gumtree and eBay) in about 3 years.
I'd be more likely to get a subX these days.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:56 am

Opinions on NSP Midlengths?
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:35 pm

i've only ever ridden a 6'8 NSP funboard. It was tough as nails but and heavy.

Beanpole
That's Not Believable

Post by Beanpole » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:56 pm

Yes, but surfable......or a total dog?
I once bought a Softop to replace my waterlogged MacT.
Changed fins around. Tried it in different waves. Decided it was inherently fcuked by comparison.
I mean, tastebuds? WGAF?

ctd
barnacle

Post by ctd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:24 pm

A lot of people seem to prefer the torq ones in that price range (I think torq is cheaper). Talking around; I've not surfed either.

JET01
barnacle

Post by JET01 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Beanpole wrote:Yes, but surfable......or a total dog?
I once bought a Softop to replace my waterlogged MacT.
Changed fins around. Tried it in different waves. Decided it was inherently fcuked by comparison.
I didn't surf it for long enough to really decide... Just gave it a crack on a camping trip once. He doesn't surf much and actually had the centre fin in one of the side boxes from memory.
Wasn't memorable like some of the other boards I've ridden.

Cranked
Duke Status

Post by Cranked » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:43 pm

Beanpole wrote:Opinions on NSP Midlengths?
I believe the whole range is now designed by the long time Torquay shaper Kym Thompson (Watercooled). They have improved hugely over the last few years.
“I don’t necessarily agree with everything I say ”— Marshall McLuhan

Beerfan

Post by Beerfan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:14 pm

There's an 8'ish carabine in the local surf shop. Wide but pulled in pointy nose, looks around 8'. I don't want to go in and look because I'll want it