Midlengths

A place for longboarders, eggers, fish riders... if alternative surfcraft is your game, here's the place to chat about it

Moderators: collnarra, PeepeelaPew, Butts, Shari, the kalakau kid, Forum Moderators

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Re: Midlengths

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu May 21, 2015 7:01 pm

Incorrect, it was done on boogie boards as I said at the time, and alaias.

In fact I was almost universally bagged on the basis that the parallel profile concept is a supposedly bad idea. The real reason was in my opinion simply jealousy.

Now go ahead and post pictures of parallel profile surf boards pre 1994.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu May 21, 2015 7:05 pm

Here's one:

Last edited by Roy_Stewart on Thu May 21, 2015 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu May 21, 2015 7:11 pm

Joe Engel won the Bells Easter comp in '83 on a DVS shaped board with a concave deck ....... George Greenough lowered his centre of gravity to 1/8" above water surface in 196(?)......I am currently doing a restoration on an 18'6" plywood racing paddle board( '61)that is convex FWD of centre , and concave behind centre where the paddler sits , to lower the center of gravity......deck concave is an efficient way to lower COG , while maintaining thickness and buoyancy in the rails.
Last edited by kayu on Thu May 21, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu May 21, 2015 7:17 pm

kayu wrote:Joe Engel won the Bells Easter comp in '83 on a DVS shaped board with a..............concave deck .
Show me a pre 1994 parallel profile surfboard ( apart from alaias and boogie boards)

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu May 21, 2015 7:22 pm

In any case who was first is completely irrelevant.

I merely pointed out that people almost universally thought the pp idea was wrong, when clearly it is not.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu May 21, 2015 7:22 pm

I read, yes on the internet, someone opine that a midlength was just a thruster with a round nose. Not entirely correct sure, but it did give me a wry smile.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu May 21, 2015 7:40 pm

Not correct in any sense since length implies nothing regarding shape or fins... it shows how dense the person is,

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu May 21, 2015 7:50 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:
kayu wrote:Joe Engel won the Bells Easter comp in '83 on a DVS shaped board with a..............concave deck .
Show me a pre 1994 parallel profile surfboard ( apart from alaias and boogie boards)
As far as I'm aware Roy , your the only person that has much interest in parallel profile for surfboards.....I have no interest in pp profiles because they make both ends of the board too fat.... I like flotation through the middle , and decreasing towards both ends.

foamy
Snowy McAllister

Post by foamy » Thu May 21, 2015 7:55 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:Not correct in any sense since length implies nothing regarding shape or fins... it shows how dense the person is,
You are correct, of course Roy. I assume it is just the midlength style strongly favoured in his local area. Just part of the rich tapestry.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Thu May 21, 2015 7:57 pm

kayu wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:
As far as I'm aware Roy , your the only person that has much interest in parallel profile for surfboards.....I have no interest in pp profiles because they make both ends of the board too fat.... I like flotation through the middle , and decreasing towards both ends.
In other words you can't find any but won't admit it.

Volume decreases towards the ends even with a parallel profile, naturally such an obvious fact isn't apparent to you though.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Thu May 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Roy_Stewart wrote:
In other words you can't find any but won't admit it.

Volume decreases towards the ends even with a parallel profile, naturally such an obvious fact isn't apparent to you though.
Volume decreases by planshape , yes......but if you prefer my reply to be blunt and to the point , you are trying to promote something that no one wants or has much interest in.......weve had this discussion on several forums over quite a few years.......fact is , there's not much benefit in the pp profile that anyone can see apart from yourself...... actually original balsa boards were generally pp in profile , with the bottom curve planed up towards the tip to reduce nose diving.....but design quickly moved beyond that.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri May 22, 2015 6:55 am

Yeah volume decreases via planshape area even with a parallel profile, so your statement was plain wrong.

Lol a board with a tapered nose profile isn't parallel profile at all, and we only have your word that the rest of the board ( i.e. not including the nose) is parallel profile. Show us a picture of it or stfu.

Anyway you already posted one of the main benefits of a parallel profile i.e. it lowers the centre of gravity... for any given volume... and it also promotes flex and provides the ideal basis for a constant rail section.

Thin noses are a poor feature, especially pointed ones... thick and soft and rounded is the best way.... George Greenough realised this recently.

As for no one wanting parallel profile, that's BS of the first order... I'm very busy making them and they are going out the door as fast as I can produce them. Whether or not someone wants something has F all to do with the design discussion anyway, but it's your usual weak method by which you attempt to divert the discussion away from the subject.

Boards have been moving closer to the parallel profile for decades, just look at the difference in shortboard profiles today compared with the dogs of the 70's 80's and 90's with their ghastly thick in the middle and fat rail in the middle profiles.

As usual you are full of shit.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri May 22, 2015 7:10 am

A nose like this just works better than a thin point, I'm not going to tell you why but George Greenough knows one of the reasons so go and ask him.

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri May 22, 2015 8:03 am

PP has nothing to do with lowering the COG Roy...(lol)....it just make the ends thicker......when you create a PP , the COG does not change until you reduce the thickness of the profile.
Last edited by kayu on Fri May 22, 2015 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve shearer
BUTTONMEISTER

Post by steve shearer » Fri May 22, 2015 8:11 am

Roy_Stewart wrote:Here's one:

How big is that one Roy? Board looks sweet as.
I want Nightclub Dwight dead in his grave I want the nice-nice up in blazes

kayu
Local

Post by kayu » Fri May 22, 2015 8:13 am

[quote="Roy_Stewart"

it's your usual weak method by which you attempt to divert the discussion away from the subject.

.[/quote].....the subject is "mid lengths" , actually.

Roy_Stewart
barnacle

Post by Roy_Stewart » Fri May 22, 2015 9:21 am

steve shearer wrote:
Roy_Stewart wrote:Here's one:

How big is that one Roy? Board looks sweet as.
Thanks Steve, she's an 8 footer, 44 litres at 1.75" thick, low rocker, fast and smooth.

huie
Local

Post by huie » Fri May 22, 2015 3:41 pm

for farcks sake roy give it a break
vol reduction was on many shapers minds in the sixty's ( when you were in short pants i would guess) with so much else going on it was an ongoing process,
but i will tell you this an 1.75 thick with fat ends would be laughed at then, ''as it is today''

volume placement is more where you need to look.